Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another tire question - UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 6, 2019.

1. I bought some new tires a few months ago and cleaned them with greased lightning and all the blue was gone and they looked great, I was looking at the tires yesterday after noon and noticed they looked like I had been driving down a dirt road, so I hosed them off and pulled the car back in the shop.

I went out in the shop about an hour ago and looked at the tires and they looked the same as the day before, the dingy brown film doesn't seem to wipe off, what gives?

Have you ever seen or heard of something like this? HRP

002.JPG

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    3W JOHN likes this.
  2. I would write or call the people who manufacture the product, and ask them if it is alright to use the product to clean tires.
    My experience is, that I would not use a product that was designed to clean wheels, to clean the tires as well. As for the tires, I would want to apply a product designed to protect the tire, just to make certain that you are not losing the oils from the rubber.
    Bob

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

4. I would try brake fluid it will not harm rubber.

5. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I miss the old formula of Westley’s Bleche Wite. I know that doesn’t help you. Mine seem to have a similar dingy film, but I’ve only cleaned them with Comet.

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

It seems today's white walls aren't what they used to be either. I had the same problem on one of my bikes. I tried everything I could think of the get them white. Came to the conclusion they were never white to begin with, just some blue dye over brownish white. With that and the added cost of so called 'whitewalls' I won't do them again.

7. Bob, I have been using greased lightning on blackwalls & whitewalls both bias ply and radials for years and the product has never given me a problem and always makes whitewalls very bright.
    HRP

3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  8. The product I have used to preserve rubber and vinyl for years, was called Amsoil Protectant. I don't know if the product is still sold with the same name, but it was excellent for keeping rubber soft and helped reduce and probably eliminate checking. I have some very old low mileage tires on my beater truck, and they still look great.
    I used Armorall, but didn't like it because it left a film.
    Bob

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It’s not car related , but the same issue . I bought a new pair of Goodyear White Walls for the old Harley . The correct tread pattern and all . 2 months later they are faded a yellowish tan , a restorer saw them at a show and paid me 2x what I purchased them for , because he needed to aged look for a project . It just seems to me as a trickle down effect from CHINA . They are the greatest at stealing products , coping a great looking piece and selling it for less , but it is a piece of Schmidt ! The AK47 is one great example , China’s works produced in the millions , but is it the quality of a Russian piece , noway . The China copies were a really cheap war surplus item , “ carried by a VC and only dropped once .” Sorry , had to vent a bit .

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm using "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers" on my tires, both Diamond Back WW and stock blackwalls after a tip from Fuzzy Knight. Dip in a bucket of water, squeeze out most of the water, scrub lightly, then without hosing off, wipe dry with paper towels. Seems to work very well.

11. HRP,
    I was not familiar with the product, but the reason I made the statement I did, was because I
    have used wheel cleaners where the instructions specifically stated that the product was not to be used on the rubber.
    Rubber compounds have changed so much in recent years, that I can confidently state that I wouldn't know what to expect when using cleaning products them.
    One of the other posters stated that using brake fluid was an option. I have never thought of using it on tires, but have used it for years to soak diaphragms and gaskets from two cycle carbs, to soften them up. This has worked well for me. If I was going to try using brake fluid on a tire, I would want to try it on an old sacrificial tire first, to make certain that it would not soften the tire too much, or that the combination of brake fluid and sunlight would be damaging to the tire.
    Bob

12. I live just a few short miles from a Michelin Tire manufacturing plant in Sandy Springs, South Carolina and know several people that are employed there, I am told that they have started using a new carbon black ingredient in the rubber, that may have some effect on the tires themselves. HRP

3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Like everything else today, the components used in manufacturing change far more frequently than in the past. Sometimes, this is to make the product better, but other times, to save in the manufacturing process. Progress is not always to our benefit.
    Bob

14. catdad49

catdad49

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. That could very well be the problem. Rubber isn't naturally black, carbon black is added for that. I had a set of motorcycle tires years ago that literally turned brown, the explanation I got was they didn't add enough carbon black to the mix when they were made. Didn't seem to affect them otherwise.

Good place for some Tire Dressing... :rolleyes:
    I used to thin the dressing with gas, then wipe it on with a rag rather than painting it on. You didn't get that glossy finish that way.

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our Coker’s look like they came from a neglected 4WD . Took them off the 32 and cleaned one for comparison . Think I resorted to thinners in the end, probably not the best thing to use . Then a light tire dressing to get them back to an even dull black.
    I know its the ozenator stuff oozing out but it still peeves me.
    65F324B3-E39E-45D1-8535-6EC76E7FD189.jpeg EEBF9E10-6F1E-4F58-9017-1B2C236263CD.jpeg

3W JOHN likes this.
  17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

HRP I know that you don’t like tire dressing, but if you can find someone who sells WAB products, try their tire dressing. It is a low sheen dressing, so the tires don’t shine like they do with most tire dressings. The only place that I have found WAB products is at heavy duty truck places.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Went through the brown sidewall deal for years with BFG T/A's.

19. That looks better. HRP

3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Look up "tire blooming". I get it on my truck on one side that faces the sun more.

catdad49, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

^^^ I did. Learned something new. Thanks.

catdad49, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tire dressing = bad
    Tire product = good
    :rolleyes:

23. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always liked to use Pledge furniture wax. Low sheen and repels dust to an extent. Gives everything a nice, even, natural black look. It also seems like it keeps the natural oils in the rubber, they don't turn brown.

24. I use Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. It does not shine and keeps tires black. I put it on liberally and then use a clean rag to remove it and that makes it nice and even. Just looks like new tires.

25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, have you tried naptha ? I wiped it on my tires and they still look good.

HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  26. No John, when I was in the paint business I sold Naphtha and I remember from the MSDS it contained hydrocarbons like coal and petroleum, with the petroleum that should remove any surface contamination, as for the browning, I don't know but it's worth a try. HRP

catdad49 likes this.
  27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Remember when car dealers would use tire paint on tires and rubber floor mats? It does help with UV.

Tri-power37 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

From my experience brake fluid applied to tires will turn white when the tires get wet.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. I sure don't want that, I drive my old beater a lot and they get wet a lot, it's summer time in the South and we get a lot of pop up thunderstorms. HRP

30. lucky ink

lucky ink

I to had the brown look on new rear tires from Coker. I used Meguiars and solved problem so far.:D