Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical IS IT SAFE TO GIVE OUT VINS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Time Bandit, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Time Bandit

Time Bandit

I'm selling a model A ENGINE and I'm getting asked for the numbers. Is there any real problem with giving it out?

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Your getting asked by more than one potential buyer for the VIN? If so it is an odd request.

3. I would think someone is trying to verify it is indeed a Model A. HRP

4. noboD

noboD

Or get title for your car.

5. squirrel

squirrel

tell them the number, but substitute XXXXX for the last 5 digits.

Tim likes this.
  6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Model A VIN could be the frame number or engine number. The engine number will tell you month and year of the engine manufacture. I use the frame number on the CCPU and the Zipper has a bonded title with a VIN assigned by the state. Since every state is different, it would be difficult to register an A with somebody else’s VIN.

7. belair

belair

Be sure to give them your social security number too.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I go along with what Squirrel said, But looking at this you can give them pertinent info without giving the exact numerical serial number by giving the letters and then telling them that the number drops between ______ and ______ indicating that it was made in ___ of ________ Once you scroll down this page it is pretty well self explanatory.
    http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

9. Deuces

Deuces

:rolleyes:

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Just curious,

How many of you would buy an engine if your looking for a specific one without numbers ? Only on the word of the seller?

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I bought an A frame for a builder and asked about the numbers. The seller gave them to me so I could run the number through the system to see if it was registered anywhere ( it wasn't). So I bought the frame and registered it. I believe the same number is on the frame and motor so you could have 2 vehicles trying to register with the same number if the engine got removed from the original frame and they're both still around.