Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rad hose

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dhethrington, Jul 4, 2019.

1. dhethrington

dhethrington
    from Zeeland Mi

Anyone know what rad hoses would work on a model A with a 283

Thanks

2. rudestude

rudestude

Depends on what radiator you have , do you want universal hoses or smooth factory type hoses, is your thermostat housing hose end gp up or off to the side, kind of "Rad" but it's what you need to know if someone is to help you.
    The picture is for 283 - 327 w/thermostat housing being dressed to the left. 15622625387988683564968243132917.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I assume you are referring to radiator hoses, I can't be much help as far as parts numbers but I can share a hit as to how I find the best fit for each hose.

I went to the local auto parts store and purchased 2 Volkswagon aluminum flexible heater ducts and shaped them to fit exactly where they need to be, then take them back to the parts hose and finf hoses that have the same shape.

They hold their shape and are reusable in the future. HRP

[​IMG]

adam401, Hotrodmyk and egads like this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

My Ford 289 repop aluminum radiator's hoses are like a sbc…
    top inlet is on the left, lower inlet on the right...
    this week I bought a #71040 radiator hose from advance auto …
    cut it to fit the top... darned if the piece I cut off I trimmed to fit the bottom port...
    happy camper.... and $17. 95 gets you both...
    hope it helps...

Beanscoot likes this.

5. Universal type hoses are traditional....

6. squirrel

squirrel

I use universal hoses. Measure the things they have to fit over. Measure the length with a tape measure, mostly following the outside of the curve, with an appropriate radius. See what they have at the parts store.

If I want a molded hose, I get out my old Gates catalog, again looking at the diameters at the ends first, then the general shape, and length info. Or I'll do some search/browse trickery on O'Reilly's web page, there is a way to search for hoses they have in stock, filtered by diameter, and in order of price, and with pictures. hard to explain, hard to do, but it works well.

7. blazedogs

blazedogs

Went through the same thing on my Model A for a lower radiator a very tight fit.. After hrs of trying to find one that would work I went to Menards ,bought a brass plumbing 45 degree fitting , hose clamped a scrap hose to both ends, and presto it works perfect Gene

54vicky likes this.
  8. Slopok

Slopok

Just tell the kid at the parts store what year model A & what year 283, with or without air and they'll put it in the computer and the correct part number will pop right up!:rolleyes:;)

9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Lower hose for 55-57 chevy pass car with 265-283 works well, real short and tight. Try an upper hose for a 70-72 monte carlo...its about 12 feet long and has several bends usualy works and you have leftovers for your next project LOL:D

10. atch

atch

What hrp said; works slick.

egads likes this.
  11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I don’t like to use universal hoses, they tend to put a lot of pressure on the radiator outlets. Bend a clothes hanger and go to the parts store and start looking

12. clem

clem

Or get some correct size stainless steel pipe and use some short radiator hose bends to get what you want.
    3FC264D6-C844-40FB-B951-1CD2983EF044.jpeg

This is how I did the flathead, but gives you the general idea.
    You can buy different angle bends for them also.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    OLDSMAN likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've heard that before but don't believe it much. I've ran bendable universal hoses for years without any problems on many vehicles. I guess if your radiator necks or tanks were real thin you might have a problem, but if they were that thin the radiator probably needed replacing anyway.

14. Upper hose tri 5 V8 lower tri 5 V8.

15. blazedogs

blazedogs

Another issue with SBC in a model A for finding a ( lower radiator hose) that will work... The inside dia of the hose has to be 1 1/2 inches at the radiator and the inside dia of the hose at the water pump has to be 1 3/4 " Gene

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Rambler man Dan likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

They sell a rubber bushing sleeve just for that reason. You'd put the bushing in the 1 3/4" to reduce it to 1 1/2". They make them in several sizes, I've ran them before.

egads likes this.
  17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I just save old rad hoses then cut them up to fit 'and tape them up and find one that shape