Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. WCreighton

WCreighton

Looking good, keep at it.

Will

loudbang likes this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Sealed and curing. Gonna give it a full day. Blow the dust off and shoot red. And pray. I got a few spots were there was some over spray- door window/ underside belt line. I am probobly gonna sand with 600/800 and not cut through/ blow it off and shoot it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    loudbang and enloe like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Progress :)

1947knuck and enloe like this.
  4. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep. I still think I am going to use the grey super fine scotch bright again before I lay down the color to promise it holds. Prep wipe it and shoot.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Laid the paint down today. God smiled and all is good. I got greedy and pushed the limit on my pass door. Got a run did the tape trick and removed the largest part. Let it flash and shot another coat. Hope I can cut/buff.( get me one of those little files/nibblers)If it’s not possible I’ll just sand the door only and re shoot. I would really prefer it be totally gone. Still a great day.
    Mickey still says clear it. He has a point. It’s paid for and on the way so.
    Took sometime to realize how great it is to be an American and be free to attempt/fail /succeed /and go to the next step. Seems so simple but you have to remember there are a lot of places where that is not allowed.God Bless America. Hope everyone had great 4th.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. WCreighton

WCreighton

Looks great, beautiful color. Happy 4th!

Will

7. loudbang

loudbang

Looks GREAT.

8. raven

raven

Will you just look at that shiny paint.
    Nice job.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks Guys. All of my other stuff came in today / clear etc.- got me one of those run razors . Got to practice on some stuff to get the hang of it. It looks very simple( videos make it look to simple).We will see. Got to give a shout out to Highlander. He kept me straight on some stuff - got straight to the point. Lets hope This clear goes the same.
    Thanks guys.

10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Wet sanded fenders and dash. 800 grit. All actually slicked out. Started on the front cap. The worst part on the passenger fender almost sanded clean and slick. Cut through the paint to the sealer in one place. I’ll just recoat that side at the seam line over to the edge if the rest of the cap wet sands slick. There was some fuzz/orange peel on the bottom aid the belt line.
    Also tested a splash panel from a 56 Chevy to see how my clear would lay down. (Comp orange cause I had it ) Just scuffed it/wiped it down shot it. Slick as glass

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    enloe and Blown Red Ram like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Watch that spot you cut through when you buff it. It seems like a likely spot to buff through also.

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

True. I am probobly going to shoot an extra coat there for that reason. Let it cure. 800 wet wipe and shoot.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Completed the wet sand on the cap. Got rid of all but a few places with orange peel. 1000 grit doesn’t cut much off but that’s a good thing.
    Got to fix the door( run) and scuff /prepare for clear.
    Figure I’ll recoat that pass fender / the spot on belt line also on the same side on the front cap /and the door spot. Only to scuff and sand again. Then clear. I guess the plus is as long as I get that to lay down I don’t have to worry as much about overspray and lines Because i Have to wet sand anyway.

Attached Files:

14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Did a final on the cap. Started on the door. Used the run razor and got the nibs /run ridges down as far as I could from where I used the tape to get rid of the run. Created about 35 pox marks and even though it saved the run it looked bad.
    I wet sanded 800 and 1000. And then used the old match /cardboard strip trick to fill them in.
    I mixed up about 3teaspoons of paint and put plenty of hardener in. Gonna give it a day to cook and cure. At this temp it shouldn’t take long. I’ll wet sand again and pray. The hope since I will scuff everything anyway is that it will blend before I clear it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

ok - no pics but I did get the run and pox marks at least level and smooth with the rest of the door.I am going to scuff the rest of the car with gray scotch bright/ 800 and shoot the clear. Gonna shoot theleft front fender on the front cap over in the AM There are some places that are not perfect ,but I have to accept that this is a race car. It will get far worse treatment before its over-So as Mick said make it shine and slick and get on with it quit trying to make it a silk purse when its really a nylon sheet- AT least it's not a sow's ear. It will be as nice as any- and probobly better than most. I get carried away some times - got to remember - its a race car

16. loudbang

loudbang

With working windows LOL :)

Atwater Mike and 1947knuck like this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yes. And they have been in and out 4 times to prove it. Lol
    I got the front cap shot today. Did what I wanted. Now I’ll let it cure a full day and scuff it down so its as smooth and dull as the rest. It seems funny that I wanted it so slick and shinny only to wet sand with grey and 800. Then clear. I did this a few times many years ago. It’s almost never done now. I originally wasn’t going to clear.
    Did a test panel and decided what the heck.
    So tomorrow I will finish scuffing/sanding the rest of the car. Kinda hurts me to scuff that slick shinny away but the clearhas always amplified it in the past. Let’s hope lol

Attached Files:

18. raven

raven

Looks good
    r

19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Today’s work. Not real exciting. Only so many ways to use scotch bright and800-1000 grit. Sand floor Daniel Son.

Attached Files:

32SEDAN, loudbang and enloe like this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Down to one fender on the front cap. Then it’s a bath and touch up the masking and clear. I hope. My ramp truck didn’t want to crank today. It’s gotta leave the shop before I can spray. Think it is the dual tank selector valve. What I get for running it out before flipping the switch. Lol

Attached Files:

21. raven

raven

Wax on, wax off...
    t

loudbang likes this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

How is the scotchbrite on the fingers?

1947knuck likes this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I put it on my sanding block and finger block. Works like a dream. Let’s you put even pressure and you can use your air nozzle to clean it out so it sands true. No finger lines /palm lines that way either. And the run on the door did wet sand away. Let’s hope the clear finishes the hiding affect.
    Now if I can figure out my ramp truck. Either the dual fuel selector valve or pumps. All it can be. I’ll get there.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Wet sanding is complete.
    Now if I can get the ramp truck back up and going. Ordered two pumps selector valve and filters today.
    Wash and shoot.

Attached Files:

25. loudbang

loudbang

Got this one yet?

1965 NHRA Nationals Indianapolis. The Hurst Gasser Passer Anglia waits in the tech inspection line followed by Ohio George Montgomery's '33 Willys coupe.

1965 NHRA Nationals - Indianapolis. The Hurst Ga.jpg

mad mechanic, 1947knuck and enloe like this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thats Cool. And the good news is all the parts came in so the ramp truck is fixed. (I am beginning to hate anything with modern electronic fuel injection). SO this means that we will finally be clearing Thursday. I will not lie - its been a frustrating 3 days. I am gonna take a day and just remember how good things have been for us this year. Gotta keep it in perspective.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Shot clear today. Went well. Will clear front cap fenders and dash tomorrow. Anyone that knows me knows that I hate shoes. Designed some that are super light and give you a real feel for the floor. Think I am gonna apply for a patent. Lol

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

LOL 5555 :D

29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

3 coats of clear on the cap, rear fenders, and dash. Unmasked the car. I have one spot that I think I will cut and buff.
    Gonna let it cure a couple /three day. I have a lot of time in this but at least it is in house. I now Have to learn a new skill cut and buff. Jokers and Thieves. Lol

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Back in the day (yea I'm old LOL) we very seldom sanded fresh paint before buffing. Just buffed with different wool pads and compounds. MAYBE that is why some people can tell that the newfangled paint has been used it makes for a "different LOOK".

Maybe a test buff in some hidden corner to see how it looks before sanding the new paint is in order.