Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects kinmont brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lowride, May 8, 2019.

1. lowride

lowride

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a like a library thread, no talking.

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

5. lowride

lowride

Sorry, I wrote text but somehow erased it. I’m installing this set on a traditional highboy roadster with a blown flathead. I hd herd of but never seen kinmont a before this project. I’m very excited to be the installer. Not my car but very excited none the less.

6. lowride

lowride

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

These aren't mine either, too expensive for me. The car they are going on had a full set in 1954, the owner was lucky to find a NOS set. An old buddy of mine had some on the front of his track roadster in 1950, couldn't make them work, traded them for a set of stock Ford units. 2013-12-19 100912.jpg

kidcampbell71 and classiccarjack like this.
  8. BJR

BJR

Where is the rotor and pads located?

KevKo likes this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's hard to explain, and I don't have the car or the brakes here at present. IMG_2236.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

11. lowride

lowride

The finned backing plate acts as a fixed braking surface and the piece with all the brackets etc acts sort of like a pressure plate. Between them is a ring, about 13”, with friction material on both sides. When the brakes are applied the pressure plate squeezes the ring and it hopefully stops. Like marty said, it’s hard to explain but ingenious when you actually see them.

lurker mick and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I Walden has the repops now for sale

classiccarjack likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Nobody makes repop Kinmonts. Some people make new disk brakes with a cover styled like a Kinmont, but they are nothing like the real thing under the skin.

X38, kidcampbell71 and BigDTexasKid like this.
  14. my understanding is that they work like the clutch in your car. they have a pressure plate, flywheel and a clutch plate. Apply the brakes and the cylinder will compress everything together, akin to releasing the clutch in your car

15. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

How good do the originals work? Are they like drums or disc, feel wise?

16. Gerrys

Gerrys

little info on how they work from speedway.

17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Thanks for the information

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The Walden reproductions are made to look identical to the real deal Kinmonts on the outside, but on the inside is a totally different story. They are a disc brake setup with a custom machined rotor equipped with Wilwood calipers. Fronts are made to be used with the round 1937 to 1941 spindles only. The quality of these brakes look to be absolutely top notch and are priced at $2250 per pair.

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Here's a pic of Kinmonts on a track roadster. This is the car and guy that got me interested in roadster racing. 1947
    His had a soft pedal but felt like a power brake pedal. Still plenty of brakes when they were red hot at the end of a main event.

Gordy Sutherland roadster.png

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  20. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but why go to so much work to just make a fancy cover for normal disc brakes ? Or am I missing something?

21. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Don Blair once told me " Kinmont's work almost as good as standard Ford brakes " !

Just Gary, fauj, deucemac and 8 others like this.
  22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Well, I would say equal. I road raced with Lockheed brakes for several years and never ran out of brakes. I did use Velvet Touch lining though.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. From the 1950 Sacramento Auto show.... kilmont disk books on shelve Sac auto 1950.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Way out of reach for the average hot rodder then . And WAY out of reach for the average hot rodder now ...If they worked so well they probably would have sold more. kinda like those cool Italian blowers.

bowlingball and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

IMO its the look or bragging rights.They(originals) never even worked well back then.

micksmith likes this.
  26. You need to run a Full Set of 4. They work comparably to a Set of 1940 Ford Brakes, but aren’t Self-Energizing. You need to run a Dual Master Cylinder (ex. Corvette Aluminum 1 1/8” Bore ) & a Power Brake Booster. That’s how I’m Engineering my 1933 Ford HIBOY Roadster W/ Auburn Dash, Auburn Gauges, Hal-201a Quick Change Rear End, KInmont Brakes, 1933 Lincoln Grill Shell. P.S. Engineering Alumicraft Sebring S/S Kidney Bean Fronts 16” X 5.0”’Wide Firestone Ribs , Kidney Bean Rear 16” X 6.0” Firestone Diamond Dirt Track Tires. Best Regards Respectfully Dereald Millsap

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

28. brady1929

brady1929

Thanks for the reading material.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  29. nobby

nobby

are the drums handed left and right?

30. Fordors

Fordors

A guy that’s on the HAMB bought a NOS set at the Kane County, Illinois Fairgrounds swap , must have been about 45 years ago. The guys I ran with then always had the same outdoor corner for our swap stuff, as did the guys that the buyer was with. I went inside the exhibits building and there were some car parts but mostly it seemed like antiques, junk, and arts and crafts. I clearly remember one space with an old lady selling quilts and homemade jam and stuff. Her son was with her, he was older, not ancient, but not a kid either. From what I heard later that day he wasn’t selling jam but he did have the Kinmonts in a cardboard box and the HAMB member mystery man bought them for $125 if I remember correctly. Maybe he will come forward and fill in the details better than I did.
    I didn't win the prize that day but I did learn a lesson- Look hard at every swap space, you never know what will pop up.