Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you do this as kid?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by oldiron 440, Jul 7, 2019.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I was reminded of this today and how much fun it was. We would come up behind a car in a second lane in second gear with the ignition off with the clutch engaged, then when we got next to the car we would turn the ignition back on, we were rewarded with a very loud bang and at night there would be a large fire ball under the car. This worked very well with headers and glass packs but not with Thrush glass packs, it would blow there covers off.
    Sure hope we didn't cause a heart attack back in the day.:)

2. rudestude

rudestude

I did that trick one night probably 30 years ago.
    I was in town in my old 55 Chevy 4dr. , it was kind of a beater I had bought for some parts for my hardtop, anyways I stopped at a friends house and picked up him and another friend and started driving around in town then we started doing the back fire trick , after pretty much blowing the muffler all apart ,we stopped in for some pizza and pinball then jumped back in the car for some more laps around town we did a few more big blasts then we were on our way back to my friends house when I looked in the mirror and noticed a cop coming up behind us so I made the turn and pulled up in front of his house ,his dad was in the big picture window looking out,when we opened the doors , all three of us were in the front seat, all I could hear was freeze stay in the car , then let's see six hands on the dash , we are all looking back and forth at each other not saying anything but our mouths were moving.
    Next thing I know the doors all come flying open and a cop has got me by the back of the neck and then I get thrown onto the hood of a cop car and fondled from one end to the other then he spins me around , as I look around all I can see is cop cars every place and cops ripping my car apart ,then this cop asks where are the guns ,what guns I ask, he said that they had a report of a old 4dr car going through town shooting guns, about that time one of the other cops walked up ,it was one that I got along with yes a cool cop, and he says it was the old back fire trick sarge, then sarge looks at me and says can you do now ? I said well I can take you for a ride and do it , he just gave me the look and says write him up ,the cool cop asks for what ,he says for anything I don't care just write him up , then he gets in his car and takes off along with all the other cops.
    Then the cool cop looks at me and says you ass holes what were you thinking, I say what , then he said where did you guys go ,we got the report and had 5 cars out looking for you then almost a hour goes by and you just appear in the middle of town , I told him that we had stopped for pizza and pinball he just shook his head and said what am I going to write you up for , hell I don't know, he says how about faulty exhaust, sounds good to me, he wrote the ticket I said thank you ,he waved then said sorry about your car, I look over its sitting there with the seats out on the ground and everything out of the trunk scattered around.
    Then I go to court ,judge calls me up in front of him and asked ,did you get the problem fixed, I said what problem and he says your exhaust son ,it says that you had a faulty exhaust , did you fix it? Well yes I did sir, I mean your honor, he says ok problem fixed and so is this, and he throws the ticket into the trash next to his desk.
    I did go get a new muffler and I didn't do the back fire trick any more....in that car anyways. 1562571708040~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clem, mgtstumpy, 1953naegle and 10 others like this.
  3. No but we did light cherry bombs and drop them beside the car in the next lane, it scared the crap outta the people in the other car, we usually did this when we were riding around in Dennis's old '62 Rambler until he woke up to a loud boom and saw smoke bellowing out the windows on a hot August morning around 2 AM, It seem that we managed to drop a like cigarette in the car and it was close enough to the bag of fireworks that the smoldering cigarette ignited the fireworks and the cars interior was burnt to a crisp, he junked the car and the fireworks hi jinks was a thing of the past. HRP

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I had a OT truck with 4 inch pipes past the rear end, that would sound like a cannon when I did that. Not wanting to scare people and possibly cause a bad situation, ...... no horse or dog in the countryside was safe around me for years!

While I was a young mechanic at Central garage, we had an old Dodge police car for a shop car. An older mechanic and myself drew a service call in the rough part of town. We spotted about six or seven guys under the hood of a car all looking at the engine........well we had to do it......and do it well..... it split the muffler wide open! But we got our laugh......and the hell out of there!

Bones

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019

5. Back in 1958 I was driving my then girlfriend's father's 1956 Lincoln 2 door hard top down Avon mountain, route 44, in Connecticut. I did the backfire trick, and blew out both mufflers, or resonators. Boy, was it loud. I don't know how she explained to her father what happened, but thankfully, she didn't tell him that I was driving when it happened.

6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

High school age, I with several of my buddies made a pipe bomb out of 4 inch diameter pipe about 6 inches long. Filled it with gunpowder that we pulled the lead bullet off many bullets and poured the gunpowder into the pipe. For a fuse we have a M80 in the pipe with the gunpowder with the string coming out of a small hole that we drill into the pipe (before we poured in the gunpowder). Screw the two caps on to the ends of the pipe and off we went. We attached a Camel to the end of the M80 fuse. We lit the Camel and place the whole thing into a dumpster next to the bank and across the street from a Mickey's Ds. We lit the bomb and went across the street, place our order and sat and waited for the bomb to go off. Went that went off, it blew the dumpster apart, took out the large windows in the bank and set off the Bank's alarm, and scattered the windows in Mickey's D. So we all sat there like nothing happen and watch the fire department, police department, soon to arrived State Police, go into action. A cop came across the street and ask us if we saw anything along with the rest of the people and workers at Mickey's Ds. To our surprise the girl at the counter, reported to the cops, that a plane flew over from the local Air Base and drop a bomb on the dumpster, which blew out the bank's windows as well as the cracking the windows at Mickey's Ds. When the cops left, she came over to us, and say, "you guys owe me big time"!!!!

woodsnwater, The37Kid, 60F250 and 2 others like this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

Wow.......are you aware of what the statute of limitations are on that kind of offense? Here's a clue...Run.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Wow! You guys are really lucky no one was killed or injured. There is a movie similar to what you did. Kids placed a home made bomb in a mail box. Killed their friend (I think) who went to get the mail. The movie ends with the kids grown up and how they dealt with the quilt. Forget the name of it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oxy/Acety ballons anyone? We did those a lot, and one night we set one in a quarter car wash stall (when it was really a quarter). We lit the fuse and pulled away then parked on the side street next to it. Late Sunday night, nobody around, then holy shit! A guy pulls in with his pickup. This was like 11pm and lucky for him (or us!) he went to the far end stall. Within 3 min it went off and echoed through the whole damn neighborhood. Porchlights popped on and we just innocently drove away, faking it like "WTF was that?" We took the long way around and rolled up some 5min later to find 3 cop cars, people outside in their bathrobes and shit, cops looking all over the place. Small balloon, only about 10" around like the .20c ones for kids bithdays and such. The cool part is that they leave no trace of what it might be.

Funnier yet, shooting bottle rockets out the window as you pass by. My buddy decides to send one towards a guy on a bus stop bench. He sees us, looks closer, closer, then 'Wooosh!" it heads toward the guy. He takes off and can't get traction like a Flintstone cartoon. I'm fuckin laughing my ass off as I type this!. Didn't go anywhere near the guy but he freaked out and we could hear him yelling at us after. On slow nights of street racing we'd drag race bottle rockets down the middle of the street. We only did the exhaust blow with our junkers or cars we'd buy for the engine or parts before we cut em up. Silly kid stuff but still funny. Today you'd get a visit from Homeland Security for the balloon trick...!

woodsnwater likes this.
  10. The bottle rocket scenarios reminded me of something we did at Hershey one year. As people were packing up after the event, 5, or 6 of us were standing around in a rainy drizzle. One of our buddies from California, who is now deceased, had some sky rockets that were bigger than bottle rockets. We shot them off, but one of them had a broken stick. We propped two wet 2x4's to form a V, and we lit the rocket. It took off and began a low spiral loop. About 2 aisles away 2 guys were loading a rental truck with their unsold parts. The rocket went right over one guys shoulder, and into the rental truck box and exploded. No body was hurt, but, But I think the guy in the truck shit his pants. They came tearing over to us, really pissed off. I don't blame them. We were very apologetic, and after a few nervous minutes they went back to their truck. We were very lucky that day, and haven't done anything that stupid since then.

11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

12. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

The movie was The Butterfly Effect starring Ashton Kutcher in 2004. They kept going back to the beginning trying to change the outcome of their actions, hence the Butterfly Effect. No matter what they did, the outcome was always bad.

If you think about just one thing that you did years ago and it was changed, where would you be now? One action can change everything, I guess that is why we don't have time machines. You can't change the past, you can just be sorry for your actions.

clem and scrappybunch like this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I was out with a couple buddies tossing out Cherry Bombs , when all the sudden one went off in the back seat right beside me . Not a fun experience . Destroyed the seat , door card , headliner and me . Come to find out the passenger threw it out , instead of exiting it hit the door post and in the seat by me . It was his brother’s car , needless to say a hell of a fight between brothers broke out . Not a one of us could hear Johnny on the way . Not a good spot to be in when he arrived . I didn’t know the other two , I was hitch hiking and they gave me a ride , officer . Ha ha

woodsnwater likes this.
  14. Yes ive did the key backfiretrick many times. One time there where three teens walking on the sidewalk with a basketball, two white kids one black kid. I did the backfire. and the two white kids jumped. the black kid hit the dirt. my son Zack stated he must have been from Chicago or St Louis?

15. Did the backfire trick one night. Was running open headers on my truck and saw a guy on a bicycle way up in front of me. Got up some speed coasted in and hit the key. Boom it went off and the guy ran off the road and through a big garden wiped out in the middle. Much funnier in my mind than on this page. Kids, geeze!

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

My Dad was telling me of one of his Lodge brothers, a retired farmer, doing the oxy/acety bit, only with garbage bags. They'd fill a couple, then go out in one of the fields to light them off. Coin toss on each one, looser had to go light the bag.

17. MikeFam

MikeFam

We would do it to scare cows.

18. touring20

touring20

Trouble with teenage boys is they always have “up the anti”
    I was street racing on a safe dead end country road , a guy in a 58 ford fairlane challenged me to a race , I ask what does he have for a engine ? He says it’s stock I think 312 in a four thousand pound car cool !
    (Kind of Throaty sounding car!)
    He had “my 64 nova SS”out of the hole a full car length! Got a fender length on him in third !
    Shut down at the quarter mile mark and turned inside of our radius I yeld what do you have ?
    He laughed and said a Chrysler 440 but its stock ! Sleepers !