Register now to get rid of these ads!

has anyone ever dealt with akh wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spicoli, Jun 30, 2006.

1. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

akh wheels sells refabricated old 60's, 70's and i think 80's wheels. now by refurbishing he means polishing aluminum on the front and repaints them. not too hard of a task. well i bought a set of foresight venture indy 500's. 3 of the 4 wheels were original and 1 did not have the casting of the rim on the back of the spokes like the others, the valve stem isin a different location. the guy who owns the company says different plants had different casting guidelines, so some were different even though they were sold by the same company.2 out of the 4 wheels have black spray paint on the back side of the mag from not being masked off very good. and the backside of the mag was not even polished at all. it looked like they wheels were just taken off of a car and the front side was cleaned with wenol.
    my question that i am needing answers to is has anyone else done business with this company and did they incur such problems as i have? do i get another set of wheels from this guy(forgot to mention that he told me how to measure for bolt pattern, 9 o'clock stud to 2 o'clock stud i got 4 1/2 he then told me to add 1/4" so i got 4 3/4", and i ended up with the wrong size wheels so i have to send them back and pay for shipping), or is there another guy that sells retro mags?
    sorry for the lengthly post thanks for any info

zbuickman likes this.
  2. I bought a set of refurbed wheels from AKH, but I live in the same state and picked them up in person. So I got to look at them first. I know others that have dealt with him and no problems, just kinda expensive depending on the wheel. With hard to find old junk, you kinda have to take the goo with the bad. On my wheels, one of them had a small ding in it that actually looked like it was cast that way. He told me about it before I made the long drive over, so I was not surprised. Have you asked him if he will take the bad wheel(s) back? I don't know his return policy. I was pretty persistent in my questioning before I went to pick them up, so I knew what I was getting

3. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

anyone?
    anyone?
    beauler?
    beauler?

4. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

yeah i can return them but i gotta pay for the shipping. it was his fault for telling me how to measure, my fault for trusting him. he has a set of parnelli jones that are the correct size that i need i just am not too sure about getting them after this ordeal. he told me it the price would not be different, except i gotta pay again for more shipping.

5. AKHWheels@fairpoint.net

[email protected]

As always AKHWheels.com state they are facially repolished and repainted were they are facially seen. If the customer wants more they cost more, as time is truly money. We all know this. He was cheap and and so designated. Now he vents??

6. Larry T

Larry T

Hum.........you might have been better off leaving this 3 year old thread buried, instead of bringing it back to the top.
    Larry T

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

8. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

akh sucks, prices are higher than hell.

9. RichG

RichG

What's with this AKH character? Bored? Trying to right three year old arguments? Sheesh, let it go dude, everyone else had...

[​IMG]

10. striper

striper

Not doing yourself any favours here dude.

Now, has anyone seen that thread with the picture of me and the.....umm...........on second thoughts

11. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I'm think I know why they wouldn't take your calls, you should know what you want before you place an order and know what you're suppose to get when you do, if its wrong and all the paper work is done then you know who pays, I think you need to move on man..................:eek:

12. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Not sure bringing up 3 year old post of a complaint is/was a great decision. :rolleyes:

What is even worse Spicoli: Last Activity: 12-30-2006 08:27 AM

13. Mike Ornellas

Mike Ornellas
    from California

I will take the indy 500 wheels off of you if you don't want them. I know this thread is almost 8 years old, but what the hell.

14. Funny thing about the time less internet world.....just like the time space continuiumn theory, or some such shit! :D

A big black hole! :D

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Mike Ornellas

Mike Ornellas
    from California

Yep. You never know who falls into these holes

16. rempfer

rempfer
    from Elma WA

I recently bought a wheel from AKH Wheels in Ellensburg WA. It was supposed to have tested to run true. I just mounted the rim on my hub and clearly it's bent a 1/2" out of true. I tried to call him (Terry Roe) but his "voice mailbox has not been set up." So until I know more, I can only say his claim that the rim runs straight is not reliable.

17. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

"I recently bought a wheel from AKH Wheels in Ellensburg WA. It was supposed to have tested to run true. I just mounted the rim on my hub and clearly it's bent a 1/2" out of true. I tried to call him (Terry Roe) but his "voice mailbox has not been set up." So until I know more, I can only say his claim that the rim runs straight is not reliable."

I had the same issue this summer! He said he spun them on his machine before he sent them. Here's what he said.

"No we do not have wheels come back that are bent. The last Buick guy that thought he had a problem took it to a reputable tire store and found the wheel was truly straight. I personally check every wheel that goes out for true. Please check this for true at another tire dealer before you return. You can return this wheel for a check on our balancer if it runs true on our machine and has the correct date code (noting we write down the date stamps of all wheels we sell). That date tells us if it is our wheel or not. Lastly if the wheel does not run true on my machine as when I first checked it, your tire guy my have bent this wheel installing your tire. If the date matches the invoice and it runs true on my machine sometimes a wheel has a weird bend that will not show up on the balancer and I will replace the wheel in question."

I won't do business with him again.

18. rempfer

rempfer
    from Elma WA

Follow up to this: I took the rim back to him and we could both see the rim was out of true (slight, but visible) by spinning on his jig. He apologized for the problem and replaced the wheel with another which spun perfectly true.

I would have to say that I WOULD do business with him again. He treated me fair and square.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. A.TEAM

A.TEAM

Lesson learned from my dealings with AKH Wheels and Terry Rowe in particular. I contacted AKH Vintage wheels for a set of (4) 1950s Ford 8-lug 16" wheels. Terry Rowe responded to my e-mail stating that they had (5) wheels in stock. Price was quoted at $190.00 per wheel plus $29 each for shipping. I ordered the wheels and upon opening the delivered boxes, I found the eBay receipt from the auction in which AKH sourced the wheels. AKH never had possession of the wheels and did not verify their condition or fitment or correctness from what I requested in my order. AKH simply purchased the wheels from an eBay seller for $59.95 each with free shipping and had the eBay seller ship the wheels directly to me. Once I found the eBay receipt and viewed the online auction, I contacted Terry Rowe to discuss. As soon as I mentioned to Terry I had received an eBay receipt in one of the wheel boxes, he sad "Good day" and hung up on me. I image he was embarrassed that I found out about his scheme to transship these wheels and make a $636.20 profit. I don't have a problem with a business making a profit, that is exactly the point of a business. I do have a problem with AKH Vintage Wheels not inspecting the products they are selling to verify their authenticity. And I do have a problem with a company who has made a $636.20 profit not giving me the time of day when I call to discuss my purchase. Hanging up on a client is never a good business practice. Evidence of the eBay receipt, online auction, and my purchase e-mails have been attached for review. I wouldn't recommend doing business with this company. If you spend a few minutes searching on eBay you will be able to cut out the middle man who doesn't respect your business. Shame on you Terry Rowe!

Attached Files:

swade41 likes this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

For that insult, (Ebay receipt in my lap, at $630 to the bad) I may be accurate in stating I might travel to him and punch him in the nose. "Good DAY???"
    It'd go like this: "Hi..."....ZONK! ...Batman style...

21. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

so if the wheels are not what he represented to you bitch to paypal or your cc company and get your money back like everyone else seems to do....

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"If you spend a few minutes searching on eBay you will be able to cut out the middle man who doesn't respect your business. Shame on you Terry Rowe!"

If you'd have done the legwork/research you'd have been able to buy them yourself for $59.95 each. You only have yourself to blame for paying an astronomical price through a middle man. He essentially acted as your shopping agent and worked in his cut. Sort of like a Wayne Carini.

egads likes this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oof! That's a low blow! Not sure anyone deserves that :cool:

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Holy cow! Wayne Carini looks just like ME, but with blue eyes! He should give his moustache a 'twist' at each end...

25. Wow. This guy lives just down the road from me. Never heard of him.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I didn't mean it in a bad way. I like Wayne and enjoy watching his show. I referred to Wayne as a locator/buying agent. Someone that does the legwork, shopping, bidding on your behalf.

egads likes this.
  27. JusmyO

JusmyO

He may have vintage stuff, but be prepared to be gouged. I need center caps for my 14" mags. They are 4 tab vs 5 which are harder to come by. A set of 4 - 5 tab on ebay is $50. He quoted a set of 4 new - 4 tab from China for $145, ouch. I said I only needed one and he said he had one "new old stock" and a single used one that he would sell for $60 + $8.60 shipping. What I got was the new one that could be used and a damaged, scraped, with pieces broken off, of 2nd one. When confronted he claimed the "new old stock" was worth more than the price I paid for both. see pics. $ 60 for one center cap? Give me a break. I wouldn't have purchased if I knew the 2nd was worthless. He agreed to take them back but I had to pay shipping again (1/2 of what he charged). I did more research shopping and found 4 new 4 tab center caps that fit perfectly for $39.95 at Hardtofindcaps.com. Terry is slippery and will take advantage of you if he can. I'm not usually a blogger but thought I should add to this thread with a recent encounter.
    center caps_03.jpg center caps_06.jpg

swade41 likes this.
  28. Anything new on this guy? He has what I need and although I feel the price is high, if the merchandise is what is advertised I am happy enough ......

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well , complaints from 2006,2014,2017 as well as 2019 that may point you in a different direction.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yes, buyer beware!