Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tire dressing , Yes or No

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JD Miller, Jul 6, 2019.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

I used to work at Advance Auto parts and we sold all sorts of that crap. I use Tough Stuff aerosol foam .
    It cleans the tires . That's all I need .

2. 4speed411

4speed411

Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner keeps the whitewalls looking new. IMG_20190413_141308117.jpg

Jet96, Murphy32, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

Clean mine with 409, no dressings, live on a dusty gravel road, it would just be something else to wash off.

4. Fordors

Fordors

@robracer1 put a hole shot on me with his comment to not use brake fluid, and also, I think some of the cleaning products mentioned may work well with steel wheels but might etch aluminum wheels. Caution is the word.
    For me it’s clean tires, but no shine.

robracer1 likes this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Dress a tire up all you want. It still won't have sex with you.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Armour All, Son of a Gun, Tire Foam, whatever I have at the time. I don't have any whitewalls, but do have some vehicles with raised white letter tires, those I clean the white letters with a SOS pad. Anything you put on that helps against UV rays is good. It might be a bit shiney to start with, but in a few days will dull down to a natural black as it soaks in the rubber.

7. I'm a tire dressing geek. I've tried them all and the shiny crap isn't allowed in my little shop. Armor all will turn your black tires brown. No-Touch works ok but leaves a greasy film that attracts dirt/dust. I now use Griot's Garage black satin dressing. The can says "Deep, satin finish-dry touch, no greasy residue, long lasting durability."
    They don't lie...it's good stuff. 34atjimmys6_19.jpg

Jet96, Just Gary, Rolleiflex and 5 others like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

303 or Pledge Dust & Allergen on my newer vehicles. Not shiney and look good to me.

Deuces and Blues4U like this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If I had 4 matching tires I might consider it.

alanp561, RMR&C, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yep, Pledge, like I posted earlier. The stuff works on just about everything on the car, except the windows. Works great as a quick detailer, with less streaking than Meguiars. Works on the chrome or polished SS & aluminum. And it works as a tire dressing too. Great stuff to have around.

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Ok been under a rock for a while, what is 303??

Texas57 likes this.
  13. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

Plus 1 for Pledge. I used to use it on my old Harley when I still rode. It worked great on paint, chrome, and trim, but NOT on tire side walls.

14. No on the shiny goop "dressing" that looks like egg albumin but yes on the stuff that makes the rubber look freshly loved, clean and newish, and lasts longer than a half day on the streets. Well, I mean, you can eat your greens without pepper sauce but why would you want to? :rolleyes:

Tires that have been properly dressed can make a 20k hot rod look like a 40k hot rod. No judges' points for tire patina.

HunterYJ, Deuces and Hombre like this.
  15. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>Ok been under a rock for a while, what is 303??>>>

I think it's like 101 only it's 303. 8^) Jack E/NJ

101.jpg

16. Deuces

Deuces

Label should read 101 X3.... :rolleyes:

17. I use a Griots Mat Tire Shine.. works great... doesn't fling off and doesn't leave gloss shine like most of the products do.

Rolleiflex and Deuces like this.
  18. robracer1

robracer1

B.A. KING google 303 Automotive & Marne protectants it's great stuff. I started to make a list for what I use it for, but would have taken too long.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  19. We used it at the HAMB Drags last year. Went deep into the 10s on worn out slicks. Works lots better than bleach.

Oh that's not what you were talking about is it.

badvolvo and 37hotrod like this.
  20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Tire dressing? Not if it makes 'em shiny. Some of the Armor-all and similar products have made the tires look brown-ish a week later. I've been using NoTouch for a while now with good results but I wipe it off with an old T-shirt to get a natural new tire look with no shine. I'm gonna run down some of that 303 stuff and try that, I like the UV protection.

21. Never tried the 303 protectant on tires......works fantastic on my vinyl tonneau cover and seats though.
    You can find it at marine dealers.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New or old car 303 gets wiped on door seals at least 2 times a year. I bought a gallon of it on Amazon.
    A YouTube of what it can do on tires is remarkable if you can do it and believe it.

Deuces and robracer1 like this.
  23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I use it a few times a year... but never just before going to a cruise or car show... I don't care for the real shiny, but after about a week it looks good to me.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HD makes a nice "product"
    upload_2019-7-8_10-55-29.png
    It cleans but doesn't make the tires shiny or slick (not a good thing on a bike)

25. Muttley

Muttley

I use Turtle Wax 'Wet 'N Black'. After it dries I rub it off and the tires look new/natural.

8742407.jpg

26. badvolvo

badvolvo

Yes, if you count VHT on the contact area. Softening those old pie crusts.

27. big john d

big john d
    from ma

used to use tire black but canot get it anymore areal nice dark black tire paint that lasted a long time think it had carbon tetracloride in it bad stuff

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When my brother bought his new 1958 black Impala in late 1957, it came with white wall tires.
    upload_2019-10-15_3-53-17.png upload_2019-10-15_3-53-29.png
    The normal thing to do was immediately taking those large funky hubcaps off and go racing at Lions Dragstrip. It was fun on those full acceleration runs and filming the Impala all day. The white walls had their share of glory, but the constant curbs did a number on the everyday drives to and from school/job, etc. So, I was given the job of “tire cleaner” until I could start driving.
    upload_2019-10-15_3-55-16.png

It was difficult during the times we had the 58 black Impala with whitewall tires and black rims. The super shiny paint made the whitewall tires look faded. But, when the tires got a little dirty, we had a high power spray washer located just down the street on PCH. That took ALL of the grime off of the tires.

One good thing was that my brother did not want to go to the spray washer all of the time, so he allowed me to drive three blocks to and from to get the spray job done. Then, using the old Westley’s to get the whitewalls back in shape again. That whitewall cleaning lasted several months.

In my brother’s mind, he did not like the look of the white walls at the dragstrip. It looked like a family car borrowed for the day’s racing events. Not, his own version of a hot rod for daily driving as a teenager. So, the whitewalls were reversed (inside whitewalls) and out came the spray paints until we found a color that made the wheels look good while standing around and/or racing. It took a week or so of driving all over So Cal to get the inside facing whitewalls dark and disappear.
    upload_2019-10-15_3-58-4.png

Jnaki

If my mom drove my dad’s big Buick Sedans with those huge whitewall tires, she would come home from shopping and ask me to clean the whitewalls from some accidental curb rash. It was commonly known as difficult parallel parking. That was a good way to earn some cash…after my mom drove the big Buick.
    upload_2019-10-15_4-0-47.png
    (both sides of the Buick whitewall tires always need some cleaning after my mom drove)
    1957 Buick Long Beach

Jnaki

After our blackwall days, the only thing we used were the same spraying from the power washer down the street, plus the normal household cleaners. Later on, when Armor All came out, that took over blackwall cleaning and protection in all of our daily drivers. As we found out, a little goes a long way.

There was no need to spray the whole tire or whole interior surfaces. A little spray and wipe works well. The dreaded gloss shine wiped down to a satin sheen with a clean cloth. The same thing was applied to the vinyl interior surfaces, too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree that tires that shine suck. Like I said I use a WAB tire dressing, it makes the tires look new, but it doesn’t shine

30. blackanblue

blackanblue

Noooo