Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Ford cooling system anti rust

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FECH, Jul 3, 2019.

1. FECH

FECH

Hello,
    Please indicate the best way to clean the rust in the engine block and the radiator. The radiator is removed from the pickup.

Can we use the cooling and anti rust products for modern cars?

2. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I used Oxalic acid. It's sold as wood bleach at Ace Hardware stores. I did mine with the car in running condition, though, mixed it up and filled the system, left it in for a day or so, running it up to temp several times, then drained and flushed a bunch of times. Use google for specifics. It got a bunch of rust out, judging by what flushed out, but my radiator was fouled with oil, and it didn't help with that at all. Had to rod it out.

3. FECH

FECH

Thank you for the response.
    After the system is clean, can I use the modern coolant mixed with tap water? O what is the appropriate antirust coolant products for flatheads?

4. vickckik

vickckik

Most modern coolants have rust and corrosion protection included. Read the labels carefully before choosing. Use distilled water, not 'purified' or 'spring' water to create your mix. Distilled water has no minerals dissolved in it.

5. FECH

FECH

Thank you Guys!

6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Tap water depends on where you live. In some places tap water is okay, but in other areas it has lots of "hardness" i.e. dissolved calcium etc. in it. There was a long thread about it awhile ago.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy