Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical STP for Steering Box Lube?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doublepumper, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Was talking to a buddy last night and he mentioned he has always used straight STP in his steering boxes as a lubricant. I wasn't aware it could be used for that. I'm curious to know if anybody has/is using it?

Marvin Keller likes this.
  2. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

I haven't used STP before. I have used "0" weight grease used on ag combines for the corn head gear box. It has worked well for me.

rattlecanrods, acme30, X-cpe and 5 others like this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yes. I wouldn't put it in a motor, shit is nasty. Works real good in steering gear boxes and is available everywhere.

4. Slopok

Slopok

Often heard that circle track guys did this.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No! STP is not really a lubricant, it is a heavy dose of viscosity index improvers (long chain polymers, plastic) in a simple base oil. I wouldn't use that crap in anything, let alone use it as the sole lubricant in a steering box. This is one of those things where you just have to let people tell what they do, smile, and walk away.

6. I just used bearing grease in my manual box after rebuilding it, it's worked fine for the past 7 years. HRP

7. squirrel

squirrel

Second for 0 or 00 grease. Used to be you could buy steering box lube but it's kind of disappeared.

STP made neat stickers....I never had any use for their products.

Deuces, 41 GMC K-18, X-cpe and 9 others like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

MSDS says it's mineral oil and 1 to 4.9% of this stuff: CALCIUM LONG-CHAIN ALKYLPHENATE SULPHIDE

Is that really gonna lose the war for the allies??

9. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I thought it was strange to hear that coming from him. He's been doing this a lot longer than I have and I hadn't heard of using it before. Funny thing is, I told him I use John Deere corn head grease and he had never heard of it until I mentioned it.

Deuces, Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  10. I've heard of Lucas oil stabilizer used in manual steering box, but not STP. I also use Corn head grease.

Deuces and LAROKE like this.
  11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It works VERY well. I have been using Power Punch, which is basically the same thing, for 50 years.
    Bardahl makes a similar product also.

Here is a short blurb I wrote several years ago.

Since some folks are not familiar with the HAMB and search engines, I will type this out again.
    First off we are talking about steering gears with a worm and roller or a worm and pin as typical in old Fords.
    With the car sitting on the floor rig up a spring scale to the steering wheel rim so you can measure force needed
    to move the front wheels..Rig a dial indicator on the left front tire to measure movement..With plain 90w or 140w oil
    in the steering box and the wheels set straight ahead pull on the scale until the front wheel moves say 2 inches and
    record the scale reading..Repeat several times to get a good number..The actual number does not matter..
    Now, drain the steering box completely..This may take overnight or longer if you have some really thick goo in it..
    Refill with straight POWERPUNCH..
    Cycle the steering completely back and forth several times.
    Now, repeat the former test and record the results..
    The force required will be considerably less.
    If you don't want to be bothered with all this just take it out and drive it.
    We have had a lot of people come back and say it now feels like power steering.
    Not only will your car steer much easier, the steering gear will now live longer than you will.

AND YES, I know how and what it is supposed to be used for but the scale does not lie. It reduces force required to turn the steering wheel. It works best straight. Maybe is is all voodoo.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

John Deere Cornhead Grease in the 37 Hudson box in my deuce pu.

Deuces, Okie Pete, vtx1800 and 5 others like this.
  13. rusty valley

rusty valley

when i was a kid i had a 36 chevy standard. the wimpy transmission would not hold gear lube, and the dumb kid could not stop the leaks, and therefore burned up a tranny every summer. for a while, i could still find them in junk yards, but once that source dried up i built one up from the best parts i had, and filled it with straight stp. never had another problem. now granted that was not a high mileage car, but it worked. today i run it in my 34's, and model a's steering box's. corn head grease is wonderful stuff too if you have a leaker. happy 4th every one!

Deuces and 170speeddog like this.
  14. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Corn head grease

Deuces, vtx1800, tr_rodder and 2 others like this.
  15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Exactly and Amen

It got used in Houdaille shocks as well.

Deuces and hemihotrod66 like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

I use JD corn head grease. Put it in the leaky CJ3A Jeep steering g box I own and no more leaks. When things move it is liquid, when they are still it is a solid. Kind of like catsup.

Deuces, Okie Pete, vtx1800 and 3 others like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's a lab analysis of STP:
    [​IMG]
    As I said above, it's basically some long chain polymers intended to increase the viscosity of the oil blended into some base oil, it also has a little phosphorus and zinc.

I don't know about losing the war for the allies, but there's very little there to protect the internal gears of a steering box. I doubt the military would approve of it's use....

18. wutnxt

wutnxt

Corn Head grease. The JD dealer is right up the road

Deuces, vtx1800 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  19. It may be nasty, but many moons ago I put in in an old oil burner/leaker engine and it worked....for a while. Thats about the thickest, stickiest stuff I ever worked with.

X-cpe likes this.
  20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

There will be conversation about the pros and cons of this stuff as long as it exists, just like which is better 6 or 12 volts. It is plain to see from the analysis what makes it work in hard bearing applications.
    The bottom line is, it makes these type of steering boxes turn easier and easier is less stress, so they last longer.
    Just because you don't believe in the laws of physics doesn't mean they do not apply to you.

21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

We used white lithium grease in manual steering gears on semis, I imagine it would work in cars as well

22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Why not use Worm Steering Box Lube that's made for those steering boxes..

23. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Quote["The bottom line is, it makes these type of steering boxes turn easier and easier is less stress, so they last longer."]Quote

Just as a side note, you can use LARD and it works fine. It is VERY cheap also. It will only last a year or so though.

24. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Just use a grease that’s designed for steering bix’s, seems like the thing to do

Attached Files:

Deuces, gimpyshotrods and Blues4U like this.
  25. Hombre

Hombre

I have only ever found one use for STP, and that was for doing burnouts, really smokie burnouts Too. When I was a kid in Mt Pleasant Texas we would take a can of STP and smear it all over our rear tires. We were all poor country boys and nothing we owned would do a big burn out on it's on. That crap is so damn slick the truck ( all we drove were farm trucks) would just set there and smoke the hell out of the tires. Smoke cloud was so big the Fire Dept would be called sometimes. Cool thing when your 14.

Now I find out today it was those "long String Polymers", had I known that at the time it might not have been so much fun.

Deuces and Okie Pete like this.
  26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Corn head grease in my Studebaker.

Deuces, Okie Pete, vtx1800 and 2 others like this.
  27. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

I use lubriplate white lithium assembly grease. Most any heavyweight oil will work. I have also used chassis grease in worn boxes with good success. Is it correct, probably not, but it also is not rocket science. Some lube is better than no lube.

28. tim troutman

tim troutman

STP in my 40 and my neighbors 50 fords steering boxes

29. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yet another vote for corn head grease.

30. In my first life, I have installed zerk fittings on steering boxes and pumped in chassis lube. Worked fine and didn't leak. As far as STP being a lubricant or not, I used it for decades as engine assembly lube on crank and cam. Never had a failure. When I worked in a parts store, the selling trick was to dip a flat blade screwdriver in the stuff and let the customer try hold it by the blade with the handle hanging down. They usually couldn't.