Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mild Kustom 53 Chevy build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Feb 14, 2019.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Some life changes have pushed me to finally build a car that's alot of what I want wrapped into one. So I love hotrods, love kustoms, and alot of the in between. So when my model A coupe was up for sale, friend said he was wanting to unload his project since he doesn't have time anymore. So the coupe sold... I threw down a affordable price on this 53 BelAir. floors are 98% solid, someone put hydraulics on the front suspension. Rear has a ok done C notch. some of this work will be going away. I was hoping that the car had all the pieces, but some of the stuff is missing but that's what swap meets are for. So since the front suspension is already kinda toasted, I am probably buying a M2 kit from Jamco, along with some 4" rear drop springs. I just got a 350 from another buddy from his pickup for a few bucks. So with all that said, he is my goal. Comfortable for my back issues, dependable, low, family car, and Cool. Frenched lights are a must. Few things shaved probably, full laced and paneled roof, maybe some scallops too. I want a car that can go coast to coast and I believe this is it. So here I present the shell that will be named "The Burbon Street Brawler" My buddy saved it from a lowrider shop, then she sat idle in a field for 2 years till i got it. Blank canvas cars are always fun.... IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0326.JPG

1953naegle, slim38 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So the work has started, cleaning it out, been wire brushing floors with the kiddo, had a little bit of POR15 left and used it up, more to come this weekend. Here is the heart of the new beast..... got some wheel dolly's to make life easier in the 2 car garage for the build..... Man I wish I bought these about 4 projects ago...

IMG_0399.jpg IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0402.jpg

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Resist the temptation of using the V8 wire wheels...:confused:

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I am down here in the houston area..... Big spokes on every corner... Don't worry hopefully they sell this weekend at the swap meet and I can buy some 24's for it.....

Sorry couldn't resist at least making someone here slap their palm to their forehead....

DO NOT WORRY she is getting 15" steel wheels, maybe sombrero caps or flippers, or maybe spider caps.....

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

After a ton of thinking, planning etc, I am almost thinking of slapping some new springs in the front end, fix the shock tower hole and some disc brakes on there instead of the m2 route... I know to get these cars low a m2 is better, but I just dont know if I need to go that far since the orig. is pretty decent in some ways other than that crap steering system. I have a friend selling his car, bagged in back 54 with a half done chop. almost thought about swapping chassis, but honestly have been leaning to not bagging the back of this car, for what I want I think a good drop on the rear will fit my needs, little taildragger rake...

So on the m2 idea vs the stock stuff, I have read so many threads here about it, some hate em, some love em and then people get far out there off topic. So if anyone can give me a few good points where the M2 kit outperforms the stock stuff other than rack and pinion upgrade I would love to hear them.

7. Stock front end works well
    You can also swap in a jaguar series 2 or 3front subframe
    It’s a bolt in like the original

On the original only upgrade I would do is the vette Center link as it uses a bearing instead of a bushing

And there is a Center link support you can add. It’s a cup that’s bolted up with the Center link just to support it and the rest of the steering and helps to remove some of the slop and give.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  8. hotdamn

hotdamn

I once worked for one of the big MII manufacturers, I had one under my 54 an I have to say i wasnt terribly impressed. The manual flaming river rack drove fine but the A arms, ball joints and spindles were made in china and gave me headache after headache. everything from the cross shaft constantly coming unbolted ( to the point where I had to drill and pin it) to bearing races getting seized to the spindle. also if you keep the pedals under the floor theres a hand ful of headaches that can arise there especially if you're keeping it a manual. For my money if your front end is not completely wore slap out and is still serviceable I personally would go that route. Other wise source out a manufacturer that makes everything in house so there is better quality control.

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

After a ton or research, for where Im going with things, planning to just roll the stock stuff with some modification....

So with that said, went and got my other set of doors, bad part is one is caved with a big dent, other is good, problem is they are just 210 trimmed doors, the bel air extra chrome around window opening seems to be a little rough to get apart and move over. But will figure that crap out later... May just throw the orig doors back on for now just to get her rolling, then throw some patch panels in the bottoms.

Update is I got tired of looking at chalk primer and flakes, so started sanding through the layers, primed it correctly, and threw a coat of satin on her... I think this with a silver roof should pop good... at least good enough till i can body work and do the car to its full potential...
    IMG_0420.jpg

10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I appreciate the input on the suspension stuff guys... thanks.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So here we are with some updates... ditched the hydraulic stuff. Put the new jamco front springs in, god those things are strong.... Still waiting on doing the rear etc. But I can say that the Walton Fab motor mounts are a beautiful thing.

The start
    53-2.jpg

removed

53-3.jpg

solution grade 8 washers

53-4.jpg

Welded

53-5.jpg

motor in 53-6.jpg 53-7.jpg

12. Ceegan

Ceegan

13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thanks brother. Just Not making the progress I wanted after taking a job 40 miles from home, but will start making some soon man.

Ceegan likes this.
  14. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Great build good luck with it

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Love those Chevy's. I like the retro valve covers .

Just Gary and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My Dad has done two '53's and one '54 and used the S10 front and made the rest of the frame with tubing . Gives you cheap updated suspension, disc brakes power steering and parts availability is on point.

17. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good, I like what you've done so far.

18. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Good to see another 53-54 in the area! Nice color too!

20. I cut the coils [1.5 loops] on my 50 delivery. I don't remember it ever bottoming out. On my car, I tried several exhaust manifolds as correct headers were too expensive for me. I ended up using 72 Pickup twisted ramshorns, Had to grind a bit on the manifolds and also on the pitman arm. Even so, they touched on a sharp left turn.
    I was able to keep my original trans crossmember but I had to redrill for the mount...4 speed transmission. Sounds like you already have that done.
    Rockysdeliveryb_4paint.jpg

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well. Update... Progress has been slow to say the least... BUT we have hopped over a hurdle for sure. I picked up a 700r4 Saturday with 44k miles for 500 bucks. So not too bad for a runner.

I decided to dig in and do the disc brake conversion... Only issue I have found with the jamco disc brake conversion is the tie rod nut is rough to get the caliper bolt in and out on the bottom caliper bolt... I ground the castle nut down a bit on one side and fits fine now... Still has the cotter pin in it too.. The other spot it touches is the adapter bolt hits the caliper but it requires a small trim on the caliper nothing more than 1/16 off an ear of the caliper. If you used a 1/2" shorter bolt in the adapter plate on top bolt it will fit without a trim.

Funny of the weekend...Put the adapter plates on, bearing adapters etc, get the grease gun down to pack bearings. Finished packing when on the last one I ran out of grease.... I figured out a valuable lesson... DONT loan your grease gun out cause it never comes back reloaded... Will get a pic of it all together and the trimming I did if anyone else gets one of these jamco disc conversions...

56-9.jpg

pbr40 likes this.
  22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Ok here is the finished pictures... The shot straight down shows the ear taken off the caliper... very simple and easy but just a minor fitment issue I am sure someone else would let it slide, but caliper slides out as the pads wear, and that would cause a hang up for sure.

IMG_0634.JPG

I know its not the most traditional, trust me I wanted to keep the drums but the issue is where I drive and live, its just not wise to do it. Plus its a way superior wheel bearing and seal, that I can get at a parts house on the road if anything goes wrong.... And that's the main goal.

So here is the pic with it all together...
    IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0635.JPG

23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Its been a while since I have worked on it, or updated this... So here we go.

I found a 700r4 trans out of a 80s pickup, runner driver and went and got it... cleaned it up, painted it and did a few other things...

got the Walton fab crossmember in, the old one was a complete pain to pull out, but death wheel helped out with 4 bolts...

Decided to put the motor and trans together and drop em in... So here is the win of the weekend... Just trying to get done what I can in my spare time.... and the spare time isn't much right now...

Hope everyone had a great 4th....

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG IMG_0675.JPG

24. hbpaint

hbpaint

25. Great project. Slow progress is better than no progress.

26. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

you had me at 53 Chevy, subscribed

27. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I got larger casters from Northern Tools for my wheel dollies, makes it a lot easier to move around. also have 53 and 54 complete grilles if you need one..

28. Love them pre '55 Chevy's, had a '54 Belair 2 dr post back in the day. Wouldn't mind having another one.

Subscribed...

I had to do that life change shit last year. 6', 250 lbs. and being 70 years old it just got to damn hard to get in and out of my '29. Not to mention, it was just too uncomfortable!
    I picked up a '51 Olds with 76,000 miles showing and the plans are to build something that I can drive anywhere. Now that I have most of the mechanical problems taken care of, perhaps I can start addressing the cosmetic's.

29. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So Little update folks... I have been trying to do 1 thing a weekend... Just due to my schedule right now, and physical stuff also... So... With that said... Update pics not really a MAJOR picture but its showing off something that took a bit to do...

4" drop Jamco springs in the rear, pulled the bi-leafs out, it did look great that low but had no spring rate and the v8 would have wrapped those springs up and thrown a driveshaft... But here is a pic of the rear end finally centered in the wheel well and new bushings, etc installed... Just need to weld some tabs on the u bolt plate to install the lower shock mount or install some on the axle... don't know yet.. But this is the new ride height of the rear for now.. Its subject to change later when its on the road...

IMG_0716.JPG

So bought some wheels... wheel vintiuqes 15x5 to get ready for the new tires to buy in a few weeks... Just going with some 205/70r15 Hankook ribion whites for now.. Now before someone throws a book at me... I need a tire I can get locally at discount tires easily for road trips... This is a somewhat normal stock around here, easily found, and can get road hazards on them also... Cooker is expensive for what it is... I have not been pleased with the last 3 sets I have ordered... Excessive runout, roadforce issues, tread wobble... So going a different way for the time being... Car should look good and drive good I think with this choice for now..

SO... The trunk pile is slowly starting to diminish... little bit at a time...

IMG_0450.JPG

Another part of the update...

Changed out the vent window regulator on the passenger side... it was shot, had a spare set of doors so decided to use that... Still need to fix one of the rear regulators but now most of the glass works fine... Also since were here... Found the dash chrome and installed it... Such a beautiful dash... Nice to have it back to looking like someone loves it... IMG_0452.JPG

So that about sums up my update... Some of it is boring stuff I know... But I know someone out there may be glad to see this stuff... I think next update should have wheels and tires changed and some more progress on the driveline... Still need to do some work on the rear brakes and run a few new brake lines also. Big win is we have almost fixed all the botched lowrider stuff as of now..

little red 50 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  30. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I hear you... 51 Olds is a nice one for sure... My buddy was selling a almost finished 54 that needed chop finished for 2500 bucks... I should have picked it up honestly but had just gotten this one a month before. 54's are beautiful for sure... Having a good road car is a thing of beauty even if its not the best looking gal at the ball, she is dependable and loyal... haha.. Better to make life changes than be in the dirt nap...

scotty t likes this.