Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 Chevy Master Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 34ChevyMaster, Jul 9, 2019.

1. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

I have a 34 Chevy Master that I just installed 47 1/2 spring kit in, purchased from
    chassis engineering. I thought an S10 rear end would fit since it’s 55” wheel mount to wheel mount.
    Looks like it maybe to short. Has anybody had experience with this car.? It will have a mild small block and probably a glide.
    I am hoping for a Center’s pumpkin or as close to possible.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

welcome to the HAMB!

Might be a good idea to figure out what wheels and tires you plan to run, set them in the fenders so they fit right, and measure between the mounting surfaces. Then you will know for sure what width rear end you need for YOUR car.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The clearance between fender and inner wheel wells on those cars is tiny.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. killbilly

killbilly

Just what 302 GMC said.....you are gonna have to cut out and build new wheel wells if you're gonna get any kind of decent size tire on it .......BTW...Welcome

5. Jokester

Jokester

On my 34 (Standard I think) I gained some width by pulling the fenders out about 2" on each side. Had to pie cut the inside edge and fill the gaps with metal.

.bjb

Attached Files:

6. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Your right, that’s the problem. It’s not about the wheels I want, it’s now what wheels will fit. I put a S10 @ 55” it’s about 2.58 “ from the fender well. So it looks like a reverse wheel, and a small tire unless I widen the fenders. That’s why I was interested if anybody had rear end ideas. Not even sure if the 55” S10 is going to work. I think the standard fenders are the same.
    If anybody knows someone who has one I would appreciate what they used for a rear end.
    Thanks

7. Prot68

Prot68
    from Oklahoma

Might look into a 90's era camaro rear end, that's what's under mine. I run a 235/70/15 tire on an 8 in rim and looks great(opinion!).

8. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Thank you! Do you have a Chevy Master? When you say Camaro do you have a year range I should be looking at? And finally do you remember how wide the rear end is, and what wheel back space you used? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am in northern Illinois and fairly new to the area from California. I don’t know any hot rodders here especially with 34 Masters.

9. I have a '35 Standard (essentially the same car) and it has a Ford 8 inch rear end under it, running stock springs. Everything seems to fit reasonably well back there.

Attached Files:

catdad49 and mgtstumpy like this.
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

how about S-10 4WD rear?

11. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

I was told stock springs were to week. So I bought a Heigts leaf spring kit. I had hear S10 was good very little modifications. I did not hear FWD S10 so I got standard S10.
    Do you remember how long your rear end is (wide wheel face to wheel face. The S10 is 55
    That’s why I am have trouble finding wheels to do a fit check. If I had someone who put one in I could tell how wide I need to go. Right now I can’t take much back spacing.

12. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Yes, I did the S10 but 2 wheel drive I guess there 3” diffference. That’s why trying to find a wheel for fit check is important

13. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Wow nice ride!,, so yours has no room on the inside either. Hate to say it but it gives me a little hope the S10 might work. I was going to go 4 link but decided to get it up and go then change over. I will probably use a cross bar to keep it in place.
    I put on a Heigts front end as was told I needed to box the frame all the way to the X. I am about 80 percent done with that. However the next 7 days it’s going to be 110 with index so I maybe under the air for a few days.
    Thanks to all you guys for info and suggestions, it’s just me I work alone and it’s nice to have a knowledge base.

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

66 67 Chevy 11 , or Maverick most of these are long gone . The Ranger 8.8 is the near 9’’ in correct length and millions are out there

15. primed34

primed34

I've got a two wheel drive S10 under my '34 Master coupe with 235/70 on 9 inch rims. It's close under there. A two wheel drive S10 is 54 inches axle flange to axle flange give or take a fraction. I don't know to post pictures but there's pics of my coupe on Enloe's dad and son thread. I think the wheels have 4 inches of back space. The wheels are old ET five spokes. I did the rear end and wheel deal in 1990, so I might be off a little on the back space.

16. Prot68

Prot68
    from Oklahoma

Sorry been off grid on vacation. Era of camaro from 90's to 2002ish--wheels are 3.5 backspace, not sure on wheel to wheel width. Yes, mine is a master as well.

17. Prot68

Prot68
    from Oklahoma

18. F.Y.I. Standard and master rear fenders do no interchange. I have a 34 Standard, learned that not much at all swaps over between the two. I went a different route being I have the ability to do as I please. I used Chassis Engineering rear spring kit listed for a 34 Ford sedan being they didn't list anything for GM. I mounted up my new tires and wheels like Squirrel mentioned above. I also moved the inside wall of wheel house inboard to make room for more Rubber width. I also built a complete new Chassis but that is a moot point. After making the new tires fit inside the Stock rear fenders I then narrowed a Ford 9" to fit correctly for my needs.

squirrel likes this.
  19. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

That’s the exact rear end I have. Did you use stock springs? I ordered a 2” back space wheel yesterday to see what that does with an 8” wheel. I will buy a 235/70 to put on the wheel for fit check Monday. It would really be nice if that fits.
    I just finished “ boxing” the front back to the x yesterday on to the back next week.
    What engine and trans combo did you use?
    Thanks much for the information greatly appreciated

20. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

I am also using chassis spring kit and mounted on the frame rails. I thought about inboard but I wanted to try and center the wheels in the opening. I got the 47 1/2 spring kit. As real pain to install. Had to cut just enough of rear bumper bracket off to fit and then reinforce like crazy

21. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

You guys rock! I have gotten more information on here then I have received anywhere
    Thanks to all. I plan to use a small block Chevy and a glide. Not a bunch of room for anything.
    Is that what most folks are running in I these?

catdad49 likes this.
  23. Dang, forgot to separate the post from quote. Sorry. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RICH B likes this.
  24. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Nice, I never thought of going inside. I see you have replaced the frame with steel. Mine is still oak but it’s in excellent condition and with some extra bracing I think will be fine.
    I will have an idea if the S10 rear works this week when I get the new test wheel

25. primed34

primed34

I have stock rear springs with some leaves removed. Drive train is 283/350 transmission.

26. Yes, no wood at all. In years past I have seen the results of 2 pre 1935 Chevrolet bad collisions. In both cases none of the people inside of them were still with us to give there side of the story. In today's world of knot head drivers, ridding around in an Apple Box did not appeal to me at all. In this case Henry did a better job. At least now I feel I have a "fair" chance of surviving side impact should it happen.