Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ford F-250 backing plates w/buick drums ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i bought a pair of 1955 F-250 12 in. backing plates for my 34 rdst. have all the new parts and drums and hubs mounted, all work good. problem.. bk plates use a single piston whl. cylinder, does the piston face the back, or front of car???

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I know nothing about this swap , I would maybe like to do this myself , if I could locate the parts . Not high up on my to do list today . My question is can you swap wheel cylinder to later style dual “ cup” style instead of the single “ cup “ style . I have no knowledge or idea about any of this , but the dual cup is the answer if it is possible to do . This may also need a later style brake shoe to finish up the swap . Again , I have no idea , just thinkin aloud .

3. I happen to have a 53 F250 in the hoard. haven't ever taken off the front hubs to check the piston direction. I had a 56 3/4 and it had dual piston wheel cyls.

4. I‘m not an expert on these, but I think you have the wrong backing plates. If it has only a single direction wheel cylinder, it should have 2 of them. Then these are not bendix style backing plates. A photo of the backing plate would help

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. There where fords that had only one single piston wheel cyl on the front brakes.

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I have the brake set up boo talks about on the front of my avatar. The wheel cylinders ha D0CCE291-E35E-4148-B9ED-F3D6D1C14033.jpeg have one piston each. There is a right and left wheel cylinder so a quick look at one of the wheel cylinders should tell you what I can’t remember; the answer to the direction question. Also, fwiw, these brakes are awesome and in a way much more affordable than Lincoln brakes with all the advantages. If you really wanted, you could convert to double wheel cylinders but I can’t see the value. At the time I endeavored to install them, I did a bunch of reading and decided to keep the single wheel cylinders and have not been disappointed.

7. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I did this a few years ago. Converted to dual piston cylinders. You must drill an additional hole to mount the cylinders. Thread on here someplace lists the part # for the cylinder.

8. Besides the part number those F series backing plates are also stamped left and right and the single side wheel cylinders are side specific; should be able to determine which is which.

1D-2012-B .. Right Front Backing Plate / 13 7/16" O.D. / Stamped: 301917

1D-2013-B .. Left Front Backing Plate / 13 7/16" O.D. / Stamped: 301916

Applications: 1951/52 F2/F3 / 1953/56 F250/350.

Seems most people change to a dual side wheel cylinder; F-100 is the usual choice. Same brake shoes.
    F series med.jpg

9. I used 53-56 F100 pickup dual pin wheel cylinders. Just indexed and drilled a second mounting hole.
    IMG_2817.JPG

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  10. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

thanks guys, i have the exact setup as AVatar, already have all the parts, so i think i'll run the single cylinder, must of worked to have been on all those trucks. going to try and leave the wishbone un cut.

AVater likes this.
  11. deucemac

deucemac

I converted mine to 1 1/8 F250 double sided wheel cylinders 14 years and 25,000 miles ago and haven't had a problem since. I first used F100 1 1/16 cylinders and they kept seeping no matter what I did to fix it, I even installed new ones. The 1 1/8 cylinders did the trick.