Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration For hambers that like machining: Riser Block Video.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart

I know some hambers like machining so I hope you don't mind me posting this.

I just posted up a video in a new format for me. This is just short snips from hours of videos cut together in quick succession to show how I made a riser block for my milling machine from a very large but not ideally shaped piece of steel. The action shots were distilled down to less than 6 minutes from hours of video.

I hope you might like it, and any feedback is welcome, especially on whether the new format works for you. I'll also add my general channel address so you can check out all my offerings.

Mart.

Martsrods channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcePXyhzVro40j-vjjZShg

Riser Block video:

oldengine, milwscruffy, plan9 and 4 others like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's some nice work Mart, and I like it, enjoyed your video, even though I can't use this method to make a riser block for my Bridgeport, as it's all on dovetails.:D

3. belair

belair

Wow. I enjoyed that, even if I didn't understand it until the end. Thanks for going to the trouble to post it. Turning a cube into a cylinder is a lot more involved than I knew. Seriously. Thanks.

4. Mart

Mart

Thanks guys. I'm a bit annoyed as my editing software cut some bits out (user error) and I didn't notice until after I processed and posted it. I know how to avoid that now. I'm also looking at using a different camera so the videos will be in the 16:9 aspect ratio used by youtube. I have had lots of constructive feedback from other forums, so hope to make future productions (if that isn't too grand a word) a bit slicker.
    Mart.

5. Mart nice video and excuse this question if it’s a little obvious but are you repairing your mill or is this just to increase the size of the part you can make?
    I’m taking a class in mill operation in the fall at a local community college.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Man, you made a lot of chips with that one! Nice video, thanks for sharing!

I love your videos, please keep them coming.

7. Mart

Mart

No, not a repair, just opening up the envelope of size of component that can be worked on. self tightening drilling chucks are quite long and can eat up a lot of height. It might effect rigidity. I haven't used the machine in anger since fitting it. Good luck on the course, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I served an apprenticeship at 16 and machine shop training formed part of it. Good times.