Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another big quake So-Cal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toml24

toml24

Just had another big, big quake So-Cal, 8:25pm Friday. This was big!!!

Stogy likes this.
  2. toml24

toml24

7.1 on the scale!!!!!!!

jnaki and Stogy like this.
  3. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

this is called the shake and bake state

Stogy likes this.
  4. atch

atch

I'll take our rattlesnakes and tornados any day; you all can have your quakes.

Stogy likes this.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

we have rattlesnakes too:D

Stogy likes this.
  6. Atch, I'd rather have the earthquakes. I've been in a few of them. The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake when the section of the Bay Bridge came down along with the double decker freeway in Oakland was a bad one. I was just getting ready to leave work when that one hit. I thought I was getting dizzy until I saw the water splashing out of the toilet. Then the power went out. Headed to the parking lot on that one.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Felt it here in Vegas..

Stogy likes this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Keep your hands and feet inside until the ride comes to a complete stop..!

Revised to 6.9.
    Lasted a long time as compared to the first big one the other day.
    Long, sorta slow roll. Got a big bigger in the middle, than backed off and finally came to a slow stop.

Mike

P.s. - http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Maps/117-35.html

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  9. Jay71

Jay71

Rolled pretty good here in Ventura. Not enough to get me off the couch though. Those folks up in Ridgecrest must be nervous wrecks by now.

Stogy likes this.
  10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Looking around the garage for my life preservers or floaties or whatever:D

11. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Travelled up here to central Ca. felt a little bit of rolling - nothing big enough to get excited about here in Manteca.

12. toml24

toml24

The local TV news anchor had to dive under the table, live on TV. Now revised down to 6.9. This was big!!!

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Hope the weather girl is OK. :)

raven and Stogy like this.
  14. deucemac

deucemac

I was working for Douglas Aircraft at the time. Shook us pretty good too. Somewhat disconcerting watching MD-11s rocking in their fixtures.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopeful Positive Thoughts to those affected.

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

We have a number tornados per year in California.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Grew up in SoCal. Had all of the big ones.
    The first quake that I can remember was in 1963. I was about 7 years old and was laying on the floor watching "Hogan's Hero's". My dad was working nights at the White Freightliner plant in Pomona. That sucker hit and the next thing I knew, I was up and on that couch with my mom screaming my head off. My mom was laughing so hard at me that she almost passed out.

And that Sylmar quake that we had in 1971 or so threw me off of the top bunk of our bunk beds. That was the night that Johnny Carson started the Tonight Show wearing a blow up duck around his waist.

jnaki and Stogy like this.
  18. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Back up on the charts as a 7.1 (from a 71. to a 6.9 and back to a 7.1).

Mike

Stogy likes this.
  19. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

News is saying there could be another big one coming. My girls didn’t like it to much it was a ride they wanted to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  20. How often do the Tornadoes come though your state?. It seems like in our news here it makes it sound as if it's a yearly occurrence. This is in honest question, I'm just wondering if our new is correct.

21. Ziggster

Ziggster

Can't imagine what it is like to experience anything that large. Back in 2010 we had a magnitude 5.0 quake here in the Ottawa region. I'll never forget as we were in a mtg in an office bldg and the whole bldg began swaying back and forth. We had no idea what had just occurred, but collectively started saying was that an earthquake? It was really eerie afterwards with thousands in the streets wondering what had just occurred and not knowing what to do or where to go. We are so unprepared.

22. Didn't feel nuttin at all.

23. You never know. All of these kind of things are impossible to predict. However you can and should prep for whatever is most likely to happen where you are at. Mainly stuff you need like medicine & food in case the supply lines are disrupted. Now when you have a bigger quake than the previous one was. Is the most recent still a after shock and the former a precussor?

24. atch

atch

Oh yes, there are quite a few each year. However a tornado only affects a relatively small area compared to a quake hitting MANY miles in every direction. The Joplin tornado 5-6 years ago did not hit a particularly large area but what it did hit was almost totally developed; i.e., houses, stores, schools, etc. It moved a pretty good sized hospital several inches iirc. The odds of being in a tornado are pretty slim as opposed to the near certainty that along the San Andreas fault you will experience a quake sooner or later.

25. The anchor guy was goin down after her.

grifcarnut likes this.
  26. greybeard360

greybeard360

I was living in Pomona when that 7.1 quake hit Sylmar.... pretty startling to get woke up with your bed skating across the floor !!

27. toml24

toml24

The absolute worst experience is a major earthquake at night with all the sound effects of items being thrown about and being awoke to pitch blackness and not able to see anything but hearing the sound of shifting and falling items. I wouldn't wish that experience to anyone.

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your close, it will be worse. OC by the beach were 2 rollers the second one a little more. I'm sure the folks in Ridgcrest and Trona are a little unhappy. Yes you don't hear about Trona but it was closer to the center. It is where your Borax comes from.

The first thing the TV will show is the inside of a liquor store next will be mobile homes not attached to their stand supports.
    TV interviews from experts will be the "the sky is falling and we are all going to die" next will be its caused by the conservative in the presidency, this time Trump.

I'd rather not live where there are hurricanes or tornados so I'll stay here in SoCal with the nice weather and no bugs.

deucemac, Petejoe and jnaki like this.
  29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Felt the one on Thursday. A nice long roller. Was sitting out on the patio on Friday night and didn't feel a thing. It must have bypassed Riverside.

30. We are still recovering from the one that hit us back in November 7.1. Our highway is like a roller coaster in sections still.
    Vic

Flathead Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.