Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 mercury 312 y-block questions.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Craig Christian, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

FB_IMG_1498142048938.jpg Ok so a couple years ago I pulled and rebuilt my motor..... the first year after the break in period it ran great water temp right where I like it...even when idling after a long drive.... (original temp gauge so dont know actual temperature) .... well last year I noticed that the water temperature "appears" to be a bit higher than I like to see it........ I need to double check the valve lash ..... guess I'm just wanting to know what else I should put on my list of things I need to look at...... hope that makes sense....... thanks in advance for any help you can give.......

Okie Pete and dana barlow like this.
  2. Clogged radiator. late timing. too lean a fuel mixture. bad hoses. worn impeller on water pump. bad thermostat. I would flush my cooling system and add premixed antifreeze.

Oldioron likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You know your ride better than anyone, if something changed look into it.

Rick & Jan likes this.
  4. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

Radiator was recored just before the rebuild water pump flows good thermostat working correctly (I pulled and tested), timing is a possibility as the gears and chain were brand new when I rebuilt the motor so could have stretched and I hadn't thought of it being two lean of a fuel mixture........ I'll need to check that

dana barlow likes this.

5. williebill

williebill

Gorgeous car. Glad you kept the y-block. Good luck.

King ford and dana barlow like this.
  6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

What are you using for a temperature gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best investment you can make with a y block is an infrared thermometer from Amazon or someone. Cheap, $20-25 works fine. I don’t know what gauges they were using by 59, but a lot of minor items tend to cause variances in the ford gauges. The old King Seeley gauges especially. With the sender in the back of the head, it will read hotter at the thermostat housing than the gauge location. It doesn’t sound like you’re overheating, so find out what the temperature really is.

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

6697D328-35D6-4F50-A77B-0E7576490BF1.jpeg Hey! I’ve got one of those! Not many around!

Bones

9. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

Nice....... is that a 3 speed manual??? Reason I ask is I'm looking for the transmission mount that attaches to the crossmember......

King ford and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

The original one...... all it says is \temp/

11. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

Thanks..... had to keep the original motor....... The car only has 53,000 original miles on it and has never been restored....... basically all original car..... I was able to put it on air ride without having to modify or cut any of the suspension........ that's the only reason I put it on air.......

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With today's gasoline, at least it's what I blame it on, Y-blocks seem to run hotter. On the Yblocksforever site they write of many fixes. For me it was speeding up the water pump by using a 302 Ford Mustang bought from Summit along with pulley spacer kit. Also is putting a plug in the short hose from the thermostat housing to the pump and drilling a 1/8" hole in it..this is a well known fix.
    The pulley deal is ez to test. Start with a cold engine, remove the radiator cap, start engine and let warm up to operating temp high enough you know the thermostat is open, look in the rad to see if there is any movement of water, if none raise idle very slightly, (100-200 rpm) if there is water movement then you need a smaller pulley on the pump so water moves at idle.
    This actually helps in normal driving too. Good luck..great looking Mercury...

loudbang and Okie Pete like this.
  13. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

You mention a plug in the smaller hose and drilling a 1/8th inch hole in it...... my question is what will that do other than slow the flow down through there...... I guess I'm not sure what that smaller hose is for........ I thought it was a bypass hose..... i feel kinda dumb right now....lol

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No it’s got a Ford-a-matic in it and a 292 two barrel. Sorry.

Bones

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That little hose is a by-pass for the water pump. Most all engines have one some where. Chevies are built into the water pump. If you “ dead head” a water pump it will create a lot of heat. Like you I cannot see reducing that by-pass to 1/8 inch helping cool an engine..... but I have seen stranger things.

Bones

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Craig, it is a bypass hose allowing the coolant to bypass the radiator when the engine is warming up. When it does warm up it continues to bypass too much coolant (in a lot of guys opinion including mine) adding to the temperature of the coolant in the engine. Too many of us Y-block guys we need to have more coolant going thru the radiator during normal use. I used a 3/8" brass pipe plug in the middle of the hose with the 1/8" hole drilled in it.

I do not know if you have a fan shroud or not, my 56 did not, and a guy in Texas made them. I added a 5 blade fan along with the 160 thermostat my engine finally became stable in all kinds of weather. I was then able to put in a 170* thermostat as the engine was originally equiped.
    All my thermostats have been high-flow and there is a difference. They are available for Mopar engines and work in our Yblocks.

My car, for some climates, also had a panel above the radiator and front facia mount. I found one and added it with a rubber seal. This forced all the air entering the grille to go thru the radiator which really helped. Before it was added much of the air did not enter the radiator but went over it which helped the under hood temp but didn't do much to help cool the engine.

Ford actually made many water pump pulleys from in the 5-7+" range for different parts of the country and weather needs. A winter car in Maine didn't have the same cooling requirements as Arizona summers.

Remember we never had these problems before ethanol was added to our gasoline..I blame most of this on it and I drove these cars in the 50-60's

17. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

I've seen a lot of people talking about running a 170° high flow thermostat...... and running a smaller pulley on the water pump to speed up the flow........ now call me stupid but for coolant to cool down I needs to stay in the radiator for a certain amount of time...... correct?? Speeding up the flow to much could potentially have the reverse affect because it cant stay in the radiator long enough to drop the temperature....... right?? I've been thinking of putting an electric fan on the radiator on the grill side to push more air past the fins on the radiator but I'd rather figure out why the temps seem higher..... then I can fix the actual issue before it turns into something bigger..... if that makes sense...... I'll be digging in to it this weekend as the heat is a bit to overwhelming right now to be playing with a hot motor......lol

18. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

And as a side note I always run premium fuel with a lead additive...... and oil has a zddp additive in it as well

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you followed what I said the flow test about little to no flow at idle you can see what I mean. Where I live we idle way too much when driving place to place and the radiator could never catch up. My engine never sees 3000 rpm barely 2500 which is fine with the smaller pulley. I'm assuming the coolant exchange is fine becaus mines been this way for 5 years.
    Automatic engines also run hotter due the torque converters of that era.

20. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

+1 on using the infrared temp gun to determine the exact temperature your car is running.

My Y block has the opposite problem of many, it won’t overheat idling but gets hot running on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

I do understand what your saying....... and mine is a 3 speed manual......

22. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m another one with the drilled plug in the bypass hose, I used a 3/16” hole IIRC. There’s a ton of water going thru that even with the stat open. A friend hooked up a garden hose, and checked it. Lots of water.

Jimmy is also right about air bypassing the radiator. A tight shroud well sealed, and the panels to force air thru the radiator at speed are a major improvement. I’ve fought this for 20 years and several motors in the bird, and it’s solved.

I still think you need to check everything with an infrared thermometer and make sure you’ve got a cooling problem and not a gauge problem. You’ll be able to check the temp at the sender, the upper and lower radiator hose, even down the radiator itself, all with the engine running at low and fast idle. My cheap units are typically within 1 degree of the Fluke meters my HVAC guy uses to check air delivery temps. I even use it to set the griddle temp for perfect pancakes.

AldeanFan, you might try that solution, too. The combination of bypassed water and air going around the radiator could be part or all of your problem at speed.

23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What's the perfect temp for pancakes?

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you throw water on the cook top and it splatters:rolleyes:

Truck64 and King ford like this.
  25. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

57 Fairlane 500 312 engine with add on a/c ran hot so new aluminum radiator with shroud and 6 blade fan. 195 and it's only in the 90's so see trouble ahead. Ran cool without a/c. Fan is half in shroud, timing right, exhaust not restricted, and tried running with hood up six inches for air flow (57 hoods open at rear), No change so if you find out what your problem is please post it.

26. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

To be honest I didnt see this post when I was asking about coolant flowing to fast through the radiator....... after seeing it I understand a lot more of why the plug in the bypass hose would lower the engine temp

27. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

Ok....... update on my temps....... it got up to 195 at the temperature sensor, 193 at the bypass hose, 201 after the thermostat and 203 before the thermostat......... I'm going to pickup a 170° hi-flow thermostat and install the 3/8 ths plug with a 3/16 ths hole in it into the bypass hose ....... after that's done I'll post my results.......

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's about perfect, isn't it?

29. 59Tele

59Tele

Well now we're getting somewhere.

30. Craig Christian

Craig Christian
    from Indiana

Ok folks....... so just installed a 170° hi-flo thermostat and installed a plug with a 3/16ths hole in it in the bypass hose...... and all my temps dropped over 10° and if I bring the rpms up I can actually watch the temp gauge drop....... so before the change I was around 205 before the thermostat and now I'm at 195 roughly... after thermostat was at 200 roughly now at 190 roughly..... bypass hose was at 193 now at around 185 ........ looks like that should do very well..... and its hotter today outside than it was when I took the initial readings.......