Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 F100 truck steering box

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bewdley96, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bewdley96

bewdley96
    from UK

Hi
    Just bought a steering box rebuild kit with the bronze bushes worm gear bearings and seals ,I have just come to try and press the bronze bushes out and they seem to tight to come out and worried that I might be pressing the wrong way have tried going from inside out so the seal is being pushed out with the bushes but no go so tried the other way and still no go ,worried about going with to much pressure and cracking the box ,in the UK so they are hard to come by cheers .

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You need to pull the seal on the end of the sector housing out before pushing the bushings out. I used a drift from the inside of the box to knock it out.

3. alchemy

alchemy

They are straight sided bushings, so it shouldn't make any difference which way you push. I'd actually try to catch an edge and curl them inward, so you aren't pressing the whole distance. Using the corner of a sharp punch on the edge usually works. Just don't gouge the box casting too much.

Pressing in the new ones is harder. If the replacements are split, I'd recommend using some bushing locker Loctite to hold them in place. And reaming is very important. Make sure the fit to the sector shaft is firm but not tight.

4. As stated above, you will need to size the bushing. They are Not pre sized for fit to the sector shaft. Second, don't hone them it shortens there life. Use an adjustable ream and go easy on it. You'll be glad in the long run.

5. Hello
    I found this when I rebuilt my Gemmer, 1953 F100. Gemmer1-1.jpg Gemmer2-1.jpg Gemmer3-1.jpg

Tim and cactus1 like this.
  6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use a hacksaw blade to cut the old bushing. Relieves the press fit and it should pop right out. Chill the new bushings before pressing them in

Tim likes this.
  7. An adjustable reamer won't work with split bushings. Any machine shop can precision hone them fairly cheap. You want the best fit possible or you are just wasting your time and money...

8. alchemy

alchemy

My machinist buddy does it with a big hone like would be used on rods. Not the cheap ones like brake cylinder hones. It needs to be a precision operation.

RMR&C likes this.