Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1958 chrysler new yorker question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsfrench, Jul 4, 2019.

1. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

Hello Hambers...
    there is a 1958 chrysler new yorker for sale 200 miles from me ...
    16000 euros = 18000 dollars....
    this is a very very rare car for sell here in france ...
    https://www.reezocar.com/voiture-occasion/chrysler-new+yorker-RZCATSFRA28665C62ECC.html
    i know it is a hemi in that car , but i am desapointed : the seller said it is 252 horses power ,
    i though it was about 350 hp ...
    what kind of trans is original on this car ? ,
    i know it is 3 speed auto trans, but what are the spêcs ( button select , or shift select )
    thanks for your answers...

2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

My "Standard catalog of American Cars 1946 -1975" (Copyright 1987) shows the 1958 New Yorker engine with "Brake horsepower: 345 at 4600 R.P.M."

In some locations, the tax on automobiles is based on horsepower - Possibly the horsepower numbers were "adjusted" (i.e. faked) to save tax.

I do not see a shift lever in the pictures provided.

3. 73RR

73RR

The 58 will indeed have 345hp if the original 392 engine is still in place. If it has some other engine then …?
    The factory installed transmission is a push button operated 3-speed TorqueFlite.

You can a lot of help over at the ForwardLook forum: http://forwardlook.net/forums/category-view.asp

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That model year Chrysler was equipped with a Chrysler Torque-flite 3 speed automatic. Aluminum bellhousing, cast iron main case and aluminum tailhousing.

I agree the horsepower rating sounds too low for the U S Spec engine.....could be a few reasons it is published as it is. Not the least of which an error, or as stated above, for tax purposes. Perhaps modified for lower octane fuel??.

In any case, good cars, torsion bar front suspension, handle well, especially with radial tire upgrade.

Ray

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The Torqueflite shift buttons are gone, so something scary has happened to the trans. The dummy lights are backwards. It has 4 doors. The boom cans on the exhaust are *($%$#@#*(*()%#ing ugly. It has fake leopard skin inside.
    $18,000 would buy a nice one in the US & get it to you.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Get a picture of the engine. It could be the polysphere instead of the hemi. Pushbutton trans.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The photo of the dash area on the left is so dark I am not sure if the push buttons are there or not. Might be in the shadow. No evidence of any other shift mechanism...so I am thinking they are there.

8. It appears there's a large red knob or light mounted at the pushbutton location, plus there's a skull floating in the pic below and to the right of the steering wheel. I suspect that is the shift knob, you just can't see the lever.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

After reading your post I took another look and expanded the image...I see what you mean.....does look modified.....who knows what lurks in this car :confused:

@302GMC ....I think you are correct....sorry I doubted you....;)

Ray

10. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

Thanks a lot guys for your answers.
    Il wont go on this car. .
    Still looking for a good runing car
    From 1955 to 1958 here in France.
    Yesterday, i went for a 1954 chevy next to me. But this car was pricey and not a good deal. .
    Again thanks, for those had interest with my question .
    Best regards from France
    I love the hamb power. ..

TrailerTrashToo likes this.