Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Jul 10, 2019.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I watched this Studebaker Golden Hawk sell the other day and it made me think back to when I could have bought one of those for not that much money. I had a chance to buy a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk when my 30 year old son was a baby. I ran across that deal when I was delivering something in a truck, I don't remember what but I remember the car. It had a 289 engine and a 4-speed transmission. The Studebaker was in running condition but it had rust on it but what do you expect in central Iowa? They only were asking $100 for the Golden Hawk at the time but with a baby to support that $100 seemed like just too much to part with at the time. :'( It was a cool car but the 1977 Buick LeSabre that was my daily driver at the time made more sense to a family man.

Anyhow, I videoed this one as it sold so you can watch it also but hopefully without all the heat and humidity. :)

low budget and egads like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Probably not a bad deal........?
    I still think things our worth what I could have bought them for back in the day.

crashfarmer likes this.
  3. egads

egads

Just the fender's are worth decent money.

Bearcat_V8 and crashfarmer like this.
  4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

What did the Vette fetch?

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Back in the 60s, I put together a '53 Stude coupe with SBC and later I found a '56 Golden Hawk that sat where I could see it crammed in behind a repair shop that I passed every day on the way to work. It sat there for months till one day I stopped and asked about it.
    Turned out the car had a bad "Ultramatic" Packard automatic transmission, and the car's owner had just gone off and left it there when he found out the repair cost would exceed the car's value, at least to him.
    I bought the car for the storage bill,IIRC $57.00! It had a pretty rough body, but all the driveline and suspension parts would fit under my '53. But what I wanted most was that beautiful engine turned finished dash loaded with Stewart Warner instruments that came in the Hawks! Took it out and it fit perfectly in the '53, and every screwhole was in the identical place! Took off all the other stuff I thought could ever use and sold the rest for scrap.

crashfarmer, Hnstray and low budget like this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ole boy towards the end must of had allergies acting up:D:D:D:D

crashfarmer likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, we all passed up deals at one time or another because cash needed for other important stuff

crashfarmer and dirty old man like this.
  8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

It was in the $40,000 range. I'll remember exactly what it brought when I edit the video I took in the next day or 2. I've done a lot of things in the past few days and I'm just a geezer that is beginning to doubt his short term memory. :)

lumpy 63 and dirty old man like this.
  9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

How about the Ford?

10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

The 33 Ford 5 window coupe brought $14,000. That I can remember from editing the video. I was hazy on that before I went to all the work to edit that video. I got to thinking it brought about the same money as the Vette and I told somebody that. The good thing is I don't remember who I told that story to? :D When I was young I never forgot anything but now things tend to get a little hazy.

11. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

That's what I was thinking. The fenders alone could fetch $8-1200 each.

crashfarmer likes this.