Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford front brakes 10 x 2 1/4"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Jul 5, 2019.

1. I just picked up a 1960 Ford Ranchero that has been converted from 4 lug 9" brakes to
    5 Lug 10" brakes. The front brakes are 10 x 2 1/4" (Brake shoe #154 and I keep getting the same drum that keep rubbing on backing plate, will not sit flush with the hub. It looks to fit 10 x 2 1/2" brake #169 brake shoe.

From what I have looked up they say the drum fits 10 x 2 1/4" and 10 x 2 1/2". Not so, the 1/4' to 3/8" difference in depth is causing it to hit the backing plate and won't sit flush on on the hub
    The drums are composite not cast.

Anybody had this problem before and can you assist me?
    Thank you in advance.

Soon as I fix it I will post pics as it went straight to shop for some other work.
    I sold my Shoe Box.

2. Machine 3/8" off the lip of the drum.

3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Which drum are you using, a recessed or flat? Rockauto lists a flat 5 lug in the 1960 falcons Durago #bd8831. It fits many years and didn't think a 60 had 5 lug,

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. As I mentioned it was converted from 4 lug 9" to 10" Five lug

5. Im guessing its 1965 Mustang parts which use 154 brakes.Have you used a new drum for one?Im wondering if the builder used Mustang spindles,and hubs,or simply put Mustang hubs on the Falcon spindle which might not be as long.

6. squirrel

squirrel

that BD8831 has a 2.81" wide shoe surface, as if it were made for 2-1/2" wide brake shoes.

Sounds like a fun conundrum, maybe see if you can find some backing plates that will work with a drum you can buy?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Back in the day swap was to use the whole V8 setup out of a later V8 falcon including upper and lower control arms and spindle spindles along with backing plate shoes and drums.
    Still I remember hating to work on some models of Fords in the 70's when I was doing brake and front end work because you couldn't just order parts for a 60 what ever Falcon you had to know six or 8 and every other detail including the paint color to get the right front end parts or brake parts.
    If you haven't already done so compare the old drum to the new drum and figure out how they are different. My guess is just what Hemi deuce suggested. machine enough off the lip of the drum to clear.
    f
    Before I cut the lip on the drum I'd measure the distance from the lip of the backing plate to the spindle and pull the backing plate off and install the drum and measure the distance from the lip to the spindle in the same spot. That will tell you if you can trim the drum lip and make it work.
    Thinking about it you also need the distance of the edge of the shoes to the spindle and the distance of the back of the braking surface of the drum to the spindle to make sure that the shoes aren't going to bottom out in the drum.
    Any brake shop or parts house with a disk brake lathe can cut the drum but some probably won't want to do it.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  8. Cut the center from your old drum make a disk out of it the same diameter as your hub. place it between the hub and new drum for a spacer.

9. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That BD8831 has a flat face where the lugs are, all the others have the lug face raised. That makes the drum wider, it is a floating drum that fits front or rear. You need the backing plate, and drum to play nice together. It's obvious they don't now.
    ( pics are for reference ) ford made many sizes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  10. Problem Solved:
    Thanks for the reply's ,
    The BD8831 was the correct drum (Full Cast)
    The worn out drums were (Composite) causing confusion with the shop it was at.
    I took it out of there and brought it home and fixed it myself.

The only reason it was at a repair shop was because I'm not suppose to be physically extending myself anymore, Docs orders. Sorry Doc, had to do it.