Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Master Cylinder Conversion?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fyrffytr1, Jul 6, 2019.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I don't know if this is off topic or not. Please forgive me if it is. Has anyone converted their brake master cylinder from under the floor to the firewall? This is on the 1950 Pontiac I am currently working on. new tires 4.jpg

2. BJR

BJR

Done all the time, go to a junk yard and find the pedals, or buy a complete setup from a vendor.

3. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Thanks, My car has a manual transmission, Can the clutch pedal be made to work as well? What would that take?

4. What are looking to accomplish?
    You can use a wilwood or corvette style dual in the original area with remote reservoirs.
    The reservoirs can be mount on the fire wall.
    If you you don’t mind the look of a master in the firewall, then go with it.
    Make sure the firewall is reinforced and suitable brackets are made to the dash.
    Take a look at later models of your car about 55 and older. The mount area is beefier double steel in that area and there are supports for the pedals to to dash.

I know some people just want to do this conversion then wonder why the fire wall is all wonk-a-do. Because it was never meant to support a Man foot pressing on it all day.

All I’m saying is make sure to reinforce it. And also know if you do a power setup. You have to live with the looks of it.
    There is local Lincoln guy that converted his 54 to power brakes. But he dislikes the look of the booster up there. I told him to just paint it all satin black and it will blend away.

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Your question regarding the clutch has a it depends answer!...ANYTHING can be made to work if your a good fabricator and have a basic understanding of motion ratios and such if you wish to use mechanical linkage...also many GM products of that era us d hydraulic clutch linkage which may be simpler to swap in or adapt to your application...

6. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Thanks for all the replies. The car is in the corner of my shop right now but, I hope to roll it out soon and work on the brakes. I replaced all the shoes, wheel cylinders and hoses and bent new hard lines so all that is done. I replaced the old master cylinder and started to bleed the system when more pressing matters took me away. I guess I could stay with the old master system but I thought I would see how much work would be involved to update it.
    Again, thanks for the help.

7. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

I used a 68’? Mustang dual res master cylinder mounted under the floor (stock location) on my 49’ Chevy. Also did a ft disc brakes conversion. Works great, use rpv’s and your good to go. There’s probably room to squeeze a booster under there if you really wanna go crazy but manual brakes have a nice feel I think.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

How do you check and add fluid to it? And forgive my ignorance but what are RPV.S?

bonneville bones likes this.
  9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

10. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Sorry, residual pressure valve, and I have a little trap door in the floor to check/ fill fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

50 Pontiac with a stick....I'll bet few of them are left..

12. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I dealt with the previous owner for over 10 years before he finally let it go. But, I had to buy two more to get this one. A 51 rust bucket that I stripped some of the interior parts out of and a 50 four door sedan that I am in the process of stripping. But, it does have a running straight 8 and an automatic transmission that goes into gear.

parts car 1.jpg 50 Chieftan.jpg

bonneville bones likes this.