Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Changing theme during build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Jul 4, 2019.

1. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

How many have gotten a car all mocked up and ready for the nitty gritty and then decided to build the car in an entire different direction? I got my 1950 Studebaker all set up to be gasser style with a speedway axle. Then I think to myself, I can't weld and have limited fabrication skills/setting up front axle skills. I know in reality finding somebody to do the welding and all on their own time will take forever. Im really thinking about selling my straight axle and putting all the stock stude front end back in but still running my 283. Just building the car to be a nice lo buck driver. I started out wanting a wild crazy hot rod but I think ive discovered for myself I really just want a mild tempered car to take anywhere.

Am I crazy? I know changing things all the time makes the delay worse but I'd rather do it now than when I'm further along. My dads always told me the beauty of this hobby is being able to sell and change anything you want.
    Has anybody else had to mock everything up just to discover it wasn't what you really wanted?
    20190331_121210.jpg

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm positive it's happened before! I think that's what mock ups are for, determining what you want.

Jalopy Joker and dana barlow like this.
  3. I've never had that problem but I would imagine a project that was started and then sat for a while ideas can change and one can change their mind about how they want to build a car.

Most of my projects come together within a year with the exception being the Ranch Wagon which turned into a 7 year long project but I was building it for my wife and she was adamant about what she wanted and stayed the course. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just think that you came to your senses before going to the point of no return.

loudbang, Saxman and Jalopy Joker like this.

5. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Good points, I guess another one of my problems is im pretty young and still discovering what kind of cars I really want for myself vs what I like observing (i.e I like drag racing but have no desire for owning a real full fledged race car). I've got a sportier modern daily driver and discovered that I really don't have that heavy of a right foot. I goose it a little but nothing crazy, so ive determined wild hot rod isn't for me. My bone stock model T and stock 50 Dodge kinda cement that idea lol.
    My better half has taken a small interest to cars too but doesn't care for loud and going fast, I like the idea of having cars that could be enjoyed by both of us.

Mahty likes this.
  6. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

What a great little car.The car looks pretty solid A 283 would give you a good dependable power source.. A little front end work and little hammer and dolly work and you will be off to a flying start.I don't think anybody else in town has one like yours

txcr13 likes this.
  7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I have changed my mind on the project car half a dozen times while I've had it. Sometimes it changes with a swap meet score or Ebay find. Was gonna just run a simple 4 barrel then on Ebay an old crossram showed up and...

8. Mahty

Mahty

Being young causes your thoughts to go all over the place on how to finish a car. Being old does too. Just keep it fun.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. txcr13

txcr13

No, you are not by yourself. Lots of us have either changed direction, or more likely thought seriously about changing direction with our builds. In my case, I am getting close to cranking my '46 Stude coupe, done up old school gasser style, 406 SBC and Muncie 4 speed, '37 Willys beam axle. Now that it's all nicely painted, I worry about scratching it. And, with the 406, I'm concerned about cooling capacity. More than once I have thought that if I could go back, I just might leave the car in its original patina, and go with a 283 or maybe 327. Quicker build, less expensive, and no worries about scratches and overheating.

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember going to a rod run years ago where I hung around with the leadsled guys. Came home and chopped the top. Totally ruined going to car meets for the rest of the summer.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Koz

Koz

I started out building a super cheap and easy to build roadster with whatever I had around....... That went to shit quick!

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as stated, better to change plans at this point - before just putting the stock frontend parts back in search around to see if there is a way to upgrade to end up with better steering and brakes - while looking around maybe find a replacement front fender too - 20190704_132904.jpg

13. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Good to know Im not crazy after all haha. The more I think about it these bullet nose studes look better with the nose down. Helps to make the wild front end styling not so in your face. I'm really itching to dig into my 50 Dodge too, so I might just put the stude on the back burner to think ideas over. I know when coming to a critical decision walking away for a bit is the best way to approach it.

With two other cars on my plate and possibly purchasing my first home ive almost considered selling the Studebaker but i think id kick myself in the ass later for doing it. I know Ill have this hobby with me for my entire life and 3 cars in one lifetime doesn't seem too daunting. I hope.

14. belair

belair

I think you made a smart choice, but changing your mind can get to be an expensive habit in time, money and enthusiasm. Good luck with the Steadybreaker. I like them a lot.

15. A Boner

A Boner

If you buy a car because it was a deal too good to pass up, it can happen easier than if you buy a car because you have dreamed about it forever.

16. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Whichever way you go, I'm going to be real jealous (especially if it's a "Gasser")! Love that business coupe body style. Not so excited about a Chevy engine, but will concede that it makes sense.
    As Yogi Berra said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!"

txcr13 likes this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

I changed the course on my car while it sat for a number of years. There were two styles I loved and had collected parts for both... over time, I found myself really leaning one way so I sold off the 32 frame and a ton of other parts and went head on (without looking back) toward my preferred direction. I'm glad I did.

18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've never changed the direction on one of my builds after starting it. I spend a long time planning before I've started anything over the last 45 years of building cars. I've changed minor things or engine choices because something "better" comes along during the actual construction or a better way to do something, but never the entire theme of a build.

That being said, I admire you for admitting you were headed down the wrong path for you and had the courage and forethought to change the direction of your build before committing to something you didn't really want. Well done.

SPark

19. gene-koning

gene-koning

My current easy to drive, mild mannered, hot rod has been the most fun I've had with a car in years. We can get in it and go anywhere at any time. We took a 160 mile ride on this hot and humid July 4 (no AC here). Good insulation and good air flow makes a nice drive even when its in the 90s.

I do agree with the guy that suggested that before you reinstall your original front suspension you look around and see if you can find a better front suspension and brakes then the original stuff was on your Stude.

I might also suggest that you only do one build at a time. Doesn't matter which one you start on, but stay on the one until its at least a good dependable driver before you start on the next one. Gene

txcr13 and Saxman like this.
  20. My truck took 23 years to get it on the road and I'm proud to say I stuck to my intial plan and love the looks of it.
    As far as your stude goes, there was a bullet nose gasser build here over a decade ago, I would think by now, he drove it from the midwest all the way to California and dipped it in the ocean. I would consider that a good dependable driver myself, so don't think a gasser can't do it.

21. Terrible80

Terrible80

If welding is the drawback, and you want to play with cars " lifelong" ---- learn to weld!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

adam401 likes this.
  22. adam401

adam401

Heres what I've taken away from all this that really should be addressed. If you're into old cars and are going to take on full builds you need to learn to weld. I don't see how that car would go together bone stock without some welding.

Its a very obtainable skill and the cost to get started can be pretty reasonable even on a budget.

Anyway good luck sounds like youve got some cool stuff going on. The main thing is to make the project realistic. Be honest with yourself about your time money and skills. Theres alot of cars sitting apart in garages that guys were going to build into a showcar that are just piles of frustration now.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    X-cpe likes this.
  23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bunch of car crazy people on here telling you that you aren't crazy for changing direction mid stream! Thats rich! :DAll kidding aside its supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, which means do what makes you happy. If a jacked up nasty Stude floats your boat go for it. If not make a decent street cruiser out of it. I have to believe that the radical blown motored, jacked up creations, are not that comfortable to drive more than a 1/4 mile at a time.

txcr13 likes this.
  24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

"I" think you were on the rite track with the stude.
    That look is a full potential look for the bullit nose studes to"me"
    Maybe you just need some encouragement, I think it looks Cool!
    I dont think you have to be competing and running winning times every weekend to own a car like that.

25. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Made my final decision. I've got a 5" dropped axle sitting in the corner of my garage. Im going to use that and sell my straight axle. My spindles and brakes can be used with the dropped axle as well (speedway kit) Just a simple part change that will totally change the mood of the car with no other major mods. I think Ill like it more this way. Plus I won't be worrying about making it go fast to match the race car look i originally wanted. Thank you all for your input it really helped. I'll have to create a new build thread for the "new" car. I plan on learning to weld eventually but really want to get the car driving first. I can practice with patching the floors and go from there

26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Is “just get it running and primered and drive the thing” considered a build theme? :D