Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1953 F100 Brake Shoes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Jul 7, 2019.

1. So I am running F100 front brakes on my new ride modified to be self adjusting. The new shoes I purchased look a lot thinner brake material wise vs the originals and my pedal feels very different than my roadster with F100 front brakes and the thicker closer to original style F100 shoes.

Wondering where those using this setup get their shoes?

Thanks - sorry for no pics. I can provide them tomorrow if needed ...

2. Are you using new drums,or older drums turned to max. dia.? Their going to react to heat up differently.

3. Also different manufactures will have a different thickness shoe IE: CHINA

I f you can find Wagner's get them it should be a 228 shoe

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Green Sales Cinti ., Oh. , Can get you new OEM shoes . Nothing does not come from China anymore . The good old USA is in a sad state as far as manufacturing is goin of late . It’s really sad , it one time we could support ourselves , today I really wonder if it’s still possible .

5. Thanks for the responses. New drums in both cases - the shoes on my roadster are 7+ years old and have plenty left on them and were original F100 front shoes from '53 (got them from Joblot) and they are still thicker than the new shoes I have on my latest build.

I guess what I am looking for is a little piece of mind that what I have installed is the best there is for my setup and is why I was looking for other sources for F100 shoes vs say Advance or Auto Zone.

6. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I’ve got F100 brakes on my coupe and I got drums and shoes from Napa and the shoes just barely fit with the new drums , I had to use some sandpaper on the shoes just to jam the drum on even with the adjuster all the way in .

seb fontana likes this.
  7. Thank you - I will check them out tomorrow ....

If you have a brand and/or part numbers that would be helpful. I am not sure every NAPA uses the same parts sources ....

Thanks again ....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  8. I bought some wagner shoes for my 39 that are pretty thick. Got them from rock auto. They were pretty snug getting the new drums on.

9. Thanks Jason - Wagner’s were what a I bought for my roadster- will check them out as well .....

10. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

I second the Napa route. I always order '65 F100 shoes and hardware kits when using '53-'56 backing plates and drums. '65 had self adjusters, and assemble on without issue. The shoes are the same from '53-'68ish. The '53-'56 part numbers are not being listed in the newer catalogs or kept up on their website. The only thing you have to do is cut a slot for the adjuster on the one side...I think it's the passenger side.

The last set I did was about a year ago and went together very nicely.

Shoes - TS10A
    Hold Down Kit - 80418
    FL adjuster kit - UP 80691
    FR adjuster kit - UP 80692
    FL Adjuster - UP 80556
    FR Adjuster - UP 80557
    Return Springs - UP 81304
    Adjuster Spring - UP 80509

deuceman32 likes this.
  11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pull the drums, run a couple sharpie lines around the circumference of the shoes. Reinstall drums & apply brakes a half dozen times while driving. Pull the drums & check contact. Since it's impossible to find a shop with equipment to arc shoes, you may have to do some sanding to get full contact.
    What was the reason to use self adjusting parts ? Without a shoe adjusting gauge, it's hard to get an initial adjustment correctly, With manual adjusters, you can do an accurate adjustment in minutes ...

12. Ordered shoes from Advance, Autozone, and NAPA.

So, here’s what a I have installed :
    C282A9F1-909F-4B6A-9211-FF44ADD15332.jpeg
    I have picked up shoes from Advance and Autozone .....
    84040FDA-D355-4042-96B9-32631B674200.jpeg
    Advance shoes are on the left - Wearever - not as thin as what I have but only marginally better. All 4 shoes are chamfered

Autozone shoes are on the right in the above pic and are as thick a shoe as the original shoes. But, only the short bonded shoe is chamfered - I could take care of that so it is not a deal breaker - I have ordered another set since on the one shoe the bonding was messed up. These are Duralast 228s.

I am waiting on NAPA - they will be in Friday.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    deuceman32 likes this.
  13. FiveNdime

FiveNdime

I really thank you for the part numbers. I have been trying to figure this stuff out for a while. Funny thing is that I had 66 bronco stuff figured which was all the same. Same drums and same shoes. They also had the self adjusters in kits for all 4 corners. The Napa Right Rear Part # for the self adjuster kit is UP 80694 and the Left Rear Part # is UP 80693. This would get ya all 4 corners if you picked up the other 2 front kits you have mentioned above. One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that the front is a 2" wide shoe and the rear is a 1-3/4" shoe. Just for reference for future people like me hunting for this stuff.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2022-2-21_19-40-7.png

Rock auto is very often a good source for part numbers even if you use the number elsewhere.

1953 FORD F-100 3.9L 239cid V8 Brake Shoe | RockAuto

My experience across the net is that way too many guys get caught up in the "It
    's old and rare" nonsense rather than they are just parts for the most part.

deuceman32 likes this.
  15. brady1929

brady1929

Very good information, thanks.