Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Is there an engine you just love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

I also agree with you, here. Unlike the 440 magnum, which was over-rated horsepower wise, Chrysler's ultimate small block was grossly under rated. The reason is supposedly for the same reason the 383 was under rated: Chrysler mgmt feared buyers would not opt for the higher priced 440 if the smaller engines ...on paper...rivaled the stock 440 as regards power output.

Hot Rod dyno'd a stock (but fresh) 340 with X heads and were very surprised to find that it made 385 hp....in stock trim. I was always a huge fan of Chrysler's 340. I simply couldn't choose it as "the best" in this day and age. The high cost of building a decent 340 (let alone finding one that hasn't been raced to death) knocks it from first place, IMHO. Especially considering that BB mopar fans now have a dizzying array of high flowing, cheap, aluminum aftermarket heads available. Something that simply was not the case 20 years ago.

caseywheels, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a really good one!

mad mikey, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  3. I would sure love to get my hands on the cast headers. Just sayin'.
    Bob

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. She's so fine, my J79. I have air time with them, (F-104) and when that burner lit, you knew you were going flying.
    Here is my son's favourite engine that we built Robins_engine_assembly8.JPG , a SB with Webers.
    Bob

enloe, Tri-power37, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

L-88 427s dynoed @ 562 hp right out of the box.. Give or take a pony er 2.... :cool:

mad mikey, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  6. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Those gear drives are crazy, would love hear one run. I broke the cam chain on mine in 2016 on the PowerTour, bent 8 valves $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

427 FE Hemi (Mickey Thompson)
    427 FE Hemi.jpg

Judson supercharged Ardun
    61.jpg

8. Running one of those in my Model T Modified

9. Yes, there is an engine I just love - but it's the love that dare not speak its name; v621603.jpg

j-jock and Deuces like this.
  10. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

11. A Boner

A Boner

The flathead lost popularity because of the SBC and now the SBC is losing popularity because of the LS.
    Guess my choice is the "old" SBC!

Deuces, loudbang, Tooth and 1 other person like this.
  12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There's an old magazine road test of a 1965 427-8V Galaxie, might be HotRod, and when they took it to the strip they uncapped those big cast iron headers. Their comment was, "the sound producing capabilities of this engine is unmatched". True enough, the Hammys have their own sound, but a big FE with a lotta squeeze and a lotta stick is THE boomer. The hardtop is an original 500XL 406-6V car, the Evil Twin, now running a decent 427-8V, C6 w/ 4K converter and 5.14 gears- kinda froggy. Other one is the Croozer Twin Croozer Twin.jpg

Evil Norcal2.jpg Evil Twin.jpg

enloe, Elcohaulic, charleyw and 3 others like this.
  13. Y blocks are neato

14. loudbang

loudbang

You got that right :)

Deuces likes this.
  15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Love? No. Admire?? Packard V-12.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

(1)The sound and SMELL of any Corvair engine - my first car was a corvair corsa - multi carbed 140 hp engine.(2) Any multi carbed small block Chevy. (3) The FE engine in my Edsel it runs so smooth and is powerful like a gorilla.

61SuperMonza, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That was an awesome feature between the two engines.

I've had a 383 B Mopar, a 390 Ford FE, and a 394 Olds, all with automatics and factory 4 barrels. The 383 is a man among boys. Torque and RPM, brutally strong, incredibly durable... just a great engine.

loudbang and das858 like this.
  18. Gotta say, I love the warmed up 292 Chevy 6 in my 63 Biscayne sedan. bbBBRAAAAAPPPPPs like a hot 6 oughta, pulls great (and in excess of my interest in keeping the loud pedal down), and surprises most folks when they see it.

rmorris, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  19. 1ton

1ton

For me, it is undoubtedly the 3.5 horse Briggs & Stratton. We used our dads tools to tear them down and put them back together. Ran them on our minibikes and go karts. A penny in the centrifugal clutch when the pull start rope broke. A gallon of gas got us a full day of adventure.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Chevy 194,230,250. Enjoy all aspects of working on them. Great engines. Everything is right there to get at.

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

"six in a row , can go " :)

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't know who owns this but I saw it at the Nats......notice the tire wear. What a Kool driver ! Arrias 1.jpg

enloe, j-jock, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  23. I am a sucker for small block Chevy's, though specifically 327's. Almost every rig in the classic fleet in the family has a 327. Love having a motor that can handle higher RPM than alot of other motors right out of the box. Plus from a traditional sense its the biggest small block that still can run all the early dress up parts.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Favorite Of Mine...1957 Cadillac... 202161_fc087263e5_low_res.jpg

mcsfabrication, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  25. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

A few years ago I had the 406 car out, and at the time it had the 14:1 427 in it, .660 Delong cam, Milodon gear drive, cross-ram with two 650's, and the 3" exhaust with straight-thru truck resonators- it ain't real silent, and with a solid left engine mount, the whole car shakes at idle. So I'm stopped at a red light coming into town, and a Rabbit convertible pulls up behind me. After a few seconds, this incredible chick jumps out, perfect Farah Fawcett racehorse legs in very short side-slit shorts, short tank top, great tan, and comes up and starts waving her arms and yelling at me- "DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S FAIR TO SUBJECT OTHER PEOPLE TO THE NOISE OF THIS CAR???" She was so mad she never noticed that "The Girls" had escaped from her skimpy top and were helping give me hell...
    Speechless, I was...

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Did she even notice you weren't looking her in the eye......

enloe, Baumi, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like a LOT of guys have already said, I'm primarily a Chevrolet guy; mostly SBC's but I have dabbled in the BBC's also, and I'm currently putting together a 468 roller-cammed BBC for the OT Bracket Race/Sleeper Car. When I was in high school, and the stick shift, SBF, Falcons and Mustangs, with stock exhaust manifolds, full length dual exhaust to the rear bumper, and glass pack mufflers went by, that was a unique sound only to themselves, and it was sweet. I'd really like to have a W-motor, or a 500 CID Caddy with the earlier, better heads for my truck. But, anything that runs on gasoline can easily get my attention, and that includes the hit or miss engines, and tractors, at farm shows.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

enloe, chevy57dude, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  28. Butch, you summed it up perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  29. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Hudson 308 7X Flathead 6 with a 6 speed double OD and a 3.90 rear.......peppy in town and set up for the highway.

30. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

Tough one. I always been a Pontiac Man. My cars are Pontiac powered. But I made my living working on Ford 300 cid engines. Without the Ford 300 I could not have the Pontiac