Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Buick question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1959Buick, Jul 7, 2019.

1. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

I have a 1959 Buick with an 364 engine. I bought a eclectic fuel pump and I am in process to install the pump. I know I should install a oil pressure switch to be safe. My question is where. The old Buick has an Oil pressure gauge that is not electrical. It is a pressure expansion type. I do not want to touch that thing. Is there another place where I can install the oil pressure switch ??
    Or is there another way to make the pump stop , I do not mean a on and off switch.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this or maybe some ideas.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

You could try an inertia type cut off switch from an EFI Ford that is located in the trunk on those cars.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. belair

belair

Your question(s) is difficult to understand. The fuel pump should be wired to turn on and off with your ignition switch. Are you wanting to install another oil pressure gauge?

4. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

xelecpump04.jpg.pagespeed.ic.d21eD7ngl1.jpg

belair and tb33anda3rd like this.

5. I assume he is trying to get the pump to turn off if he has an accident. I think the guys used to tap into the alternator output but I don't know the details.

Charlie Stephens

6. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

I have to check it. Thanks
    How does it work. I never saw a inertia type before

7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

The Ford inertia switch is generally located on the left rear in the trunk on Fords.
    Tripping the switch cuts power to the pump, and it doesn't have to be a hard hit
    to trip it, a simple non-damaging bump can do it. Simple pushing of the lever
    on the switch resets it. Access to a Ford EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) should show how it's wired.

Texas Webb and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. karl share

karl share

I use an LPG/PROPANE gas safety switch as fitted to most forklifts, it gets its signal from the coil neg terminal. When you first turn on the ignition it runs for 5 sec to prime system, then it stays on as long as the engine is running. As soon as the engine is turned off it cuts power to the pump. So you can have the ignition on and your elec pump will not run.

9. I was going to put a electric fuel pump on my 56 Buick station wagon but ran in to too much trouble. I just installed another original fuel pump and avoided the hassle of the electric fuel pump. Bruce. 003 (8).JPG

10. BJR

BJR

Why go to an electric pump? What was wrong with using an original type mechanical pump?

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An electric pump will let your engine crank more quickly after it's been sitting for a few days. I get instant startups on my Plymouth but I have been unsuccessful in isolating the noise from the pump. It is mounted using rubber isolation mounts and has rubber hose connections. Despite the fact that I used dynamat type products and have heavy upholstery, I can still hear it. It's not overly loud but if I listen, I hear it.

Don't forget to mount the pump near the tank in a place lower than the tank. You will not be happy if you mount it in the front of the vehicle.

12. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

You are correct, there is a little noise. I bought a Edelbrock pump almost no noise. All my old cars have a electric pump. Fist help to start the car. second no va
    You are correct with the noise
    , but I bought a good pump from Edelbrock. So not to bad