Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Things are getting a shaken up over here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Jul 5, 2019.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I’ve lived in California my whole life and have been through a few earth quakes including the north ridge quake so they don’t phase me too much. However; this evening is a first! I was working in the green 57 wagon that is currently supported by jack stands when this last one hit. I wasn’t sure how bad the shaking was going to get but when the wagon started moving I’m jumped out! I pray that everyone stays safe and I hope the Isabella Dam holds up. . [​IMG]

2. Felt pretty strong here in Altadena too. I imagine it was worse for you. Be safe everyone!!

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Good thing its not on cinder blocks:p

4. Felt it in southern nevada.....stay safe out there

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.

5. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Over by the coast in Paso Robles, it rocked and rolled pretty good here. I thought it would have been closer than Ridgecrest.

6. ken bogren

ken bogren

News is saying 7.1 near Ridgecrest.

7. deucemac

deucemac

We moved a little bit here in Tehachapi too. Just felt another one as I write this. It may be an interesting evening.

8. We felt them down here as well. Luckily only gentle rollers so far! Be safe!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Hwy 178 - Kern River - road blocked

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Say a prayer to help all of those effected and thanks for all of those that remained safe .

11. Scary times in Cali. Wishing everyone safety, no injuries and minimal damage.

12. jim snow

jim snow

All the best to the California guys. Snowman

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Sorry to the Ridgecrest folks... On the coast, it was rolling back and forth. We have not felt that strong of an earthquake for quite some time. My wife jumped up and said the house is shaking. She commented that I should look at the water level in my glass cup, as it looked like a rough day in the ocean, swaying back and forth. It was a strong one to say the least.

Years ago, the single pane windows flexed and we thought they were going to snap. This time, we have double pane windows and they are virtually bullet proof. No swaying or flexing and the sliding door is also double pane while securing that wall of the house.

My wife and I have been through some of So Cal's strongest earthquakes. Some of the strongest ones awakening us as our bedroom lanterns from the 60s, rattled the glass panels, the water in Sparklett's bottles sloshed, and the large view windows bowed in and out. They all were a little different, some stronger than others, but being awakened to overhead shaded light fixtures swaying back and forth is a little "shaky."

One year, we were staying in a house with a pool, and the water looked like it was a water spout, getting about two feet up in the air on the sides. That was the Northridge Quake in 1994. These last two 6.4 and 7.1 quakes surprised us as we have not felt ones like these for many years. But, living on the major fault lines that run up and down the state, including one along the coast of So Cal, for all of these years, one has to have priorities. It still is So Cal and despite the recent quake, it is a cool place to live and relax.

Jnaki
    One sight that has always impressed us is the giant crack in the Earth near Mammoth Mountain. It is impressive as to what could happen.
    https://www.visitmammoth.com/trip-ideas/sightseeing-earthquake-fault

The most popular topic of conversation is that if the "BIG ONE" hit, we would be talking about living on an island and our friends living in Riverside would be on the ocean front. (If... the big one actually hit.) That gives everyone a big laugh and lessens the worry for the present time.

One can't fight Mother Nature, but we can all live as peacefully in tune with the surroundings.

31hotrodguy, egads and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. SSTTRRAANNGGGEE.....I didn't feel a thing......

15. Your fortunate the car didn't fall off the jack stands. HRP

31hotrodguy, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

living in Maine we don't feel many quakes... I know of one... felt like a trailer truck driving by...
    can't relate to your massive ground shaking... hope no people or hotrods got hurt...

17. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

Got to the shop this morning 34 ford sedan on a lift but ok it's on the ground now, I believe 178 thru the canyon is open now. In Canebrake halfway between Ridgecrest and Bakersfield at my buddy's machine shop has two complete engines on engine stands upside down, as well as all his booz and hot sauce he makes broken on floor in their house. Ridgecrest is another story no cell service as of this morning. Experts saying it's very rare for a second quake to be stronger than the first so who knows what might happen next. Stay safe out there.

31hotrodguy, deucemac and Deuces like this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

been waiting patiently my whole life for the 7.0 that hits the Hayward Fault. several million people live here along the fault, then we have a few other faults in the area as well. the 1989 quake that made the double deck freeway collapse in Oakland was 70 miles away.

19. I don't think any place is immune from earthquakes. I reside in the lower 11 point River valley. where the river bottom flat land ends there are hills that are rock with a few feet of dirt. funny thing is the two sides would fit each other and they are a mile or two apart. I think a earthquake made big crack in the solid limestone to create the valley. Over at Ravenden Springs the Canyon only fifty feet wide is the same kinda thing. Only its vertical rock walls over a hundred feet high.

20. squirrel

squirrel

You mean there might be something to that wacky tectonic plate theory?

21. Well there was a 3.1 Quake within 50 miles from my corner the same day as the Calif 6.1 ?

Deuces likes this.
  22. toml24

toml24

My contribution to the Scientific community is going to the USGS website and filling out the "Did you feel it?" questionnaire. My data will be commingled with other people's data that will be put in a binder that is then put in a box that is then put in a warehouse that will be burned down by a 8.0 earthquake 50 years from now.

23. 2935ford

2935ford

I was living in SoCal when the Sylmar quake hit back in '71 6.6 if I remember right. I never realized terra firma wasn't firm! Man that thing hit like a freight train and rolled! Jumped out of bed and stood in a doorway. Knocked over a wing and 3 other buildings of the Veterans Hospital. The aftershocks went on for weeks. I was working downtown in a very large 4 story 1890's building. It lost 4 bricks. :(
    Stay safe everyone.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its just 112 miles from Ridgecrest to Bakersfield, I hope Squeek's Caddy is still on its rack !
    Squeeks Caddy.JPG

31hotrodguy and Old wolf like this.
  25. donno

donno

Little bit of shakin' inVegas, again on Friday night. Nuthin compared to Ak in 63 / 64. Been thru a bunch, never got hurt. In Tacoma, saw my buds 62 Vette jumpin up and down in my drive way!!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  26. gschwen

gschwen
    from Hemet

If you were watching the news coverage, the house that was on fire in Ridgecrest had a very HAMBworthy sedan parked out front, and I could swear there were two more old cars barely visible in the garage that was burning.

27. Firstly, I am glad that neither you or your car was harmed, and wish the best for those people that were affected in any way by the 'quake.
    I was in Vancouver during the monster earthquake in 1963. where the epicentre was located in Alaska. We only had unsecured objects hit the floor, but in Anchorage, the one plate dropped 50 ft. The only reason more people weren't harmed, was because the affected area was sparsely populated.
    I used to fly into the Anchorage airport frequently, and you could easily see the fault line. It is also impressive to see the San Andreas fault line from the air.
    Bob

49ratfink and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I was in a motel in Ventura when that one hit.... Telephone poles were swaying like stalks of corn...
    Shook almost two feet of water out of the swimming pool, nearly flooding the parking lot... :eek: :eek:

LynnW

31hotrodguy likes this.
  30. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I live in Western Mass, and have felt 3 quakes in the 50 years in this house, fortunately small with very minimal damage to the area..The 1st one I recall we woke up to the handles on the bedroom dressers rattling, we blamed that on the dammed cat till the news told us otherwise. The 2nd one was without a doubt a quake, again sleeping but 3or4 seconds of somewhat violent shaking no damage tho. 3rd one just barely noticeable. Fault lines are everywhere around the nation and the world. The big one could happen anywhere!!Ralphie

Old wolf likes this.