Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dwell Meters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jul 9, 2019.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

My trusty 40 year old dwell meter gave up the ghost. I bought a new Actron multi meter from Summit that has the dwell function. It didn't work right out of the box. Summit replaced it. I have used the new unit twice. Went to check dwell this evening and the SOB won't work. I just replaced the battery less than a month ago. So what are you guys buying for dwell meters?

2. pitman

pitman

Back to top.

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

wraymen likes this.
  4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'll bet. Nobody has a use for them anymore. But I don't frequent garage sales.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just asked my 35 year old son (mortgage lender) if he knew what a dwell meter was, he said "how long someone lives in a house on average?" I think I failed him :(

6. I have a Craftsman that is older than I am

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Nostrebor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. You should try a few. Some of my best finds come from them.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Actron Dwell/Tach/Voltmeter
    Sold by Sears

IMG_0975.jpg

Nostrebor and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

gotta be patient, and folks give them to you.....but it's hard to find one when you need it. I think I have 3 of them now that are still working.

No battery needed to measure dwell or RPM with an old dwell meter. The battery is only needed to measure point resistance.

kbgreen, Montana1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. I have never paid much for my meters, except for the Snap On, which I bought new. My inadvertent collection includes, a really Old Sears machine, two RAC, one Dixco, and one Snap-on, all like new. I have a Peerless Auto analyer, so I don't use the other meters as often anymore.
    I do use the hand held meters to do the tune up on the Bobcat loader, because I hate tearing up the driveway next to the house.
    Bob

11. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Me too !!!!

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  12. yep....one of the better tools my dad gave me was a Sears dwell meter that served me well.....have a Sun I use at the moment - I bought used......

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. lothiandon1940 and Truck64 like this.
  14. Dennis D

Dennis D

Mac tools. Bought it in 1975. Found one at a swap meet about five years ago for 10 bucks and gave it to a friend. D

6-bangertim and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I bought this almost 40 years ago and it still works like a charm, 66153488_2239799469390855_3103465947009122304_n.jpg but I don't use the dwell feature very often anymore...

16. I have a very old Peerless dwell / tach with points resistance function. It works very well, in fact I was using it this evening on my own car.

17. 327Eric

327Eric

I bought my last 2 at a swapmeet for a buck each, have one a friend gave me, and my dad gave me the one he got in the 60s. I have given 2 away so far to help others.

18. Here are my two oldest dwell tachs. Both, are fully functional.
    Bob Old plastic case dwell tach_sm.JPG Sears auto dwell tach_sm.JPG

tb33anda3rd and Deuces like this.
  19. I have the same unit.
    Bob

Black_Sheep likes this.
  20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I have a newer Snap-on, older Snap-on and an even older Craftsman. All seem to do the trick.

21. Deuces

Deuces

The one I have has the sliding magnifier on the screen.... I believe it's a Sears Craftsman... I haven't used it in years.....

22. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first and oldest dwell/tach is an Accurate BT-162 I bought from a magazine add in the early '60s. I see them on Ebay, in fact there are at least two at this time. This meter matches accuracy with my more expensive Sun twin meter.

23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yuppers. I actually have two, just in case one makes that lonely trip to wherever dwell meters go to die. I parted with a dollar for the second one, new in the box.:D

Deuces likes this.
  24. belair

belair

Hawk. Only the best for me! lol It's only 40 years old. Hasn't been used in 20.

irishsteve likes this.
  25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have a couple , the cool one came in this nifty metal box that has Tune Master labeled on the outside . It contains tach/dwell , charge , fuel pump pressure , vacuum gauges and a timing all still work fine as wine . An old time neighbor gave it to me when I was a youngster . I have used it for many years , isn’t strange how things made in America just keep goin and goin . If I remember I’ll take some photos and post

Fordors likes this.
  26. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

The 40 yr old dwell/ tach that quit on me was an Actron. I figured Actron was good stuff. Turns out not so good anymore. I generally steer away from digital stuff. I would like a good old analog gauge with only dwell/ tach function. Looking at Amazon and Fleabay, I don't think there is such a thing available. There are so many brands of the digital models available, who knows what is good and what is not.

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It was. When we see the old school brand names today, like Philco or whatever it's mainly designed to get consumers to bite, but there's no thing other than the name in common with the products of the past. Seems like most "consumer products" are just one huge bait and switch rip off. "Energy Star!" Jokes on us, I guess, though not very funny.

We can still for now pick over the remnants from long ago at a garage sale to find something that actually works, half the stuff at some of the retail outlets doesn't work, and the percentage is probably about the same with the employees for that matter.

Truckdoctor Andy and williebill like this.
  28. I have an old ACTRON handheld with two clips on it (+ -) and I haven't used it in over 40 years I'm guessing. I think it still works, but don't have anything to test it on. :)

Algoma56 likes this.
  29. Isn't it strange how many people used to have decent paying jobs that allowed them to gladly spend a little more to get better quality items? Now they seem embarrassed if they don't chisel the last nickel off of their bill at W*lM*rt. :rolleyes:

Truckdoctor Andy and wraymen like this.
  30. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

Been using this since the early 80's

[​IMG]

bedwards and Deuces like this.