Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stuffing a Hemi in a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 9, 2019.

1. A old friend of mine bought a Model A sedan off Craigslist and he has had a Hemi inder his work bench for years.

He has been a ardent Mopar Muscle car guy his whole life but decided recently he wanted to build a Model A but it has to have a Hemi.

Can the stock frame be boxed and plated enough to handle the power of a late 60's Hemi? HRP

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    chryslerfan55, Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

They drag raced them back in the 60’s so yeah,it can be done

3. Photo's would be nice. HRP

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  4. Danny,I HAD A 331 hemi in my 30 Modle A C-dan back in 1960...no extra boxing or anything..Just drove the crap out of it...
    Bob

5. Sorry Danny....photos long lost..

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, that Model A frame is only 90 years old...:rolleyes: Not withstanding, the 'sag' under its own weight (detectable on a level frame table) can be straightened cold, but good, fresh rectangular tube (2" X 4", tapered at front, stepped in rear) is much preferable.
    Custom 'K' or 'X' members can then be fitted to compliment the new power train, rather than 'make do' with the original Henry parameters. (40 H.P. 4 cyl. flathead, with non-synchro 3 speed)
    A new chassis as mentioned can be within the original Model 'A' perimeter specs, but up to the rigors of massive torque, and added weight.
    Self-explanatory, really...

7. Holy Cow, We put a sbc in a Model A without any boxing and that car flex a lot, it was actually scary when you nailed it and let off. HRP

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...And, yes. I had a Model A Coupe I installed my 331" Chrysler hemi in, long bell, McBar adapter, '39 box, frame was boxed from center cross member forward with 10 gauge sheet. Front cross member moved forward 2", everything 'conventional', Mor-Drop axle, '32 spring, split 'bones. 'Torquey,' not 'monsterous'...BUT, stock '52 Chrysler 331. LOW compression, 2 X 4s (Rochesters) and Model 'A' rear.
    Car rode like an 'A-V8' with excessive 'nose-weight'.
    ...And yes, frame flexed. Noticeably. Tendency to lift left front wheel in low gear...LOL

9. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

v8paul’s car from the link I posted. Note the hood side bulge for the hemi. One of my favorite cars on the HAMB!

IronFord, King ford, 54reno and 12 others like this.
  11. He intends to keep the car full fendered. HRP

12. mopacltd

mopacltd

I have a 426 Hemi in my Model A. Stock boxed A frame with no flex or problems and I drive it all over the place. See avitar for picture.

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Ok,look,boxing is good*,but fact is,if "Model A" frame is in great shape{no rust that thinned it out or cracks} and cross's are welded,then it'll hold fine with any carb'd OHV V8 of under about 400hp. Often those that feel bad ,have the front and or rear put in screwed up=It's not the frame making you scary.
    I do see very few "A" frames now days ,that I would not box. Back in the early 60s I worked on a few rods{unboxed} that were fine.
    Now days I'd box for sure. Some rods coming out of big $$$$$ shops are so badly done,the way they mount steering,rear an fronts,just looking at them is scary to me.
    Those that only look at some bad old photos an think"I'm building that "with out any engineering knowhow ! Just repeat mistakes. It's never OK to copy mistakes.

14. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I have friend with 29 roadster with a flathead 8, stock frame. You don't put your arm on the door without getting your arm pinched. That's just driving on a irregular road.

15. That's pretty common with any open roadster, or at least it was true with my old roadster. HRP

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’d be inclined towards a brand new frame with a really good x style crossmember.

If it’s possible to use a modified 32 frame
    on a full fender A then I’d probably go that way.

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

As a kid in the late sixties, I remember the one thing we always checked was the area around the steering box for a bent frame in a Model A that had a OHV v8 in it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. I suggested basically the same thing and going Hiboy style, there is something about a Mopar guy like him is he wants to use as much of the original stuff as possible, a tried telling him a hot rod is different, trying to get him to sell the nice restored running gear and opt for a new well built aftermarket Model A frame, like a SoCal frame. HRP

chryslerfan55 and Blue One like this.
  19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

A few thoughts, first I'm one of those that's not big on the model A on a 32 frame type. It looks ok but I prefer the body down over the frame.

Second, I see 2 ways to go, 1- build a frame from heavier wall tube or 2- plate the original frame and put 6" wide skinnies all the way around the car and let him drive it.

Honestly though with as much torque as that motor puts out with the average 8" wide tires it won't hurt a thing other than the rear tires. Probably be a hand full under full throttle sideways. So if the frame was solid and clean I'd plate it, add and weld in the xmembers and call it good.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

21. 4tford

4tford

I did my hemi 392 40ford frame boxed at front cross member engine mount area back to the cross member and a beefer trans mount/cross member tie point and rear leaf spring mounting area.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, by saying late 60's, do you mean 426 Hemi? Different animal from the earlier ones, but there was a Model A hood with blistered hood sides for sale on here.

HOTRODPRIMER and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

24. Try this on................

25. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Haven't seen that video in about 10 years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. And it's just as fun now as it was 10 years ago.:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. I was told the engine came from a wrecked roadrunner. HRP

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  28. mopacltd

mopacltd

'69 Road Runner is what my Hemi came out of.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. deucemac

deucemac

Just Remeber that no matter what you do to the frame, you will suffer from a hangover! I am running a 354 in my avatar deuce and have the most lovely hangover from those big beautiful heads and valve covers!

King ford and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. This street car Screenshot_20190711-194511_Gallery.jpg has been together for decades and regularly raced

Screenshot_20190711-194527_Gallery.jpg

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.