Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS DESMOINES - ROLL CALL - MEET AND GREET

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Jul 2, 2019.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Goodguys Desmoines this coming weekend July 5 -7 at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.

Roll call.....

How about a say hello / meet and greet on Saturday at 1:00 pm at the Administration Building Porch
    ( H-11 on the Map )

For those who have met in the past - stop and say hello / catch up again.
    For those who are new to the HAMB and or have never attended Goodguys Desmoines, please stop and say hello and meet fellow HAMB'rs.

Usually its a 15-30 minute or how ever long you wish to say hello / meet / catch up and shoot the breeze.

Should be 4,000 -5,000 cars and if you have never been to the Iowa State Fairgrounds it's one of the best in the country with lots of trees, wide streets and a lot of food choices.

Click on the PDF MAP Below and the Administration Building is Circled in RED with a Small Blue Arrow

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

See you there Cob.

3. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

I will try to stop and meet some new people ,been going for over 20 years

4. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a hell of an idea! This will be our first trip to Des Moines, looking forward to meeting some Iowa Hambers… especially the one from M"town who wears the dog costume in his avatar.:cool::D

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If I dont get distracted by a tenderloin and fries, I'll be there.

6. I say I'm not going but I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. Weather here has been stormy and rainy the last few days.....what is the DesMoines forecast for this weekend?

7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mid to upper 80's.....
    40% chance of scattered thunderstorms each day- Fri, Sat, Sun
    Another words - normal summer weather.

8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Gone to it for years, rarely miss one. Missed last year, was too sick to attend. If I feel like it, I'm planning to come this year. Never know day to day if I'll feel like walking that much. Hope to meet some of you face to face!
    SPark

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Dan Hay and fam just stopped by on their way. Big thunder and light rain on their tail!

Dan Hay likes this.
  10. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

Looking forward to the show, going Friday and Saturday.

11. killbilly

killbilly

Gonna show up Saturday

12. Are the Goodguys shows experiencing a drop in participation like the NSRA?, I know that Goodguys hosted a event on the same weekend as the NSRA Nats South and both even'ts had a lower than normal turn out.

It could have been the predicted bad weather but these organizations are competing for the same people in my opinion. HRP

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

I haven't been to a GG event since they replaced drag racing with lawn chairs. The only NSRA event I attend is the Nats in Louisville, Kentucky which doesn't appear to have much drop off in attendance. The number of cars registered has been holding at 10,000 plus the last 5-6 years. This year being the 50th Anniversary I would think the attendance will be up.

14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I would guess there was 3200 or so cars there today. Attendance at the Des Moines GG's has been holding steady or maybe slightly growing. But they did open up the cutoff year to something like 1987. I havent see a huge influx of 80's cars yet, but the number of 60's and 70's cars and trucks has exploded. The early tin is greatly outnumbered. I dont like it, but I understand why it is happening.

15. redzula

redzula

Should be at the meet n greet. But stop me if you see me around too. IMG_20190605_205545.jpeg

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dan Hay and Tim like this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Top for the late lookers....

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good to see you fellas again and meet a few new......
    Great show.

redzula and loudbang like this.
  18. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Always good to meet new people...... Meet & greats are always fun.......

loudbang likes this.
  19. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Nice to meet some members face to face. Great idea and had a beautiful day for it! Thanks for having us, hopefully we'll have a car there next year!

SPark

loudbang likes this.
  20. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

Found your car while you were gone. What time did you show up to get parked right on Grand? It's amazing how early that place fills up! I usually get a spot in the grass around the Riley stage, but it's about full back there too even at 7.
    I lost track of time after the burnouts and missed the group meet. Great weather and lots to see!

21. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was great to meet so many of you guy's although I should have taken names. See you all next year!

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sorry I missed the meet and greet!
    We arrived around 10am on Saturday and had a great day hanging out, walking around looking at cars and visiting with folks we don't see often. The Des Moines Goodguys event is one that I won't miss - Such a great setting at the State Fairgrounds.
    @HOTRODPRIMER the attendance seemed equal to or more than the past few years. Over 4000 cars.

redzula likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

and should have taken pics

24. Aw man, totally missed this thread. Maybe next year. And, it's a great event. I come up from Texas mainly to see family, but the Iowa State Fairgrounds is a great venue, better than the Texas Motor Speedway venue in my area. I didn't bring my coupe, but rather my uncle's rent-a-ride for the weekend 79 GMC Stepside street coupe.

25. redzula

redzula

Your uncle did my striping. Saw that truck driving around wondered who was driving it.

Dan Hay likes this.
  26. redzula

redzula

This was my first time going early in the AM been trying for years but something always came up or broke down. We all met at a friend's house at 2 am drove down we were about 100 cars back when we got there.... parked and went to sleep in the car. I thought it was fun I'll probably do it again. Most people just think we're crazy though.

Previous years I'd roll in around 11 am and then find friends and wait for something to open up around them. Still usually end up on Grand just not all day.

27. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I was glad to meet some of you. I found out that my Nash made the front page of saturdays Des Moines paper, with the coupe right behind jt.

redzula likes this.
  28. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

wish I would have seen this sooner, I parked right behind it P7050030.JPG

29. I missed this thread too. Dammit. We were there Friday from about 8:30 -3pm. It was a hot day, like usual. Walked right past the admin building to watch the autocross racing, or whatever they call it.

It was nice they moved the swap meet inside, the shade was a relief from the heat. I managed to avoid dragging more junk home. Saw some interesting project cars for sale at fairly reasonable prices.

Walt
    Outsiders CC