Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone identify this engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Pedersen, Jul 7, 2019.

1. My uncle passed away this spring and my cousin and I are in charge of Celestine out his garage and storage unit.

Found this engine - anyone have any idea what it would be?

Attached Files:

2. Besides the obvious upside down, it has design characteristics of a teens era engine to me.

3. He had a Model T and a lot of spare parts, but it didn’t look like a T engine. Could it be an early teens Chevy engine - he had an early Chevy at one point.

Thanks for any help!

4. Need better photo's, turn it over.

Right now it looks like a boat anchor. HRP

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Wow his dad passes and all you get from HRP is it's a boat anchor - geez.....
    Not a Model T motor - the pan is interesting as the second picture with the ribs in the casting....

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

Get a good, clear shot of the cylinder head that is visible in the first photo too.
    One thing that looks odd is the fact I see what appear to be motor mounts cast on the block along with a crankshaft flange but there is no provision for a bell housing.

8. Fordors

Fordors

I think @Mr48chev is on to something, when I searched Chevrolet 490 I found an image of rocker arms that look exactly like the ones on the head in the photo.

9. Squablow

Squablow

A picture of that head would help. '28 Chevy had a one-year-only head with two ports on each side which was a popular swap onto T and A Ford engines with an adapter plate. The head will be very identifiable.

10. Dyce

Dyce

My guess is its for a tractor. With an oil pan like that and the mounts look like they are solid to the frame.

11. Chevrolet 490 engine- it's pre '25 with those ears on either side of the back of the block for the open transmission.

12. Here's a good pic of one:
    [​IMG]

s55mercury66 and RICH B like this.
  13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

By the looks of the first photos it could a Beluga Whale inner workings...

osut362 and 31Dodger like this.