Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever deal with Southern Rods & Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JK, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tullycars now holds the trophy for digging up the longest dead thread on the HAMB Poor old post rested in peace since Dec, 14, 2004.

rooman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Thanks to Tullycars for using this old thread, It saves us from a bad seller, with a 15 tear track record.

Randall and Gman0046 like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Despite all the negative complaints about Southern Air, I can't understand how they are still in business. Its a known fact their A/C units are garbage with most units eventually winding up in the trash. Their funky on/off switches alone should tell you sometings wrong. Why anyone would try and save $200 rather then buy a VintageAir unit? VA has been in business right at forty years, with great products and customer service. Can't imagine trying to install an A/C unit with hand drawn instructions written by small children in China.
    There are numerous other reputable parts vendors with excellent customer service to buy from. Buying Chinese repops will always bite you in the ASS.

4. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I bought a set of coil over shocks from them, which were cheaper than Pete and Jakes, even tho their not far from me. They sent me a set with two different springs, they wouldn't make it right, so I then drove down to Pete and Jakes and bought theirs. They said if I guessed wrong on the spring weight they would exchange them until I got it right. I buy almost everything from them now.

5. donno

donno

Bought the southern air package, piece of crap. Traded it for something, probably a cat. RUN, Forrest, RUN!!

lothiandon1940 and Gman0046 like this.
  6. HRP is there, or was there ... a "Willie" that worked there, at one time ... or no ??

7. I've known the Chisenhalls for nearly 35 years. They and their group of amigos, are a wonderful part of San Antonio auto enthusiasts, and Texas hot rodders. Wish I knew the Ford blue, and flamed '39 Ford Coupe guy's name. I got to crawl all over, in, and under that car as a 12 year old. Jack's red '40 Ford coupe was never, very far away. They drove their cars, everywhere. Bonneville, with truck trailering their race car, and many Texas hot rods, "testing" air conditioning ... behind that rig ... the entire way. :) Stellar crew. I'll always be very grateful for their gracious, and humble attitudes, in regards to what they do. Would love to see them again.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Is this Southern Air the same outfit that has full page ads in Street Rodder mag? If so , I had been wondering about them as I don't think I ever saw an address in their ad.
    But if Danny (Hot Rod Primer) says they arent good people that's enough for me:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. I believe Will Drake helped Tom at the shows back when he was first getting started, Will past away in 2009, that was when I did a good bit of business with Southern Rods. HRP

10. I had problems with Southern rods and parts about the same time as the original posts (2004 or so). Needed a set of headers for my coupe. Called and talked to some young guy and asked him if they sold Sanderson Limefire Headers for a sbc. He said they did and had a pair in stock. Great, ship them. When i received them they weren't Sandersons. Call them and they told me they sent what i ordered. Thats when they started to get an attitude. I would have to pay for shipping and a restocking fee. For their mistake, i don't think so. Contacted my cc company and filed a complaint. Took a few weeks but they ate the shipping and restocking fee. Never ordered again from them.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Yes, this thread started in 2004 and clearly shows Southern Air has been ripping off people for at least 15 years. You'd think they would have cleaned up their act in all that time. Why would anyone in their right mind send them thieir hard earned money? Leopards never change their spots.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    olscrounger and dirty old man like this.
  12. hotrod428

hotrod428

Is Southern Rods & Parts the same company as Southern Air?

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In post #29, Hot Rod Primer refers to them as Southern Rods/Southern Air, that they are just down the road from him, and that although he once was a customer, he now drives past them and on down the road to another speed shop. What more do you need to know they are one and the same?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    olscrounger likes this.
  14. TCATTC

TCATTC

This company sells junk, employs idiots, and has non-existant customer service

rust runner and HemiDeuce like this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

An intelligent , experienced expert would not work as an order taker/ phone operated. Most folks wouldn't take the crap that is offered over the phone . You get what you pay for .......to a point , some places have good prices , some don't .There's only 2 places that I've not had to struggle with an order , speedway and summit , they still employ idiots , but they stand behind what they sell .I dealt with the public for 1/2 a century , you can't please all the people all the time , If you ask for help politely , you'll generally be treated in kind. If you approach acting like an ass , expect to be treated the same .Keep in mind , if someone calls you names , tells you your an idiot , tells you what you're providing is junk , and all the other " complimets "some of you have bestowed on phone operators , how would you react ??

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  16. I had all the bad experience that many of you have had, they are very bad people to deal with.
    Never again !

Gman0046, TCATTC and rust runner like this.
  17. Traveler Ron

Traveler Ron

Yes I just got screwed out of about $1700 because they sold my parts that they said would fit and, guess what they do not. They told me that they would fit when I talked to them at the Shades of the Past car show this past September. They tell me I bought the wrong parts. I will be sure to tell everyone I know not to use them for parts cause they just want to sell then you are on your own. I should of searched the web more before dealing with this poor excuse for a business. That is what I get for trying to save a few dollars. Now I will have to go with Vintage air to make it right. Lesson learned.

loudbang, rust runner and HemiDeuce like this.
  18. You would think the Hoffman Group owned them. Both seem to take your money, then do

loudbang likes this.