Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933 Plymouth disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aertex, Feb 9, 2012.

1. aertex

aertex

Who knows what car make model could donate its front disc rotors etc. to fit existing tube axle front end on a '33 Plymouth. Not looking for aftermarket kits at this stage-looking for used components

Alan

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

Not disc but a '59 dodge D100 pickup donated its spindles, backing plates and brakes to my '33 axle. All i had to do was have the kingpin boss on the axle drilled out to the truck size pins. .875 if memory serves.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Buford

Buford

On my '34 Plymouth PE (independant suspension) I used rotors and calipers from a Dodge Demon or Plymouth Duster about 1971 or '72. The outer bearing is the same, and I bored the rotors to accept the '34 inner bearing, and a narrow seal to suit the diameters from a bearing house. This gives you the same 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern. I made up a caliper mounting bracket from 1/2" steel plate that mounts to the spindle through the steering arm using grade 8 fine thread bolts. It worked SLICK!
    Happy motoring, Frank

kidcampbell71 and classiccarjack like this.

4. designs that work

designs that work

I do not think you are going to find a bolt on brake assembly. Lack of bolt on brakes is why the aftermarket kits are offered. Search Dodge Tube axle or Dodge wavy tube axle here on Jalopy Journal.

5. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Rustyhope sells a kit to modifiy your spindles. proably the closes you will come. check him out to see.

6. junkhead57

junkhead57

I have a 33 dodge coupe I used 71 -74 e body rotors,the outer bearing is the same size as yourt axl. The inner bearing is bigger. I made a sleeve to press on to the spindle for the bearing & seal. Now I have mopar disc brakes on my car. I also engineered & made a caliper bracket to bolt onto the stock spindles.

classiccarjack likes this.
  7. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

What did you figure out?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 27' Tudor

27' Tudor

I too am looking for donar parts to convert my 33’ Plymouth front axle to disc brakes