Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a source for accurate tire pressure gauge, thanks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Just joking! These are just a couple of vintage ones that I've collected over the years. Likely greater quality than what I might find now.......:( 20190710_131108.jpg

2. ...............Just ordered one of these from Summit, Danny. Thanks for the suggestion. If I track down a Snap-On guy I might get one of those Blue Point ones as well. After all, money is no good until you spend it.:eek::D

3. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I just bought a new gauge brand name Rhino. Made in USA and looks similar to the Moroso. Release button, swivels at the gauge and at the tip. About $35 on evilbay. I like it so far.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, Wolf, you know that opinions are like assholes, do you not? I know how to spell "gauge", too.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I use my Harbor Freight pressure guage

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm at the track one day and can't find my gauge. Looked all over for nearly 10 min and class call was coming up. Can't find my bro that was 'helping' me either. I go for a walk around the pits and finally see him with 3 other tire pressure gauges in his hand checking tires on several different cars. "Dude, WTF are you doin? They're gonna call our class and I need to set the tires!" "I know, but we need to know EXACTLY what the pressure is so I'm trying to make sure our gauge is right because..." "STOP. I don't give a shit if the real pressure is 12.76234! I give less a shit about thiose other gauges in your hand, so gimme the fuckin gauge!" I get it from him and off I go, he returns all the borrowed gauges and shows up as I'm gettin ready to head up. "Man, you don't get it. You need to know what's in that tire! How can you expect to be right?" "My car with MY gauge likes 11 after the burnout. It gains a pound when the tire is hot, ON MY GAUGE. So no my friend YOU don't get it." "Yeah but..." "Please, stop, enough..." and they call my class and off I go. He didn't want to check the tires after the burnout because he wouldn't know what the "real" pressure is. It took 3 of my other racing pals to talk him down and try to get him to understand consistancy. It's not the time/space continuem, it's air in a fuckin drag slick that gives us the best 60' foot time as measured, with what we have to measure with.

I only shared this because the reading you get at home or in the shop that gives the best ride and the best wear and no wollowing around on tar strips, well that's all you want. I have 1 gauge that shows me 35 and another that shows me 33 on the same tire. 1 in one shop, one in the other. We really don't need the late Steven Hawking to get our tires right, do we? Or do we. Just sayin...

7. Great information, everyone. Appreciate all of the advice.:)

lothianwilly71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. In cold weather I inflate tires too the maxium printed in the sidewall. I very hot weather I inflate to something below that like 30 PSI on a tire that says 35 or 70 PSI on a tire that says 80. I don't think I need a 100% accurate guage. Insisting on some hair splitting accuracy borders on being Compulsive Obsessive

Truck64 likes this.
  9. ..............Maybe I'm being Obsessive-Compulsive, but if my motorcycle is supposed to have 28lbs. in the front tire, I don't want to be carving corners with only 19, thus an accurate GAUGE seems appropriate to me.

10. Years ago, I went through this. I had purchased a digital gauge right after they became available because they compensate for barometric pressure. Everything electronic has a life span or a failure rate. One day at the strip, it fails. I have no backup and the tires need to be 4.5 lbs. period. After that I researched to see what everybody else was using. I found many poor stories. I bought several Accugauges and always carried a spare. 20 years ago you could send them in and they would calibrate them for free. I'm still using the 3 gauges I bought about 1989. 2 low pressure ones and a 80lb. one. Here's the link: https://www.ghmeiser.com

Atwater Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Thanks for that link, wfo guy.

lothianwilly71 and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

If your really interested in quality, get an aviation tire presure gauge. Not that much more then most Chinese junk gauges.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Milton 986 which I have used for all my vehicles for years. Even after trips to the dealer for service on my wife's new daily driver, I check the tires again with the Milton and have found differences between the dealer's readings and mine. I correct the tire pressures using my gauge and have never lost a tire due to under or over inflation. At the time of purchase, 10 years ago, I thought $21 was probably paying too much but now they are only $26. And, as someone has already pointed out, they are made in the USA.

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're definitely not OCD when it comes to this. Plus or minus a half pound of air in a car's tire on a race track can make all the difference in whether you win or lose. Just speaking from experience, you understand.

16. Read highlanders post above.

17. when I drove I stopped and did a walk around every two hours or about a 100 miles. I never hit the tires with anything. I felt the sidewall. a tire going down will be noticeably hotter than the rest. I carried a air hose and tire plugs. Now lots of trucks and trailers have a air system that maintains tire pressure. On U Tube even the Goodson all Terrain swamp loggers have them on their trucks.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just for the record, I didn't share that story to be a dick about the topic, and the O/P is a good guy in my book. Still, bike, racer, truck, trailer tires, you play around or monitor shit on long trips, seat-of-the pants testing (that's real BTW), and some good old-fashioned bench racing. Packard recommended 34 in the front and 36 in the rear as listed in their "service letters" publications. However, raising a 7.00 or 7.50-17 modern construction tire to those pressures has the car chasing tar strips. I run 32 in the front (heavy ass engines) and 30 in the rear. I set them cooled down in the shop and surely they increase a bit with use, which is of course heat. Bikes? Fuckin eh, you want em up there where they belong and low tires on the front can be felt on the very 1st turn. It wants to 'help you' turn or more accurately push the bars in the turn direction. 1st ride of the year in my bike days I'd sometimes overlook checking the pressures and had to turn around back to the garage and fill em up. Even bicycles will do that. So I guess there's some importance to tire pressures but beyond things like the ISO standards as shared above it's still not something we need to be sure to meet some official US standard about. The standard is mainly in the butt cheeks of the operator. Oh yeah, I tend to run on the low side in the snow season so there's a bit more contact patch between the snow and the aforementioned butt cheeks. Works for me.

This is fun topic...;)

Old wolf and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. 4woody

4woody

Meiser are still made in the USA. I sold them for years in the bike shop and had only good experiences. Prices are reasonable, and many styles to choose from too.
    https://www.ghmeiser.com/dial-gauges.htm
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Truck64 like this.
  20. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts, opinions and real-life experiences in this regard. It's always fun to read all of the responses about any given topic. Guess that's why I've hung around here for as long as I have. It's always a lively, enlightening and educational place to be. Thanks to all who have responded.....Don.

21. Just got this yesterday from Summit. Thanks again, Danny, for the heads-up on this particular piece. I adjusted the psi on 5 vehicles and one motorcycle yesterday. Seems to be very accurate so far (at least more so than the "trusted" one I had been using.) Still might pick up a Blue Point PG60 if I catch up with a Snap-On truck just to compare for accuracy. Thanks again everyone...........Don. 20190714_065819.jpg

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  22. Just for the record, the glow in the dark feature doesn't really work too well. No big deal, maybe if I place it under a light source for a while it might improve in that regard. Guess it was pretty dark in that shipping box!:D...And the button isn't for releasing after you remove the gauge from the valve stem. It's for releasing air while on the valve to adjust the pressure if it's too high. Again no big deal, I really was just looking for accuracy more than anything else. Price was fair, $20.53 + shipping and tax :mad:...total...$30.24.

lothianwilly71 and Atwater Mike like this.
  23. ...........Jim, I was unable to find anywhere an indication as to where it was made, leading me to assume that it wasn't made in the U.S.A. If it were, I would think they would claim that.:)

24. finn

finn

Blue Point with the large dial gage and hose were going for $15, new in box at Iola. These had a gage that reads high enough for truck tires, though, so they aren’t useful for low pressure slicks, etc.

Bought one but it’s still in the truck along with the rest of the swag from the swap meet.

25. Fordors

Fordors

For a dial type gauge I like the Meiser brand that was mentioned, the gauge is bourdon type, ANSI certified, comes with a one year warranty and can be found for $20 plus shipping. There are a lot of gauges that resemble the Meiser but look closely and you will see differences in the details. Buyer beware.
    Another reasonably priced (under $10) gauge is the stem style Milton S921. Solid brass, machined body, made in the USA and nice and compact. I have a few Miltons and checked them against the tire inflation sensors on my DD ‘13 Tahoe. Every one is within one PSI, close enough for me, but naturally not for setting slicks at 4.5 PSI at the track.
    $50 + for a tire gauge? No thanks.

lothiandon1940 and Old wolf like this.
  26. jazz1

jazz1

Attached Files:

27. Most gauges are calibrated to be correct in the middle of their range, so really none of them is accurate, but you can get all your tires to be the same.

28. Canuck

Canuck

Watch out with Meiser, they have two lines of gauges. One is the old original "Made in USA" version, the other doesn't say where they are made. Still seem to work good just don't look as good "A" series, Internal Geared Movement: Switzerland, Brass Socket: Poland, Hose and Chuck Assembly: USA, Rubber Boot: Taiwan and the "M" series made in USA. Seems like the only one available in Canada is the "A" series. Brass trimmed is new "M" series, Blue one is old "A" series, probably early 70's.
    upload_2019-7-15_12-19-58.png

When the blue gauge got dropped and before I received the replacment, needed a gauge and dug this one out of the old and obsolete box, received as a freeby for subscribing to "Hot Rod' back in the late 50's or early 60's. Still works great and just as accurate as the "AccuGage" units.
    upload_2019-7-15_12-24-25.png

PS; took the blue one apart and found spring leaves had got mixed up in the drop and the adjuster link bent a bit. Played with it and got it reading the same as the new one (and the older Automark one), so it is back in service.
    Canuck

29. rudestude

rudestude

This old Schrader worked pretty good on my 1927 Buick , I actually found the gauge under the front seat of it , it's range is 10-42 lbs.
    I sold the car last year but kept the gauge.
    Amazingly it's pretty accurate as long as you keep it clean and lubricated....aaahhh... tire gau...ya the tire gauge. 20190715_135116.jpeg 20190715_135328.jpeg 20190715_135645.jpeg 20190715_135825.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, Truck64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. ^^^^Cool piece^^^