Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need advice on 47 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bowtie65, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Bowtie65

Bowtie65

I'm a long term lurker to this page, but I've never really felt the need to post until now. I'm on the fence with my 47 Tudor sedan, and I need some advice. It came with the 226 G straight six which was seized when I got it. I pulled it apart, and the internals are decent, but the block is cracked and the water jackets full of mud. This engine was obviously not stored properly, and I'm sure if I dive deeper I'll find worse cracks.

Combine the above with the impossibility of finding some parts (distributor caps for instance) and I'm leaning toward engine swap. My first choice is the 300 because it's still a 6 and because it's dead reliable. I've heard some people say it's too long, though, while others say it will fit if the radiator is moved back a bit.

Anyone swap a 300 into a fat fender car? What alternatives should I look at? My interior is original and in incredible condition, so I'd prefer to keep everything mild and somewhat period. Not going to be a hot rod. I am also unwilling to run anything but a 3 on the tree. Engine must be Ford.

2. The 300 six is a physically large motor, you can shoehorn it in but it may require more than a few changes. If it were me, I'd swap in a bone-stock 302 (think Ford Explorer minus the EFI) and get an adaptor to mate it with the stock running gear. The 302 isn't a torque monster, so driven sanely you shouldn't have any issue with the remainder of the stock parts. If you really want a six, look at the 250 Ford six. It's considerably more compact compared to the 300 although may not be as easy to find these days. Most have the same bellhousing pattern as the 302, so there's no exotic parts needed.

lothiandon1940, Bowtie65 and Hnstray like this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Easy swaps....
    Another 226
    Flathead V8 (recomended) either the 59A style or 8BA/8RT with the truck adapter bell. These are pretty much bolt ins...

Next easy swap.....
    Small block Chevrolet with an adapter bell. Early V8 Mounts are easily available as is the adapter bell so you can still use your transmission. The SBC uses ram horns and that can help with steering clearance.

Not so easy or more costly.....
    Small block Ford. Adapter bells are harder to find and are thrice costly than the Chevy or other period OHV. Watch out! Some of the E bay adapters are for 5 bolt blocks.....1962-1965. Small Fords are long and narrow. Also the exhaust layout can be problematic with steering gears.
    If you go with a Small Ford most likely you will need to change the transmission. This will mean a whole new clutch set up. One the reasons for using an adapter is retaining the original twist clutch. When you change transmissions you'll have to figure out a clutch.
    The 3.03 3 speed is a good candidate and was Column shift. This still leaves the clutch. A hydro clutch may be an option like the Ansen set up with swing pedals. Here again the exhaust on a Small Ford may pose a problem.

The Ford 300...
    It is long but is actually, not that much longer than a Small Ford. Exhaust is not an issue. Since it shares the same bell pattern as the Small Ford, the transmission info above is the same. You should be able to mount one with a mechanical fan although you may have to trim the fan spacer. You can use a 390 or FE tube (engine swap) crossmember for trucks as this will work with the 300.

Personally I would go with a flathead V8 or find another 226 H or G engine. The 226s are not that hard to find, some in very good condition. Many folks will pull these engines to hot rod a car so look around.
    A flathead is not really that expensive to build. (If you have a good block) The true cost is all the goodies.

4. Bowtie65

Bowtie65

I like the idea of the 250, and they can be found around here 1,000 times easier than a 226G. I've been looking for another G for six months and haven't seen one. Maybe it's a KS thing.

The flathead V8 is tempting, but if I'm going to depart from original shouldn't it be for an upgrade? Also, driving a car badged as a Six but secretly sporting an 8 gives my OCD side fits!

F-ONE you brought up a good point with the clutch. I honestly hadn't given that much thought. I figured the clutch and shifting linkage would be fairly easy to modify, but that twist clutch is a bit goofy.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Whatever the swap your miles ahead by having started with a straight six car. That front yoke, radiator and radiator shrouding is all further forward and gives way more room than a v8 car. Sbc is the easiest route but I’d kinda like to see a 300 in there!

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Try looking for a 7HA 226. It's basically the same if not the same engine. Look on the Ford truck sites as many pull these for the new wonder engines and front ends. I have seen a lot of 226s pulled and probably scrapped, some in restored condition.:rolleyes:
    I have had zero luck on the FB groups trying to find parts. Those guys would rather scrap stuff than sell it.

I love Fords and Ford engines. With that said trying to put a post 1954 Ford V8 Engine in an early V8 Era Car (1932-53) is a pain in the ass. Better fits are...
    SBC
    Early OHV Cadillac 331-390
    Olds Rocket
    A 221-302 can fit but exhausts can be problematic.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    There is probably a header or factory manifold that will clear since 231Gazillion manifolds are available for this engine. That may not be a good thing as you could swap mainfolds till the cows come home trying to find the right one.o_O

The 300 could be a pleasant exception. What you need to make that happen is this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ford small block engine to early Ford transmission adapter kit
    Transmission adapter, engine adapter
    This kit will allow you to bolt any Ford engine ( 240 / 300 straight 6, 250 straight 6, 289, 302, 351 W, 351 C engines) with a small block (6 bolt) bolt pattern to any 1948 & older style Ford 3 or 4 speed transmission.
    This kit utilizes the stock Ford small block 164 tooth stick flywheel and starter. We can supply ALL components associated with this including the flywheel and starter, but since these engines came with several different balance weights on them, you MUST know which weight to order. The straight 6 engines used neutral balance flywheels, the V8's used 28 OZ or 50 OZ balance flywheels. The 157 tooth flywheels WILL NOT work with this kit.

Ford FE Series Big Block Motor Mount
    332 Ford FE V8, 352 Ford FE V8, 390 Ford FE V8, 406 Ford FE V8, 427 Ford FE V8, 428 Ford FE V8

This mount works in Ford trucks to mount the 240/300. Your application may be different in that 47. You may be better off making your own mounts but this should work.....Research it.

Fitting in the car.....
    The 7HA or G226 should already have the radiator in the most forward position. You may can move it forward some more.
    This is a 302 in an F1
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr

Since the radiator is in the V8 position I have plenty of room to move forward. F1s and Ford cars should be similar. the 49 Sedan I had was a six car and it had two radiator positions. The 300 is roughly 36" from bell to fan. It is possible to reduce that by an inch or so by having the fan spacer shaved down.
    The six cylinder location will allow me to put a 300 in my F1 and with the mechanical fan as is but it will be tight.
    So...a 300 may fit your car with no or very little modification.
    I have no idea how the front suspension and oil pan clearance will be on your Ford Car....That's something for you to find out.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Mac VP

Mac VP

Your stock G series six cylinder engine was combined with a unique gearbox case on the three speed transmission. Most engine/transmission adapters would be made to adapt to Ford’s V8 three speed gearbox. So, if you plan to keep the stock three speed transmission, get one of the 1940-48 V8 gearbox cases and swap your six cylinder gearset into it. The V8 cases are a dime a dozen and I’ve got piles of them if you need one.

The 59A flathead V8 would be the easiest engine swap and practically any parts you need ( including speed goodies) are available.

8. What about using the later 223 Ford six? I don’t know about bellhousings or bolt patterns, I’m a Chevy guy, but my good Buddy has a 223 in a 55 Customline and it’s no screamer, but moves down the road just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

If your leaning toward the 250 and ever decide to upgrade it the Aussies have everything from mild to wild for this engine and the 200 also.

Bowtie65 likes this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

What's your plans for the car, something to putt around in or something to drive coast to coast? If it were me I would buy a chassis engendering small block Chevy kit and a rear leaf spring kit. I know you can do it because I did it in 1988 in my folks side yard on the dirt when I was 20 years old.

11. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Given the variety of choices from someone who obviously is experienced, all you have to do is figure which option best suits yourself & your budget. Good Luck & keep us informed!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Crayons

Crayons

I may have exactly what you want. Good running 6 out of 51 coupe. Pm me.

13. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

If it was me and I had a offer as above I know what I would do

14. Bowtie65

Bowtie65

PM sent

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app