Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pennies as soft jaws

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1ton, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 1ton

1ton

That's right. Pennies. I've used them as soft jaws, as a machinist, for years. In the lathe, 3 jaw or four jaw, does not matter. Got to grab a stud by the threads? Slip a couple pennies between the jaws of your visegrip and go for it. Shops often require their guys to cut bits of brass or aluminum to be used as soft jaws on stuff. Screw that, reach in your pocket and grab a couple cents worth and get the job done. Just don't tell the guberment

bedwards, tommyd, patmanta and 7 others like this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yes, consult local laws before defacing coin of the realm.

It's a moot point up here, as we got rid of all of our cents a few years ago.

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I keep a couple of pieces of aluminum angle close by to use on my bench vise.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.

4. 1ton

1ton

A couple pennies work good in the vise too.

Deuces and juan motime like this.
  5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

"Be sure that your umbrealla
    Is upside down twiddily bop
    A ha ba hozzie white
    Eagle eye la homba lee
    Zombalomba zompolot
    Old wodilly boy oh
    Ahhh bobba hoy boy
    Ohhhh boy a hoy boy
    Toddaly whoa, OOOOH!
    I knew I'd get ya
    I knew I'd get ya
    Let's go, let's go
    And you'll find your fortune falling all over town
    In pennies from heaven"

6. Deuces

Deuces

Huh???....:confused:

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Montana1 likes this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's not illegal to deface coins. Otherwise those county fair penny stamper deals would be unlawful. And, I'd still be serving hard time at the Florence, Colo. Supermax for those nickels I put on the railroad tracks as a kid.

9. I like to lay a penny on top of a nickle on the railroad track,..gets you 6 cents,..it'll meld them together as one piece...and about 1 & 1/2 times as big, but thin...

Deuces, belair and Truck64 like this.
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thickness of the copper coating on pennies minted since 1982 is approximately .012", or 2.5% of the total weight of the penny. The remaining 97.5% core is zinc so they're really not as suitable as the older pennies are as a soft jaw.

Truck64 likes this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

They ain't too good for spendin' neither

Deuces likes this.
  12. Scrap copper pipe.

13. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Louie Prima

ClayMart and Deuces like this.
  14. Man did leave the door open with that statement!

So you are saying that Canadian's don't have any sense now? just joking :D HRP

49ratfink, Truck64, TagMan and 2 others like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

You ever drop a copper penny on dry ice?????... :confused:..........:eek::eek:

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  16. And that's exactly what it is a April fools Day hoax.

I have been a coin collector since I was 8 years old and it started with Buffalo Nickles, I saved every one I found, even if it didn't have a legible date.

Since about 1982 pennies have been copper-clad zinc, netting about 2.5% copper in the coin.

HRP

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  17. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

In a pinch, I used pennies as flat washers on a shelter wall at a remote tower site. Still there as far as I know. I look at them Everytime I'm there.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brings 'em to life, doesn't it.

Deuces likes this.
  19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Are you talking about English coins? The United States Mint does not now, or ever made a "penny". In America we mint and use "cents". Nowhere in any coin collecting book will you see an American coin listed as a "penny". I was on a tour of the Philadelphia Mint a few years ago and any time someone on the tour mentioned "penny", he went into this English language routine and started talking about the Queen.

Montana1 and Deuces like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-7-11_7-48-58.png
    Hello,
    In our build hey days, we did use a huge, bolted down vise for a wide assortment of projects. We never had the pleasure of unmarked rods, strips of metal or plastic. Until, we decided to use our stash of left over aluminum from the Douglas Aircraft Surplus Yard (no longer around as the whole complex is a food court and shopping center)

We cut up some aluminum strips and bent them to fit inside of the raggedy teeth of the vise. Now, anytime we wanted to do fine filing, sanding or shaping, there were no teeth marks to get on the projects. We found out that our prior tries with scraps of wood, old t-shirts and Pendleton material worked at first, but did not last.

Jnaki

As far as using a penny or any other thing with a pattern, it works like a punch press and the shape/design gets shoved into the material being altered. (clamp a piece of clay inside and see what the pattern looks like after clamping using any item that has a pattern.) So, we stuck to the folded aluminum sheets for the smooth surface to surface contact.

These days, before we gave away our bench top vise, I made a similar pair of “L” bend inserts, but found out that even the aluminum leaves the surface somewhat marred. So, I wrapped up the bottom part of the “L” with this new flexible tape. The tape fuses together and will not come off of whatever the application. It makes a pretty good soft, but, holding barrier between anything.

The small jewelry pieces did not get marred, the polished antique brackets stayed smooth, even a very small “L” bracket modified to fit into a small place, stayed smooth and shiny without marks.

upload_2019-7-11_7-49-42.png
    Our remnants and partial left overs from other car/household projects. It stretches and seals onto itself, so even a small piece is still usable for something.

Since the original fusion tape came on the market…Rescue Tape, there have been many copies blasting the advertising scene. But, your choice may vary. The original still is the best. Don’t be fooled by the lower cost of other brands. You get what you pay for in this instance.
    upload_2019-7-11_7-51-59.png
    If we go on a long road trip, there are always several rolls of clear and black Rescue Tape traveling with us. It seals up water hoses and makes an air tight seal if it is fused onto itself and not used like ordinary tape. If wrapped correctly, it fuses onto itself on any item or shape.
    upload_2019-7-11_7-51-36.png

21. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i take 1018 steel bar and make a set of jaws then bore them so they run true, number them so i can switch between the soft and hard jaws. i have used copper and aluminum as cushions but hate trying to hold everything in place while chucking.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

with the above spoof mentioned about pennies, and coins going away - article says the that we are heading to be a cashless society - by the looks of my bank account I am already there

23. I've been running with scissors for quite awhile now...defacing pennies doesn't incite fear in me.

seb fontana, Tman, Oldioron and 2 others like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!... Screaming up a storm..:D

Jalopy Joker and Montana1 like this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"So you are saying that Canadian's don't have any sense now?"

Yep, we're a cents-less society since 2012.

But back to practicality, I have also used the older genuine copper cents to make copper sealing washers, with the help of the old Rotex punch. Try buying a copper washer for a cent!

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Who is "we" Kemosabe? ;) bet you have numismatic tendencies. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

It's an expression, nobody calls them "cents". Some people insist on using "Bison" instead of "Buffalo" too. While they might be technically correct ...

27. I need to save my pennies and my dimes, so i can go buy myself a new 409

Deuces likes this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I guess this is everyone's two cents worth.

Truck64 and Deuces like this.