Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 46 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ZD46Ford coupe, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Good morning. Just picked up a 46 ford coupe to work on with my son. It's the very first project for us both. Any advise?

oliver westlund likes this.
  2. topher5150

topher5150

What are your plans? What condition is it in? Any pics?

3. sdroadster

sdroadster

Keep it simple. Kids lose interest fast...

Cosmo50 likes this.
  4. Agreed!

Photo's would be helpful in offering advice, since this is your first post you do understand that this is a traditional site, so independent front & rear suspensions won't fly here,as well as S-10 from swaps or sub frames, huge wheels are taboo also.

Keep the car simple and you and your son will enjoy the build, got a question just ask everyone here is willin to help. HRP

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. ADVICE? Go online and get a Ford shop manual for the model. For anything about the chassis, running gear, engine, body a manual cannot be beat. That is the very first thing I purchase for any of my rides.
    Thourally check under and inside vehicle and find ALL rust as too much could be a game changer. This will let you know what you are getting into and whether it is worth continuing. Then Get the engine to run and go thru the brakes and electrical FIRST. This way you will be able to drive as you go on the rest of the work. Also make a parts list of everything you find that is needed and after getting it running you can get parts needed to work on one section at a time. That gets a little order in how you procede.
    Jimmie

Lost in the Fifties and Cosmo50 like this.
  6. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

I may have posted in the wrong title but thanks for the replies. We are actually hoping to build more of a hotrod without changing too many characteristics of the car

50 customcoupe likes this.
  7. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

But no 20 inch rims or anything! Lol. Traditional hotrod. Am I in the right place?

8. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Car has minimal rust. Has all original drivetrain

9. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Still debating wether to try and lift the body up to clean and paint the chassis

10. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

11. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Will post more pics when I can

12. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Hoping to get the engine going. But if not would I need to change suspension and trans to put a 302 in it?

13. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Best place for parts that are unreasonably priced but good quality?

14. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Reasonably priced

micamountain likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

It looks rather complete and still put together. I'd try to get it running, rebuild the brakes, and take it for a spin. You might love it like it is. Then you could do small jobs, one at a time, so you won't have it off the road for long. they are much more fun when you can take them for a drive to see f you actually made "improvements".

16. alchemy

alchemy

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/ These guys have good parts.

They don't sell the cheapo junk that places like Mac's Auto in New York sells. You might pay a bit more to start with, but you won't be buying another when the first doesn't fit or work.

17. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

It really is all there. The only rust is the running board box. Do i need to lift the body to repair correctly?

18. Pulling the body makes it much easier to get to any problem areas plus it aides in being able to check the frame for any unforeseen cracks or damage. HRP

Does the car still have the flathead? HRP

19. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Vanpelt. Thanks. How about Drakes?

20. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Yes sir. Has the 239. All in tact. Wired and all

21. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

Nothing missing at all under the hood

22. topher5150

topher5150

You're already light years ahead of me and you just started.

23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

You're definitely in the right place is a traditional hotrod is your goal. Knowledge is endless here.

Pic of my pal's old coupe ('48) for a little inspiration. He was headed for early/mid custom territory before he sold it to put funds together for a '36.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Pinstriper40, BigO, IRION29 and 6 others like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great car to start with - a lot depends on the end goal - yes, stripping off everything including the body and redoing everything will help with the quality of the ride - but, does not need to be done to do the rust repair mentioned, or to swap out the drive train - 302/trans/rearend - if you go the "updated" Hot Rod route consider front disc brake conversion, later steering box, parallel rear leaf spring conversion, etc. looks like you have a good size shop and some tools - a lot depends on your skills and budget - it will take a bit longer than the 1 hour builds on TV shows

25. ZD46Ford coupe

ZD46Ford coupe

That is actually the garage it was in. Now in a 1.5 car garage. But I do have alot of tools. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you huys posted

26. flatford39

flatford39

That's a great project. Where is it located??? You are miles ahead of a lot of guys here. I would try to get it running and driving before I lifted the body etc. You may find you don't like the car and it's a lot easier to sell one that runs than one that is in pieces in your garage.

50 customcoupe and Cosmo50 like this.
  27. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I am with flatford39. Get it running first. Nothing worse than having a car that you have never enjoyed all torn apart. You might never get it put back together and lose interest in it and end up selling it.

48fordnut and 50 customcoupe like this.
  28. The last 2 posts are right on.
    It's too close to drive-able to blow it apart
    and then have a project you don't even know you like!
    There is nothing better than a project you can drive
    and play with at the same time!

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Agreed. Want to keep your sons interest??
    Don’t blow it apart.
    We can help you with engine and driveline questions. Let’s get her running first.

30. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need go back into your profile and finish filling it out with your location. It is good for folks to have a genral idea of where you are located and it can help with the sourcing of parts or help as you guys work on your car.

Cool coupe by the way. I have an early '47 long door coupe (it looks like a '46) and I really enjoy it. Good luck with it and have fun working on it with your son. If you need parts I may have stuff you are looking for or may be able to point you in a direction.

Thor