Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1952 F1 1/2 ton rear end ... is this stock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hank McDonald, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Hank McDonald

Hank McDonald

Hey Guys, need some guidance on the rear end in this picture ... is it standard for the 1952?

Planning on running rebuilt 1995 Ford Mustang 302 with C6 transmission and trying to decide on rear end options.

Guidance appreciated.

Like most of us ... I’m working to a budget so nothing crazy IMG_8805.JPG IMG_8812.JPG IMG_8807.JPG IMG_8808.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Yes, stock rear end . Pretty bullet proof.
    You might find it has low gears.
    If the ratio is not to your liking, it would make better sense to put a 9" from a '57 & later F 100 in it

3. squirrel

squirrel

does it say 44 on the little web below the right side axle tube, on the back?

It's a Dana (Spicer) rear, and you might find that it would work ok if you swapped gears....that rear end was made in for a wide variety of vehicles, for decades, and there is a lot of interchangeability. They did change the spline counts on the pinion and axle shafts, and different gear ratios can require different offset differential carriers, so do your homework if you decide to keep and upgrade it.

4. Looks like a Dana 44. You take the tag and divide it. 47 divided by 12 = 3.91.

Fun with a roller 5.0 motor until you want to go over 60 mph

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019

5. Also, that C6 is going to suck up a lot of horsepower and won’t fit as well. Look for a C4

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Snagged from the Ford Truck Enthusiasts board.

1948 through 1960 Ford F-1 and F-100 Rear Axle (differential) Swaps
    The following was contributed by the 1948 – 1960 Forum users as a group effort.
    After "What IFS will fit my truck?", "What late model rear rear end can I put into my 1948 – 1960 Ford truck ?" seems to be the second most asked question by new participants of the 1948 – 1960 forum. We, the regulars (or old farts) have crafted this article to attempt to answer that question and provide information on all the secondary questions associated with your decision. Credit for the information in this article goes to
    – Various other web sites containing information on the 9" rear end.
    – Various regular contributors to this forum who shall remain nameless to avoid people hounding them
    personally for more details or autographs.

Ford used various rear differentials in their trucks from 1948 through 1960
    (All F-1/F-100s used the 5 X 5 � " bolt pattern)

1948 through 1950 F-1 – Spicer-Dana 41 > [​IMG]
    1948 through 1952 F-2&F-3 – Timken

1951 through 1956 F-100 – Spicer-Dana 44 > [​IMG]
    1953 through 1955 F-250&F-350 – Timken

1956 F-250 – Spicer-Dana 60 > [​IMG]
    1956 F-350 – Timken

1957 and up – 9" Ford > [​IMG]
    That doesn't mean that it didn't get swapped /replaced at one time though

7. squirrel

squirrel

Ford also used the Dana 60 in half ton pickups in the 60s, I have a couple....5 lug bolt pattern, they had a few different varieties of spline count and wheel bearing size. Parts are kind of hard to come by these days.

8. My 66 GMC has a dana 44. 336 rear gears. I have another I removed from a 55 chevy truck that has 308 gears. I don't know if you could put ford axles in it or not?

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You need to run a C4.
    I see zero advantage with a C6 behind a 302 especially in an F1. The C4 will fit over the original crossmember. The original trans mount plus the later C4 can be combined together to bolt it in.
    The C6 is much bigger and most notch or cut out and or drop or fabricate the center section the transmission crossmember.

If I was going to do that ( fab work on the crossmember) I would use an AOD.

That could be either the 44 or the 41. The Ford shop manual shows a case spreader being used to service the ring and pinion. It cations not to "spring the case" when changing or servicing the ring and pinion. Personally that operation is beyond me. If I was going to do a gear change on that gear, I would have a shop do it and one that was familiar with that type.

Most of these were 3.73 to 1. That was pretty common in the V8 trucks. The 3.91 (like yours if the tag is right) was like the second most common.
    Both the 3.73 and 3.91 are good gears especially for the traditional experience.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

it looks like it says 44, not 41

rear.JPG

I think that most guys who work on these don't have a case spreader, like most guys who work on GM rears, 8.8 Fords, etc don't have a case spreader....and yet they seem to work fine....it's not quite the level of rocket surgery that the manual would have you believe it is.

F-ONE, 57 Fargo and Old wolf like this.
  11. My dad had this old ford truck. solid body 6 cyl stick. engine wore out . And I swapped rear chunks with it thinking he would never drive it again. Took his 411 nine inch chunk and reinstalled a 300. And years later he buys this really raggedy 64 international with a 4 cyl stick and a broken rear end housing. its Hyd clutch like his old ford. So he swapped the 4 cyl binder mill and trans into the old ford. and it would not pull LOL. So I had a 56 pickup rear with 390 gars. We put that under it and it helped. I got to looking at the broken international rear. It looked the same as the 56. So I took it apart. 456 no spin. I put that ring and pinion and carrier in the 56 housing. it pulled great. Made popping noises when making a sharp turn.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I once put the 3.08 gears and diff from a Checker cab rear end into a 65 GMC rear end (both had the 44). It worked out nice.

Old wolf likes this.
  13. I never used a case spreader when I worked on those rearends. In fact I never knew you where supposed to? My 55 ford wagon has 427 gears its a 44 also.