Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Price difference in cars for sale ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've sold 3 cars in the last year, 77 TA, 62 Nova and I just parted company with a very nice 69 Camaro for 70k. The first two went by CL and word of mouth. The latter, consignment.

BJ sells resto rod 69's for 100k plus but they don't have a good track record on restored/street cars. I only have one muscle car left and I am starting to think about selling her before the market gets too soft. I don't do the BJ route with muscle cars, the wrong car there will get creamed. Drop an LS in it and corvette suspension though and you will get rewarded. Not BJ's fault, different buyers in attendance and you have to know your buyer!

I found a nice consignment house in Bellevue, WA (Seattle) that does a great job of advertising nationally and gets me what I expect. Honest, fair, paid me about a week after the sale, no complaints. Park Place Motors. They will sell my 442 when it is time.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, got the hook out for that one fish that just has to thave that model of car right now and has the $$$$$ to buy it.

Hell of a lot easier to start high and get bargained down to what you actually have to have than start out at that price and get lowballed.

I think there is the "yes dear, I am trying to sell it but no one wants to pay my price" thing a bit too.

My sister in law buys me a Hemmings sub as a gift as she remembers the cars I had when she was between 8 and 13. I don't put a lot of credence in the asking prices most of the time I don't think it has the selling power that it did pre internet either. Had a friend named Jerry Roland (well known to Mercury guys) who sold a bunch of parts on Hemmings every month and shipped them all over the world.

Someone mentioned the guys trying to sell dated or out of date street rods or other out of date rides for stiff prices If you ever scroll though the first couple of pre TV days of a big Barrett Jackson you see obviously dated cars that you think "no way can you build that car for that" the sellers are probably a bit in shock that the car they paid 80K to build in 1990 sold for 17K but the buyer got a solid car that with a fresh paint job and wheel and tire change plus a few minor details will be all up to date again. Not much alcohol flowing in those first couple of days and no 15 seconds of fame on TV with whistle britches helping you bid so the rides bring what they are actually worth.
    '

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cheap is not good, good is not cheap

els and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I’ve got one for thought...
    A 1963 box top Galaxie with a 427.

Legit, it would be a high dollar car maybe 50k and up.

The thing is though, it’s not legit.

Here’s where it gets tricky.
    It’s a 289 3 speed car. A nice 289 car has some value.

Let’s say 10k for a nice example.

But it has damage. A tree has crunched the roof and a quarter. The damage is not catastrophic but the roof and quarter is wrinkled. The glass is intact and the damage does not affect drivability.

With that damage though, it brings the price of said 289 car down quite a bit. In my opinion to 4K or so.

That’s not all. Someone without a color wheel or any concept of taste reupholstered the car in black vinyl trimmed with violet.:rolleyes:

Not only that, they airbrushed God Awful Violet scallops down the side of what was pristine original black paint.

That warped lost in the 50s crap brings the value of said 289 Galaxie down some more.
    2500 3k imho.....

Now for the engine.
    It’s an honest to God crossbolt 427. But it too has been monkeyed with.

While opening the hood is impressive. Enthusiasm quickly dims. It looks like every item from both Summit and Jegs is on the dang thing.
    Aftermarket Dual Quads...
    Billet Air Cleaner...
    Aftermarket aluminum heads...
    Big honking Electronic ignition with the fat red wires...
    Big coil module...
    A massive set of jet hot headers....

Now all of that is high dollar stuff but for this application.... A 427??
    It kills it.
    It’s going to take a wheel barrow full of money.... just to find the Ford stuff.
    Another thing... since it looks like pro street on the outside, what’s been done to the inside?

I my opinion that car with the 427 as is is 5-10K.
    I was asked to value the car.....
    I had a hard time. All I could say is it’s not a real high dollar car.

Do you think an add is going to tell the real story....

For Sale 1963 Galaxie with the rare dual quad 427....$90,000o_O

Com4tablynumb likes this.
  5. Simple.......prices should be all over the map, corresponding with the build quality and depth. Unfortunately too many guys think their nice driver quality car is equal in price to a frame off, every nut and bolt restoration. For most, curb appeal also has as much to do with pricing as anything..........just like a house.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I was driving our Ute home from HD. At a light a civilian in a riased to the sky chevy diesel asks me how much is it worth,,, and I told him 'Nothing', he gave me a look 'Cause it will never be for sale' was my come-back.
    Nothing is worth nothing until it sells, then it has a value.

7. Price it to get what you want
    Or
    Price it fairly and realistically to sell

The people with the money (buyers) make the rules and sets the value in the market. It’s of little consequence what the seller thinks the stuff is worth.

Texas57, Old wolf and 1956 F100 like this.
  8. Same here. Maybe someone should take out an ad to let people know the bottom is falling out of the market.

nochop likes this.
  9. badvolvo

badvolvo

Ask crazy money in one hand, poop in the other, see which one fills up.

41 GMC K-18 and Old wolf like this.
  10. Other thoughts.......and probably fuel for hate.......yes, the bottom may be falling on some markets........cookie cutter one of hundreds...... 32's, tri fives, and just about anything else that is/was super popular and imho too many built.
    The buyers are dwindling it seems, so their going to expect more for their $ simply because that's where the market is headed, but there's still lots of buyers. They are just more particular because they can be.
    There are still buyers who don't really care what the market is. Last year at the Santa Fe July 4 show, I had a guy look at mine quite a long time, asked a few questions, with the final question being "It's not for sale is it?" I said no, but he handed me his card and said "I can afford what I like, and I LOVE your car. If you decide to sell it, call me, and I'm not asking what the price will be. Just call me"
    sheeeeeeet..a few weeks later I was cleaning out my car and accidentally threw his card away, lol.

11. Elsshowerdoor

Elsshowerdoor

Theres a butt for every seat and price for every wallet, but the market for old hot rods sure seems to be soft on the prices to me.

RRanchero Rick and nochop like this.
  12. It’s always up and down in cycles, tops out and market correction. Little bit flooded when a wave of guys get too old and sell or a wave of young guys build em where there were non.

It’s cheaper to buy a finished one than it is to build one. Seems they are worth more apart than together.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another screaming topic. If you have one the high asking prices rock. If you want one they suck. I was told early Ford hot rods are in the tank. Nobody's buying any more. An hour later an unfinished Ardun engine 32 3W hammered at acution for $80K + 10% 'juice'. Then the quarter horse Deuce roadster sold for $180K. I've seen solid 30-31 Model A coupe bodies with asking prices at a low of $3K and a high of $7K. A body, not a whole car. Are we still in $100K 32 3W land? For the right car we are, for a 'glass car loaded with cliche' cruise night shit, no. And I haven't touched on the biggies yet...:eek:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    bowie, pitman, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  14. Reidy

Reidy

Car and bike adds are interesting things. Only yesterday I saw a bike I have wanted for sale at a good price online. I could not get away from work and it has been sold by this afternoon. It was 2 hours drive away. I have been watching some of the same model and a couple are coming up to 12 months on the market. I think they are way overpriced and since they have not sold I must not be they only one.

Therefore if I have one for sale and check online to see what everyone else is listing at I would get an inflated price. The only way I would really know what one sells for is to buy or sell, or have first hand knowledge of a sale. The reason I say first hand knowledge is it is not uncommon, particularly in car clubs to claim a sale for a much higher price has occurred. It helps the buyer if he wants to resell because it gives an impression that his car was worth x even if he sells it cheaper than the assumed price, but for more than he actually paid. It is also great for agreed value insurance.

I guess the easy part for me is I know how much I have to spend, and if I can't get one for that amount of money I will go without or readjust my tastes. The great thing about this is it is my choice. If someone else wants to spend their life savings or borrow big it is their choice.

Steve

X-cpe likes this.
  15. Rich guys are still buying high end cars. As someone who is approaching 40, a deuce is still out of reach and I have no interest. I'd rather retire someday. I could build a Model A for a 1/4 of the price and have just as much fun.

I can only speak for New England in terms of prices, but I've seen cars come way down in price. Driver quality '40 coupes and basic muscle cars like GTOs, Chevelles, etc. are now re-entering earth from the stratosphere. Model As stock/restored can be bought for a song because interest is waning. 70's and 80's pickups and 80's "muscle" cars are ticking up as a wave of nostalgia hits a new generation.

pitman and F&J like this.
  16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

You bring up an interesting question.
    We always see just the asking price and I wonder what would happen if everyone also had to post the selling price of their cars.
    Might really open a lot of eyes to the direction the car market is going in for sure.

I like watching Mecum and the other auctions sites and just based on watching those I am glad I am not a seller right now!
    I know the the old saying of "There is an ass for every toilet seat" sometimes applies to people buying cars along with many others things.
    I understand the principle of starting high and letting someone talk you down to the price you really wanted so that they can go home and save face by telling their friends what a great deal they got.

Just take a peek at the cars for sale on the HAMB and you will see the some of those cars have been for sale for years and years so do you think their prices are to high?

Jimbo

RRanchero Rick and j3harleys like this.
  17. That’s the game I hate...
    I don’t really know how to play well yet
    But I’m learning....

This bullshit of “would you take,,,” or “what’s your bottom dollar?” Man every single sole asks but half of them get butt hurt when you tell them no or I’m at my bottom dollar and I don’t mind keeping it.

Price the part at 300 and they all offer you 200.
    Ya Get pissed of and change the price to 425 then those who offered whisper and point when they see ,,,, the first new guy who’s interested will offer 300 .... sold
    those first offering people see him carrying the part and ask him what did you give for that? He says the guy was asking 425 but I got it for two. It’s a circus.

Texas57 and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  18. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

I'm looking for a good low mileage, one owner Ford Model T. Good tires are a must. Prefer battery start, but easy starting hand crank will be considered. Please no Model A's, I'm not interested in all that new fangled stuff that will just break or wear out.

41 GMC K-18 and williebill like this.
  19. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took 2 years to sell my Clipper. Was my price too high? No, I just had to be patient and remain on point. I had no intention of just giving it away and helping drive the value down. I have a 47 Cadillac conv for sale too. Here's no-rust-ever example of a VERY desireable Cadillac. I has an interior and top that would cost upwards of $20K to replace at today's prices (the leather alone is nearly $20 a sqft). Runs like a "wartime" car should. Actually got decent fuel mileage on a recent drive of nearly 300 miles. I checked auction sales, other cars offered that were close to the same condition, left a little meat on the bone from that average. And then there's the mopes who'll tell you "...and nobody wants that shit any more..." but then make an insulting offer like they're doing you a favor.

Please understand that this is nothing new. Some names have changed and a few poisoned sellers are trying for a kill. Will I drop the Caddy price? Nope. I watched a lesser car bring $20K more than my price almost a year ago, and was also told it needed some serious work before it was tour ready. Another thing, when you own one with an automatic you'll get "...but the stick shift is so much better..." and now that I have 1 available that was delivered new (in CA) with a stick I'm getting "...but it's really better to have an automatic...". See? Nothing new. YOU are selling and it's not worth it, YOU are buying and all those "..it's only worth..." types seem to be on a mission of sodomy.

So what's the answer? Be fair, be firm, be informed by every possible indicator. Fire sales are usually not advertised at all except by the "fireman" who bought it and has tacked on an obscene profit margin. As said above, nothing new and we should just know that this facet of 'our life' is really nothing more than unexpected coffee grounds in the bottom of the cup. No big deal if it was a good cup of coffee to start with, right?

Another fun topic...

21. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

ive noticed a lot of the high dollar rides usually end up being shipped overseas

22. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My standard response is "What's your top dollar?"

23. A hot rod built at home and within some sort of budget is not as expensive as a pro shop build. HRP

24. Absolutely true,,,
    Build what you want,,,
    Problem is lots of people really don’t know how to build a car but do it anyways.

25. you have to know what your looking at. ads may sound the same.....but the cars are different.
    for sale: red 60 corvette, ran when parked, one owner, low mileage, clean title, southern car, only used on nice days. Unknown.jpeg images.jpeg

26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Had a guy at Paso ask me if my car was for sale, I responded “ you don’t have enough money “. He responded with “Oh yes I Do”. I explained that the car was my fathers and that I got it “ The Hard Way”. Some cars are “priceless”

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the young guys won't have to worry about the prices of old cars when they become old farts because they will have been banned by then.

Old wolf likes this.
  28. Reidy

Reidy

I see a few comments that say play the game, start high and sell for less. Where I run into trouble is I am a person who is naturally no-confrontational. If we were all playing by the rules this would not be a problem. I have encountered a few times when I made an offer on what I considered a fair price and would happily understand if they said no. The thing is they took at as a personal insult and proceeded to throw abuse and tell me to not waste their time and come back with a sensible offer. I have since found out is that is just some people playing the game. Apparently it is possible to intimidate some people to pay more than they wanted. I have got to the point where if the price is to far away from what I am happy to pay I won't even engage the seller. I know from experience I have missed out as the car sold for less than what I would have offered.

Steve

29. next time ask them what their absolute best price would be AND that you will answer with a simple yes I'll take it or no thanks.

j3harleys and mountainman2 like this.
  30. Im at the point where it don't really matter if I sell something . also it don't matter if I buy or not. I set the price that I am willing to take or willing to pay. What others think or do doesnt effect me.