Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting whitewalls with rubber coating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mugsy, Jun 14, 2006.

1. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

2. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

I'd think the plastidip would come off pretty easy- it is REALLY hard to get that stuff to stick to anything- if it's a tool handle with crevices and cracks, no prob, but I've applied it to several flat surfaces and it needs tons of prep to stick right. One suggestion I can offer is that white Krylon primer does a pretty good job- lay it on thin. You'll get some tiny spiderwebs, but nothing like the cracking that some people describe. I've found it to be very durable and requires little prep.

3. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Someone makes a white tire paint....see if you can google on it.

4. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

Yeah, I'd think the roof coating might be better, might stick better. Just don't know how it'd look aesthetic wise.

5. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

Are you talking about the guy in Iceland?

6. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

WTF?!?! What guy?!

7. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

8. go.daddy.go

go.daddy.go

O'Reighly Auto Parts offers white tire paint but I don't think it is big enough to do a wide white wall.

9. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

interesting. is this for the c20?

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

11. ratrod0

ratrod0

i used vinyl spray on my back tries been on for 2 years dont spray the front they flex to much

12. 41fastback

41fastback

Think I bought this from JC Whitneys back in the late 60's. Never been
    opened. Still can shake it and hear it, not hardened.

Attached Files:

13. Squablow

Squablow

Brewsir used Krylon Fusion white paint on his tires and said it held up really good for almost two years. I plan to make some two-striped pinners for my '64 Olds with that stuff. Can always touch it up if it comes off or cracks out.

14. REMEMBER BLACKWALLS WERE MADE CUZ THE RUBBER WAS WHITE WHEN FIRST PRODUCED AND THEY ADDED CARBON BLACK TO MAKE IT LAST LONGER...
    SOOOOO ACTUALLY THE BLACKWALL IS MORE RETRO THAN WHITEWALL WHICH WAS FIRST AND THEN BLACWKWALL WAS SECOND THEN WHITE WALL WAS NOSTALGICLY BROUGHT BACK TO BE RETRO AGAIN ON OLDER BRASS ERA CARS TIRES WHICH WERE HARD TO GET TIRE FOR CUZ WHITWALLS WERE POOR QUALITY AT FIRST ..

dunno why other colors have not caught on
    pink walls ....green walls ...brown walls

????white house paint will work for a weekend !!!!!

15. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

Yeah, but not for the Denman blackwalls. For the radials that used to be on it. They have a raised edge about 3 inches out that would make a perfect border. Just thought it'd be nice to put whites on for a change of pace when I felt like it. Even if the white turned out decent though, they're still radials, so I don't know....

16. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

Well if you end up doing it takes some pics for me. Let me know what happens.

17. brewsir

brewsir

Krylon fusion is the way to go. Just sand the letters off your tires with a DA sander,Mask and shoot a few coats of new whitewall on. I will be making a set for my kids 57 chevy in a month or so...guess I need to take some pics!

18. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

What's the Fusion? Is that for rubber and plastic? Before spraying, clean with acetone?

19. brewsir

brewsir

Its formulated to stick well to plastic...works great...I did not clean the tires after sanding and they lasted a couple of years before they really needed touched up. It wasn't my idea...someone on here posted about it years ago...definately a great way to go on the cheap....and with the luck i had with coker radials I will never buy those again....

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

How do you plan to mask that off and keep the lines equidistant from the tire edges and each other? I'd like to see a tech article on that. Sounds like the same technique could be used to spray redlines.

-Dave

21. Bugman

Bugman

Like Squablow and Brewster said, if your going to do paint, Krylon Fusion is the way to go.

22. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

I'd like to see some pics of Krylon-made white walls!

23. brewsir

brewsir

These were after well over a year!

Attached Files:

24. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Back in the 50s you could buy white rubber paint for your tires at Pep Boys, it would yellow after a couple mounth so you would have to give it another coat. Also used white canves paint on my 48 rag top to make it look like I had a new top. We didn't have money to throw around like the kids today do.

25. oldmuleskinner

oldmuleskinner
    from CHICAGO

we did these with fusion paint 2 years ago and they haven't flaked off yet. we sanded and degreased them and used realy light coats with a minute or so in between. good stuff![​IMG]

26. I'm the one who had the original post using Fusion. Here's some pictures of my tires. I've done 3 or 4 sets. They last a long time. I have a long gravel driveway too, the edges tend to get messed up a little because of the gravel, but I just respray them. Basically you find a factory line in the tire and DA sand it smooth to that line. Tape up the tire on that line using fine line tape, 3/4 masking tape, and newspaper, and spray it. Some people have had them peel, but I haven't. I've found that if the tire is mounted on the rim before you paint it, it works out better. Just break the bead on the side your going to paint.

Attached Files:

27. foolonthehill

foolonthehill

old weathered tires are much better for painting than new because they don't
    bleed into petroleum based paint...but the best thing i have found is gesso...
    available at any art supply store...it is used for covering used canvasses...
    petrochemicals don't permeate it because it has a titanium base

28. KKustoms

KKustoms

I used the fusion on my tires, worked great.
    Been on about 4 months now, with lots of driving time on them.

Attached Files:

• 666.JPG
      666.JPG
      File size:
      48.2 KB
      Views:
  29. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Time to get some Krylon.....or Gesso(?)

30. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

i dont have fushion on my tires (portawalls) but i've used krylon on everything and it's bitchin!i even used it on WOOD once when i didnt have any regular paint and it worked well with a coat of sealant on it!if i hadnt already spent the $$ on portawalls i'd have painted em myself!
    creepy