Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Happy 4th of July - what's your plans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 3, 2019.

1. atch

atch

Spending the day with sweetie (Mrs. atch) at home. Not going anywhere except to check on the ribs in the smoker.

It's probably too wet here to go see any fireworks tonight anyway.

Ron Funkhouser, Lil32, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  2. When the weather threw me a curve that's exactly what I did, came back home put up the canopy, fired up the smoke and loaded it up with ribs,chicken roasting corn & potato's.

Rain usually doesn't deter my neighbors from shooting fireworks, we can set on the covered front porch and watch the display across the lake. HRP

3. waylow64bird

waylow64bird
    from Buffalo MN

In Iowa goodguys

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

The day turned out different than we had planned but I am enjoying a much needed day off.

5. Did Danny overcook the meat?:eek:
    [​IMG]

6. Come on Mark, I'm a Southern boy, we learn to grill and smoke meat before we learn to drive! HRP

Ron Funkhouser, ct1932ford and Deuces like this.
  7. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Took the truck for a spin to our favorite breakfast spot earlier. I liked the perspective of the street flag behind the truck. After that, just a lazy day off. IMG_1986.JPG

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Right now, I'm fixing to run the flag up the flag pole. I have the flag from my Father's military funeral that draped his casket, but it's so big, and there's never enough of a breeze, otherwise it would be displayed. Fireworks are illegal in our city, although it does't make much difference to a lot of our "citizens". Last year, they really started cracking down on violators; some even spent the night at the cities expense locked up. Fireworks and alcohol don't mix well, and throw in the stupid humans thinking it does hopefully makes an impression on them after spending the night in jail. There was a time, when I too, went out to the local Indian Reservation (Federal land/law) where almost nothing fireworks related is illegal, but that's been 25 years ago, and I have actually grown up. It really wrecks havoc with our dogs, but we have lost two of our four Chihuahua's in the last 3 weeks; one to old age and cancer, the other to Congestive Heart Failure and Pulmonary Edema, but the other two will be hiding as best they can over the last few, and probably the next few, days. At one hospital I worked, for 29 years, was a "hand" a pathologist kept, that had to be amputated from a fireworks "participant" that did't judge the fuse on the M-80 very well after he lit it. We had a lot of fireworks related injuries that particular year; the #2 guy in the Radiology Department had the opinion that something was't "right" with the fuses, that they burned too quickly compared to prior years. I took the X-Rays on the guy, but really never thought they were needed, as there was't much left. Whenever a body part/tissue is removed at surgery, part of the surgery consent form contains a clause that basically states, "the pathologist can use their discretion in the disposal of any severed tissue or member". I think most people would think that meant "everything" gets quickly destroyed/incinerated after pathological examination, but in this case, the pathologist KEPT (his legal right according to the consent form) this "hand", and would bring it out every 4th of July, and display it in his office for employees to see. Just about every hospital employee had seen it one time or another. Sure impressed me, but I also had a whole lot closer exposure X-Raying this guys former hand (thanks for Zip-Lock bags!). Personally, I don't see a need to shoot things up and blow things up, and the cost involved in injuries, property damage, and the effects it has on pets/animals, and former service members afflicted with PTSD. Have a SAFE 4rth! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. atch

atch

By-the-way; I never have to "put up" the flag. It's up all the time. I have, in my front yard, the flagpole that was at the one-room school that my mother attended in the 30's. And, fwiw, it IS lighted at night.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

4thJulyB.jpg Both our 4th shows* are on the 3th****,little one am{25cars). An big one PM {211 cars this time/is often over 300 if no rain all day=This is the 22nd annual doing of City of Miami Springs Classic Car Show. One I had not see before showed up this time, a cool copy of something I think all will like? Edsel 1934 Speedster,He gave me a link to show others;
    I got a trophy too on my old 28A hot rod "Top Show Winner"

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  11. I hear you brother, Me too. HRP

12. Thanks for sharing the video Dana, love seeing that car moving under it's own power. HRP

13. Holtz motors in hales corners Wisconsin has one of the state's largest car shows. I took the coupe there. 20190704_093905.jpg

14. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Went to the Springfield, Ma fireworks tonight, hot rod with the fireworks in the background.

Cliff Ramsdell
    FBD608D5-C2D5-4B45-A0F2-20EF44E06EAF.jpeg

15. 1ton

1ton

90 degrees and went to a family get together. I mentioned that my garage is air conditioned and they all thought that was kind of crazy. 90 degrees today, guess where I am?

Deuces likes this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Wow! We had a "war zone" up until 1:00 A.M. or so last night, especially to the south of the city in the unincorporated part of the city/county.. There's a particularly bad offender family a couple blocks away, and when it all started to get bad, I drove over there. Sure enough, they were in the middle of the street starting to light off a mortar, and the guy walks towards my truck, arms out, to stop me, like he owned the street; so I stopped. As soon as he lit the mortar off, he ran back to the sidewalk, and as soon as it launched, and before he could run back to the launch tube, I ran it over; flattened it out. What's he going to do, call the police about his illegal activities? There's that passive-aggressive part of my personality coming out, but now he did't have a launch tube to continue with. Tough! It was actually worse than last year, when the police began their crackdowns (???). Our remaining two Chihuahua's were scared out of their minds, and still somewhat are this morning. When I brought the flag down last night, shortly after it started getting dark, I found some burn through holes in the nylon fabric, I guess from fireworks fallout. First time for that. To the Hamber who said he always has his flag up, all the time, even during the night, I respect that; we used to do the same, even when my wife and I both worked swing shift. But, after having our flag stolen twice while we were at work, I only put it up on the appropriate holidays now. Pretty sure I know which neighbor was the thief, but have no way of proving it; he's just another drunk from the worlds largest aircraft manufacturer that employs him. Now to clean all the fireworks remnants from the yard and roof; have to do it every year. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

KoolKat-57, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  17. That looks good for a copy!

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took Mrs Bandit to Skamania Lodge up up in the Columbia River George for the 4th. Walking back up to the lodge after a day of golf we came up on a brand new Rolls Royce parked up front at valet. What a car, what a holiday, what a country, what a time to be alive. God bless the world in which we live.

19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Alto saxophone.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app