Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Great depression homemade trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56cadillackid, Jul 9, 2019.

1. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

If any of you read the Grapes of Wrath you learned about how families trying to reach California would buy whatever beat up old car they could afford and often convert them into trucks. While scrolling ebay I came across what appears to be a great depression era pickup conversation though it would have been a rather new car at the time. Just thinking about the history behind this truck and how it and converted cars like it may have carried people and their belongings across the United States fascinated me so I figured that a thread on the HAMB would be appropriate given the historical nature of these vehicles. So if you have any pictures of them, own one, or just have a story about them feel free to add it.
    The one from ebay is a 1935 Nash Ambassador Super it definitely reminds me of the hudson pickups and actually looks pretty good.
    Screenshot_20190709-205612_eBay.jpeg Screenshot_20190709-205621_eBay.jpeg Screenshot_20190709-205633_eBay.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spooky, sololobo, scotts52 and 18 others like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Id add some ribs on the tail gate to match the hood, nomad style.

osage orange likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A lot of cars got turned into trucks during WWII due to gas rationing. You could get more gas coupons if you had a truck. Plus new trucks were extremely hard to get, there were a few built, but local governments got most of them. Carmakers even got into the act with pickup beds that fit in the back trunk area of some cars.

gnichols, Blue One, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  4. That is a myth that will live forever. Ration coupons were issued to individuals based upon their jobs and their necessity to the war effort. Doctors got more gas than housewives, for instance

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I used to hang out at a local garage in the early 70s owned by Harry Dort, he opened his shop in San Diego in 1918. He told me that after the depression hit he couldn't buy old coupes fast enough to rip off the trunk lids and rumble seats to make pick ups .Sold like hot cakes.

Deuces, AHotRod, 6-bangertim and 2 others like this.
  6. ...here' a Dodge(corrected) I like,..and a few sketches
    jalopyfest 9-6-14 019.jpg jalopyfest 9-6-14 022.jpg jalopyfest 9-6-14 021.jpg jalopyfest 9-6-14 020.jpg woodart 2018 362.jpg woodart 2018 363.jpg woodart 2018 364.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    40FORDPU, sololobo, X-cpe and 19 others like this.
  7. topher5150

topher5150

kind of like this one The-Beverly-Hillbillies-41.jpg

sololobo, i.rant, VANDENPLAS and 12 others like this.
  8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

They Just Had To Get The Job Done...And Did.. 1 a hay.jpg

9. 28sc

28sc

Hello,
    I just joined specifically to post on this thread. I generally just read and learn. This truck is a 1918 Dodge Touring car cut just behind the front seat. This was pretty common in the era to create a small truck. The top is a cut down California Top. California Tops were used to create a closed car from a touring. I could not see how this one was made when I was digging it out of the hoard in a condemned building this spring. Once I got it out I was able to see that the chassis was also cut and a Model TT back half was grafted on. Everything bolts up and rolls well. I intend to restore the vehicle as it sits.

Attached Files:

10. alchemy

alchemy

Thirty years ago my Dad bought at a local farm auction a 30 Ford pickup with a 29 roadster rear bustle welded to it. The exact opposite of turning your passenger car into a truck. Who knows why? We always refered to the abomination as "The Pickster". Dad disassembled the thing, cutting the bustle off and sold the nice cab at a swap meet. Many of the 29 fender parts went onto my little bro's black coupe.

Nowadays my bro drives his hot rod 29 A pickup that is made from an old shortened sedan conversion. He found it a couple decades ago, thinking he'd use the good doors and cowl for repairing a coupe or sedan, but the thing just had a vibe and he rebuilt it into a pickup again with the old green hot rod paintjob. He'll post some pics here I'm sure.

11. F&J

F&J

That most likely is a Rex Top. If it was, the wooden door tops were removable with two bolts for summer use, and they had a compartment above the windshield to store the side curtains in case of summer rains. I had a 1920 Reo 6 made into a pickup with a cut off Rex top.( 2 pics below) Those tops were very expensive when new.
    t8ox00.jpg 2dj8ok1.jpg

California tops were also made for roadsters, but are extremely rare. I put one on a 1918 Studebaker that was once a touring that was made into a fancy shop truck in the 30s. I can't find a pic of it right now.

below is a 1925 Star touring made into a pickup in the depression. I sold it to a friend who lost it in a huge barn fire last year. I did put the correct rear wooden wheels on it after this pic was taken.
    2e6anx0.jpg

Jet96, Spooky, Squablow and 13 others like this.
  12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...That is a myth that will live forever. Ration coupons were issue..."
    Yes right, but there were pickup conversions motivated by rationing! Farmers were a group with ration rules based on their necessities. In the '60's I spent a LOT of school vacation time with my wonderful Grandfather, hunting in rural Mississippi and Alabama for '32 Ford parts for the picked over hulk of a '32 I owned. Damned poor pickings...I suspect that no one in Mississippi had enough money to buy a car in '32.
    My Grandfather was a retired county agricultural agent who knew everyone and was very social, hunted for leads all year, and we spent the summer tracking them down.
    One reported hulk was behind a barn covered with weeds; naturally, it wasn't a '32 but was most of the body of a '31 Fordor, the fancy one with armrest and stuff inside.
    We got the story from a man whose family had owned it as the family car AND family truck.
    they drove it everywhere, sometimes full of the family, sometimes with back seat pulled out and luggage rack down loaded with all the stuff bought and sold to run a farm, including and occasional calf or two.
    cone WWII and rationing, they traveled to wherever the government was in East Nowhere, Mississippi to get signed up for farm truck rations. The Powers that Were were sympathetic, but pointed out that their truck said "Sedan" on its paperwork and so there.
    After much whining and arm waving, the truth had to be adjusted to match bureaucratic truth...
    They got a cab and box from a junkyard, swapped tin until the feds were happy, changed their registraion with state and county, and voila! Their truck became a truck! They now got enough gas to keep the farm going, but had to ride to Church on Sunday with Aunt Petunia in the truck bed. I got to pick over the sedan bits a quarter century later.

Those were good summers...I learned a LOT about the pre-1960 past, still largely alive in Mississippi, found people and amazing cars (none of them '32's, which didn't matter since I had no money), and had a great time for years.

13. F&J

F&J

I found some more pics on a pic hosting site that is horrible to access...I wish I could upload some more Rex pics for your resto.
    Here is the 1918 Stude first.. I found the Rex roadster top in a friends barn, and it fit this Studebaker cutdown touring good enough, even though we never knew what brand of roadster it was originally made to fit.
    rexstude2.jpg efkq6x.jpg

below are more pics of the 1920 Reo with Rex Top. Pics show the overhead storage of the summer side curtains. These curtains were never used as they still had the tags on them.
    2ajvxhd.jpg
    10e3tdf.jpg 14sz98z.jpg

The Rex brass ID tag was above the windshield on the Reo. You can see the fancy broadcloth that was used on the headliner.
    1etfn7.jpg

I've owned way too many cars in my life, it seems. I recently lost my passions of owning anything at all, so I doubt I will ever end up with any more.

Jet96, Spooky, Squablow and 18 others like this.
  14. I have a couple of them. The 1st one is one my dad made from a '27 Chrysler in in '55, it wasn't during the depression but he was trying to keep the farm running so money was and still is tight. The second picture is the phaeton I'm making out of it. Third picture is a '26 Dodge flatdeck made from a car way back. When I got it it had a gravity dump box on it but I made it into a flatdeck for around the farm. IMG_20190402_072706557.jpg IMG_20190629_064745324.jpg IMG_20190519_122344353.jpg

Spooky, VANDENPLAS, AHotRod and 10 others like this.
  15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Isn't it amazing what and how they got things done back in the day?

I always look back at that era with amazement with the things accomplished with little to no money. Some of us can't afford a certain tool etc and with a garage full of tools, grinders, welders, torches etc we can't build it but I guess it's was really true back then " necessity is the mother of invention".

16. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When my better 1/2 and I are looking for a replacement vehicle, the question always arises,

"How many hay bales will it hold?" !

VANDENPLAS, AHotRod and greener200 like this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I think I own that car now. Explains why my fenders sag!

Jet96, Spooky and AHotRod like this.
  18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have what's left of a 31 Ford coupe that was cut and made into a pickup. the chassis was good , so it ended up under another model A body.
    IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0709.JPG

Jet96, Spooky, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  19. town sedan

town sedan

The full on conversions are cool as hell, but I'm also curious about the vintage aftermarket conversions.
    I know Sears Roebuck as well as others sold kits to turn a trunk into a small pickup box. My dad during the 1930's had a T coupe with a homemade box that set into the space that use to be covered by the decklid.

Does anyone have pictures, or any other information on these period "truck" conversions?
    -Dave

AHotRod and kiwijeff like this.
  20. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

My little '26 Dodge Brothers.
    IMG_20190710_150033158_HDR.jpg FB_IMG_1548725363137.jpg

Jet96, das858, Spooky and 9 others like this.
  21. 28sc

28sc

F&J, Thanks for taking a look at my post. The Rex top you have looks a lot like mine even down to the broadcloth scraps hanging in the cab. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

F&J likes this.
  22. 28sc

28sc

My 24 Model T pickup was a Runabout prior to being converted into a pickup. The back deck or turtleneck is removable. The bed I have is all wood and curved to fit the back of the cab closely. I have some documents on the car suggesting it was a pickup as early as 1930 based on registration.

Attached Files:

Jet96, VANDENPLAS, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Read it and weep. 1931 Cadillac V12 touring car cut down into a farm truck, photographed in the early fifties. Note the twin side mounts, welded on to the back wheels to make it a dually.

[​IMG]

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Smith Form-A-Truck. Turn your Model T into a one ton, chain drive truck. Apparently there are a few of these still around.

[​IMG]

Jet96, AHotRod and kiwijeff like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

Never saw a conversion top for a roadster or touring into a coupe or sedan before today, very interesting.

I've also heard the gas rationing stamp myth, and heard these things called "depression trucks" but I really think they're both a misnomer. Old cars were cheap, trucks were not, so old cars got chopped up into trucks for farm use. Really didn't need any further explanation.

seb fontana likes this.
  26. noboD

noboD

28sc and F&J, from what I know DB used several winter tops. Anchor, Weatherproof, Acorn, Rex and Johnson are some. I know of two roadsters with Rex tops and maybe a dozen touring cars. 28sc, your truck is cool. These trucks kind of remind me of utes from down under.

27. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I was told , During World War 2 , pickups were given extra gas rations, that was often the reason for modifying coupes with a box in the back etc.

Atwater Mike and Spooky like this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pictures but I put groceries in a Model A coupe that had the conversion bed in it in 1964/66 when I was a box boy at Safeway. An old couple had it and that was their only vehicle that I figured at that time they had had since it was new or near new. The woman used to have me go to the back room to look through the sacks of flour for a certain pattern that she was using to sew something with. They lived on a farm far enough out of town that they normally showed up about once a month.
    The wrecking yard we used to hit a lot on Saturdays out east of Waco TX had an early 30's Packard that had had the body cut off behind the front seat and had a wrecker boom on it. Yard owner said it had been "the" wrecker for that yard in years past. From the looks of it it had gone from road duty to yard dog before it gave up the ghost and got parked in what appeared to be a place of honor.