Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bubbas Delco Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Merlin13, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Merlin13

Merlin13

Hello from Germany!

We just start to finish the engine of my 53 Mercury Monterey.
    We have no idea how this will run?
    This looks like the wrong Kit for 53 flathead?

Finest wishes to all of you

Dirk IMG_1015.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

Do you have the front cover that requires the shaft poking through the gear? Usually they are aluminum and called a Mercury style cover.

Merlin13 likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford had a few different styles of distributors and timing covers for the 8BA '49-'53 series of flatheads. There are cast iron and aluminum examples of each. The big difference is some had a pilot shaft below the gear (the distributor on the left in the photo). If you don't have a timing cover that matches the piloted distributor, you either need a different timing cover or a different distributor. Cutting the pilot off is an option, but you should remember that the piloted distributors have a much smaller support area on the top of the shaft.

See this thread for a comprehensive discussion of this : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/49-53-ford-8ba-flathead-v-8.1081323/#post-12256506

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Merlin13 likes this.
  4. Merlin13

Merlin13

I wrote Jim that our ride is an 53 Mercury Monterey, but I don't know that they used 2 different distributors...holy shit, I wait 2 years for this Kit

5. Maybe send Jim an email. He his however having health issues. Might take a day are so to answer

Merlin13 likes this.
  6. Merlin13

Merlin13

I do this a couple of minutes before at the FB Messenger. Just ask here also because sometimes it's hard to reach him...and we are just at the garage

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the piloted timing covers better because they are usually aluminum and polish up nicely. I've found them on eBay. That might not work for you, being in Germany.

Merlin13 likes this.
  8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are two different distributors for the '49-'53 Fords and Mercs; one is aluminum with an extended shaft, the other is cast iron like yours without the shaft extension. Most aftermarket distributor companies machine the lower housing with the three "steps", like your cast iron housing, and then include an extended shaft, so they can fit the alloy covers with the lower support, or the alloy/iron covers designed for the iron distributor, by simply cutting off the shaft extension. Measure/compare both housings, and if the machined "steps" match the GM from Bubba, just cut off the shaft extension.

Merlin13 likes this.
  9. Merlin13

Merlin13

The space between the drive gear and seating lip is the same.,drop it in position on number one, wire and go.....

Can I use this one?

10. Merlin13

Merlin13

11. Merlin13

Merlin13

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Like Bob said above , however we cut the extended shaft to half factory size so the unit will fit the cast iron case from the factory. We have shipped over 2000 of these in the last 10-12 years and they have all been machined the same with very adjustment or changes over the years. We have made many changes in parts etc and added a matched coil to the kit. Like someone else said above , put it in ,line number one up and drive it.....

Merlin13 likes this.
  13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

14. alchemy

alchemy

The Speedway front cover looks like it will work with your distributor. Very similar to an original piece, except it includes a clamp at the top. That clamp looks handy.

Merlin13 likes this.
  15. Merlin13

Merlin13

Sorry to say, but, coil in my kit is Beru 12V...my Mercury is running on 6V as I told you before

16. [​IMG]

The unit on the left looks a couple inches longer. Doesn't even look like a Chevy distributor?

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Just pick up a six volt one and let me know i will pay for it with pay pal...

Merlin13 likes this.
  18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Early delco machined to fit the flathead, designed to fit ALL the flathead covers........

19. Merlin13

Merlin13

So....what's up? Screenshot_20190723-090302_Messenger.jpeg