Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by waynegen, Jul 10, 2019.

1. waynegen

waynegen

Need some advice . I'm replacing the trunk floor and the lower roll pan. It was completely rusted out and the previous owner cut a huge hole to mount a mustang gas tank in the trunk. I have the main part of the new floor welded in and was starting on the lower roll pan. The trunk lid gaps are way off. The roll pan area is good, but above the tail lights and below have closed up. I have attached tie down straps to each tail light and to my lift and can get the correct gaps, but the is no way that when I weld in the roll pan that it will stay.
    The only that I see to solve this problem is to cut the gutter and weld. It looks like the only thing that holds the correct gap. Am I heading in the right direction?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You know more than I but I would suggest bracing The body.

The old time body repair manuals of that era show bracing to keep the body straight. They also show port a powers, jacks and spreaders to align panels.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Pics might help for advice.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. waynegen

waynegen

5. waynegen

waynegen

The gap was bad before I removed the floor. I hate to weld in a brace that will always be in the way. I guess I could weld in the roll pan and then port-a-power till I can get it to stay.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I'm not an expert but I think you are headed in the wrong direction.
    Isn't there an inner piece of metal behind the roll pan that is welded
    at each end to the inner rear fender sheet metal? It would serve as an inner fender brace .
    That inner piece would keep the fender/trunk lid gap correct and provide structural
    integrity so that the roll pan could be replaced without altering inner fender dimensions.
    You should be able to remove and replace the roll pan without the fenders moving in or out. I think it's like an outer rocker panel.The outer rocker doesn't control door gap. That's done by the integrity of the inner rocker and the floor.
    Here's an example in a 51 Merc. and a link to a Ford trunk. Wish it showed the inside of the trunk floor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1949+ford+trunk+photos&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Gmv4lmLUYTjgEM%3A%2CTEB2XxzMD-8oPM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kT5901X5dJPm7qvXy2BnnWlloK73g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYicyOhK3jAhUXLs0KHYhtAeAQ9QEwAHoECAgQBA#imgrc=Gmv4lmLUYTjgEM:

Be patient and watch this after it loads. Very interesting.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1949-1951-shoebox-ford-trunk-rehab/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Lines and flatford39 like this.
  7. waynegen

waynegen

19fORDY
    Thanks for the reply and the two videos. I may be heading in the wrong direction. I have not installed the inner metal for the roll pan. When I cut out the floor, I noticed that the floor was not welded at all to the quarter panels. Just cork and tar held it in place. The inner panel helps the roll pan fit correctly, but does not help the tail light areas. There is a small triangle piece on each side that welds to the top of rear pan and the channel. Do you think that would hold the gap correct.

kiwiandy likes this.
  8. That sounds exactly like my '50 coupe, I removed the Moostang gas tank I made a new floor and installed a correct new gas tank. HRP

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You can be sure that little corner pieces are there to at least keep the bottom of the trunk opening "square."
    Tack weld them in place and see if things improve.

10. X2 on the corner pieces. They are there for a reason. The ones on my '51 are larger than the ones on my '49.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

53C8B170-403C-4463-A63C-978A19FBD726.jpeg 6ADD9CA3-9514-4173-9D8B-D9361060C76F.jpeg We never had those triangles on our 49 when we got it ,did not know they existed. By the time we replaced the trunk lid , the complete rear window hole , parcel self , trunk hinges, and 3/4 of the rear 1/4s the trunk lid did not fit well (It was ok prior to this but full of filler) We made our own rear rolled pan, and trunk floor.
    We simply sliced the trunk gaps around till it fitted nicely , with no stress on the metal.

12. waynegen

waynegen

976759E4-6B49-4330-9B0F-48846F105914.jpeg Thanks for all the help guys.I appreciate all the input. I kept pulling, welding and still could not get the gap I wanted. So I did what Kiwi4D suggested. Cut a slit and welded Thanks Kiwi 4d

13. waynegen

waynegen

New question and progress photos. Decided to take a break on body repair and work on chassis.
    What are the best headers for the 49 with the flathead and stock steering box. Cheap center dump or the new cast.
    Both of my are cracked. Thanks IMG_1597.jpg IMG_1596.jpg IMG_1342.jpg IMG_1605.jpg IMG_1609.jpg IMG_1618.jpg IMG_1619.jpg

14. I had to do the same thing you did, that is, slice the inside of the fenders and weld them back together....right next to the trunk lid edge .... trunk lid still doesn't have the right curvature ... oh well......................
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Body-Work/i-RhXVxkR/A

15. 'Mo

'Mo

16. waynegen

waynegen

Great photos and comments. I have the same problem on the upper right corner of trunk gap. I will try the manila and plastic wrap trick to correct mine. My trunk lid also hits the lower pan and a little to tight when closed. I am planning to try to stretch it a little. Thanks