Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 headlight bar differences

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin in PA, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

I'm familiar with the general differences with the '32 headlight bars (4 cyl, V8 car, truck) but I'm not sure about the general shape. Out of all of my light bars, I have a 4 cylinder bar that is noticeably flatter than the V8 bars. In researching HAMB threads on the subject, I found one comment that early bars were flatter and closer to the grill than later bars. Is this correct or were the 4 cylinder bars actually closer to the grill since there was no V8 emblem on them? The picture below has the 4 cylinder bar on the left (don't pay attention to the V8 emblem on the center bar as it is on backwards). Also, all are original bars with the wrapped stainless cover in the slot.

Light bars.jpg

2. My understanding is that the early bars rubbed the radiator grill and the shape was changed to fix the problem. A good question for ford barn.

Charlie Stephens

Kiwi 4d and Justin in PA like this.
  3. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Changed in Mid June to offset outward 9/16" for added clearance.

Hamtown Al and Justin in PA like this.
  4. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

Thanks for the explanation.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Boy I thought I knew a lot about 32's, but you guys learnt me a new one.

Montana1 likes this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

How many points do you lose if you have an early bar on a later serial numbered car?

j3harleys likes this.
  7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

What was done to create the added clearance was, the arched piece between the headlite mounting cups, was simply rotated forward.
    I do "Dropped " '32 headlite bars, and have handled hundreds of them.

Hamtown Al, Montana1 and HemiDeuce like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

My early 32 sedan with it's original bar had a little rub spot on the grille bars. I just thought that the grille had been out of alignment at some point in it's life. When I dropped the headlight bar I did rotate the center section forward (including the cups) to give more clearance. I never even realized I did the same as the factory.

clem likes this.
  9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC02210.JPG Here's one that Henry NEVER built!
    I fabed this from a twisted one. Everyone runs a 2 inch dropped one, I wanted to be different. On the garage floor I used my old 4 cyl. light bar to attain the right curvature across the grill section with soapstone mark, then cut the 2 good flange ends off, used 3/4 mild steel rod to match the curve, mated the 2 headlight sockets to the bar, then had it chrome plated. The difference between 4 cyl. & V-8 bars is easy to I.D.---No hole in center of bar for the V-8 emblem.---Don

Hamtown Al, 32Stoker and Montana1 like this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our fairly original 32 B4 pickup has had the headlight bar rub through a couple of grill bars ,I always thought it was a bent bar causing this . Yes i know the grills are different between passenger and commercial.

11. clem

clem

Were the pickup bars the same as passenger cars ? Did they have the stainless bar in the middle ? Thanks.

12. clem

clem

96A375E2-8EA9-44F5-B060-0F45494044ED.jpeg C74CA8A3-7D16-414F-B3BC-FFD6A6DEF322.jpeg
    Our first attempt at dropping an original one ! 80mm

13. Years ago I was talking to Deuce Roadster and told him the headlight bar had rubbed a spot on my grille shell insert and I thought the bar had been pushed back at some point, he explained that there was a difference in the early production and late headlight bars late just about everything elso on the early & late Deuces.

Don now owns the car and I would assume it still has the early headlight bar and is still rubbing the insert. HRP

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure miss ol' Randy!

15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may explain why our headlight bar has rubbed right through the grill bars on our 32 pickup ,as its an early 32 with no angle legs on the centre crossmember and a few other things different making it an early one.