Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Removing center caps on trim rings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Casey Riley, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

What is the preferred method for not damaging the beauty rings when taking off dogdish center caps? I have been using a folded newspaper and a brake adjustment tool. There must be a better way.
    [​IMG]

2. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Take the rings off First......................If Trim Rings are behind Caps you could use Narrow Rings that would Clear the Caps.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  3. I've been using one of these for years, won't hurt the trim rings. HRP

hub cap tool.png

302GMC, Deuces, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  4. Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Casey Riley likes this.

5. I worked on the wires on both my old sedan and coupe. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

abe lugo and Deuces like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Good question, the 51 merc trim rings are unlike any others i know of, since they fit behind the caps and depend on the caps to hold them on, but unlike similar caps on an early 50s Chevy, the caps snap over bumps on the rim instead of clips. You can pull a Chevy cap off but a Merc cap has to be pried.

I think making a tool would be best, with a wide flat blade to get behind the cap, and a rubber pad at the fulcrum point that would rest at the lip of the rim instead of against the trim ring.

What works on other cars isn't going to work on the 51 Mercury.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Casey Riley likes this.
  7. Maybe add a slide hammer to the wide flat blade. Wouldn't think it would have to be real big.are heavy

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Make one of these out of a very stiff bondo spreader or something similar. File a taper on the front edge like you would an ax so it slips easily under edge of cap.
    Fold a piece of sheet metal pop riveted in place over one end for hammer contact. Just a
    couple of light taps around the perimeter of cap. No scratches and no dents.
    This worked great on my 40 Ford and 51 Merc. IMG_4985b.jpg IMG_4987b.jpg

9. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Great idea! Sure beats using one of these...... download.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. 20190706_141438.jpg Check out Bob Drake's Wheel Wizard.

Casey Riley likes this.
  11. noboD

noboD

That looks like it would work great for any hubcap.

lothiandon1940 and Casey Riley like this.
  12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-8-11_3-39-7.png
    Hello,

From the time I started driving the 58 Impala, it had black rims with black wall tires.(whitewalls turn inside) But, as racy as that look was/is, it left a lot to be desired. By this time,1959-60, the Impala was used for the tow vehicle on our 1940 Willys Coupe build. So, the simple black rims with a small hubcap, was put on each wheel. My favorite Moon Discs made the Impala a huge Bonneville race car, one look I did not want at the time.

In 1961, I was still deciding what my meager income would do for some nice wheels. My friends already purchased some chrome wheels, but, I wanted American racing mags. The thing was, I could not afford to buy them. So, it was back to the drawing board to see what would look the best on my 58 black Impala.
    upload_2019-8-11_3-41-16.png upload_2019-8-11_3-41-29.png
    When I finally decided on using the small Chevy center hubcaps, I had black rims, then it looked too stark, so I painted the rims, silver. That made it look like a business model. So, I went to the local Chevy dealer to see what trim rings were available. Once I settled on some Chevy slotted trim rings, they looked great on the 58 Impala. Now, there was no need to get mags, or chromed rims.
    upload_2019-8-11_3-42-14.png

Jnaki

But, once the small center hubcaps were on over the trim rings, it was hard to get them off without damaging the trim rings. So, in our HS metal shop class, I made a flat head curved tool that was as long as a foot long hot dog. One of our early tools to be made for a metal shop class grade was a chisel.

Only this time, the chisel head was heat treated, curved, looked like a flathead screwdriver hooked, and made out of a long rod. The rod fit inside of a flexible, rubber tubing and that allowed me to pop off the small center hubcap, before anything scratched or dented the beauty trim rings.
    upload_2019-8-11_3-42-50.png 1962
    Now, those tools are made for anyone, in any situations, like the ones shown on Amazon. Gee, maybe I could have made a killing back in 1960 if I was a market driven person. But, who thinks like that? It was a school project to solve a problem. I got an “A” for that project… and no dents in the hubcap or beauty trim rings.