Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a source for accurate tire pressure gauge, thanks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Just found out this morning that my tire pressure gauge that I thought was accurate may be as much as 5 lbs. off at 35 lbs!! Seems like it loses accuracy incrementally as pressures increase. Checked with a (deemed accurate) tire store gauge at 35 my "trusted" gauge measures 41!!!...I don't mind spending $30-$40 for a good one. Really don't want to spend $100 for sure. Help me out guys, I have know idea where to look. Mine is a round analog gauge that came from Brookstone quite a few years ago. I really don't trust the old style pencil ones. What are your recommendations?......Thanks a bunch, Don.

2. squirrel

squirrel

54vicky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Thanks, Jim.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  4. WB69, alanp561, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to keep an eye on your blood pressure too

6. Thanks, Jason. I was just nearby a Snap-On truck this morning,but didn't get too close. Getting too close can be costly!:eek:

7. Don, I have one of these, it's similar to the Moroso.

[​IMG]

8. its not cheap, but if you use it forever, its worth it. 68 bucks on the snap on website, but I believe its about 45 on the truck.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use a snapon, blue point gage with hose. I also have a moroso 0 to 20 lbs gage.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. RmK57

RmK57

Got the same one. Works great and has a glow in the dark feature if that matters at all.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. .............I can live with $45.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

if you get one, let us know where it was made....I hope it's as good as the 20 year old variety!

13. I made my own. I took the guage from a New Way air valve that supplies the air to a New Way tag Axle on a semi truck. I attached it to one of those long stem air chucks used for inflating the duals on trucks. been using it for decades. ive got another made the same way with a different guage. on occasion I check with both gauges they always read the exact same pressure.

14. Actually I have three of those homebrew tire gauges. two stay in the shop. the other stays in my wrecker. I always carried one guage a air hose and tire plugs when I drove semi trucks. The New Way guage can be recalibrated ive never needed to adjust it.been using it for decades. home made tire guage 005.JPG home made tire guage 002.JPG home made tire guage 004.JPG .

15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do any of these gauges stay on the pressure until released?

17. The Blue Point Guage that I have and put the link up for does. It has a release valve on the side that you push to bring the gauge back to zero.

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, that’s getting up there at $99 Kiwi $ plus shipping.

19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

We use the Blue Point one on our aircraft and have only had to replace a couple over the years due to calibration issues. We have 100+ of the gauges in use worldwide.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We use a Longacre with our race car tires...

21. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Came to say this.
    Have used a 4.5" face gauge for a few years, handy, very easy to read(especially at night) and seems to have stayed accurate.
    Smaller 2" units are ~$30, the 4.5" was over a C-note, dunno what it would cost now.

22. .......I really like that particular feature.

23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use a Milton 572D. I really like it as it is easy to see (digital) and has a bleed button. About $100 from Summit.

Damn- I remember when $100 was a pretty tall car payment. I think it was when I had a $222 house payment in 1973.

24. anyone pays $100 for a tire guage has more money or credit than brains.

jazz1, Elcohaulic and Hnstray like this.
  25. There is an International Standards for Accuracy (ANSI standard)that the best gauges are calibrated to.
    The calibration insures the gauge reads within .1%(or less) accuracy when calibrated to the ANSI B40.1 accuracy standard.
    So if you follow that guide line-you will get a pressure gauge with a measured level of accuracy.

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. I have a Blue Point digital one at work with the flexible hose and dual foot on it for dual wheels. I bought it when TPMS became mandatory on light duty stuff and on cars. I’ve had it 8-10 years, don’t remember what it cost. Doesn’t matter, it keeps comebacks down because of TPMS lights on the dash illuminating.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have a 0-100 psi gauge I took off of an old actylene regulator screwed into a long stem inflator. I checked it against my buddy's Longacre gauge and found it 1 psi low at 36 psi. I'm cheap.

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I buy inexpensive digital tire pressure gauges from Amazon and have one in the glovebox of every vehicle I drive. I have tested them against other shop gauges I have and find them quite accurate. This is the brand I have used for at least a decade and occasionally buy a few more for family and/or friends ‘gifts’

Ray

ECF02715-18DA-4AC9-AFEC-A9EE6F6D6514.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    5window, Old wolf and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Both national manufacturers Schrader and Dill make what are called master gauges, used to check or calibrate other gauges. They look like the Snap On one shown. They also make a calibratable stem type gauge. Any gauge that has been dropped or thrown around is likely to be off.