Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods gassers rules trying to keep it true period correct ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jailbird, Jul 3, 2019.

1. jailbird

jailbird

Ok I know lots of people are using these and im fine with that no beef here and these items work well but were they really there pre 1967 gasser rules
    Hoosier tires : my thoughts any name slick can be blacked out why not keep the true brands from the era?
    silver color holleys not gold along with sideway linkage thought they wont let you run this way
    tunnel rams such as a Eldelbrock victor rams and late model weiands tunnels I don't think they where from 1967
    After watching and seeing lots these videos with my own eyes I thought the cars had be true to the correctness according to the rules
    Im going to go with the mvd-007 M&H racemasters anyway for my ride

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    els likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Period Correct is just another of today's hotroding hogwash words like badass, stance, and patina that should be ignored in my opinion.
    Didn't need them then and surely do not need them now.
    If you need to fit a time for the car you are building. Buy magazines for that year and copy the car photos you like. Gassers of any time had guys using the newest/best available and others used parts discarded from the first guys or some homemade parts that actually worked very well.
    Unless you are willing to spend big $$$$ for particular items it will be tough but anything is doable.... Good Luck.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    swade41, quick85, els and 1 other person like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

The thing about drag racers is that they want to beat the other guy, they don't really give a damn about period correct. So the rules for any "nostalgic gasser class" are intentionally open to whatever you want to run, for the most part, as long as the car kind of looks old.

You're tilting at windmills....

vtx1800, Old wolf, swade41 and 9 others like this.
  4. jailbird

jailbird

I totally agree with you as its what ever it takes in the 80's I believe a single victor jr. was most likely the hottest single carb intake over the counter
    I understand what certain groups are trying to accomplish with rules written right there
    but yet some of those items & companies are younger than I am 1969 no where close

swade41 and els like this.

5. if you want period correct join us on the last weekend in September at George rays hot rod wildcat drag strip in parogould Arkansas. what good is your period correct car if you don't race it in a period correct setting? lots of guys talk big about how correct they are. nows the time to stop talking and start racing the way it was done back in the day. see you there.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Wow!! You pull to Arkansas?

Old wolf and els like this.
  7. Quain Stott has the right idea -Southeast gassers. HRP

8. jailbird

jailbird

I was just wondering and surprised why they make all these rules and then you see all these no no's

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

The SE Gassers are about as close as you will get. I raise an occasional eyebrow to some of the stuff they allow, but not very often. I would love to see an altered association with a pre-62 cutoff.

10. squirrel

squirrel

They put on a good show, and have figured out that putting on a good show generally does not work with period correct parts (transmissions, etc).

11. yes I do and farther for the right shows. towing to races far away is period correct.

swade41, LM14, Old wolf and 4 others like this.
  12. The Southeast Gassers made a exception for Gene Cromer and the Moonlighter and allowed him to use a automatic transmission, Gene was racing gassers back in the day.

Quain keeps it pretty close to how the rules were back then. HRP

SEGA RULES

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  13. squirrel

squirrel

The thing is the rules back then didn't limit you to using parts that were available back then. Reality did that for you.

Rules today would have to be very restrictive to keep the cars 100% period correct, and there are very few racers who want to play that game. So, they let a lot of stuff slide, to get folks to participate. It seems to be working fine.

14. most of the guys talking about period correctness couldn't find their own ass using both of their hands. there is nothing correct about period correct because the hobby has always been changing.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

The things that kill me are the "nostalgia drags" that have the pro mod 41 Willys carbon fiber body with an 8' wing. I appreciate the HP and the quality, but I would rather go to the hamb drags.

16. jailbird

jailbird

I love the southeast gassers they are definitely the real deal and a great thing for the sport
    and I would like to be able to try sometime, I just need a strait axle lol. "I got the rest"
    I know their rules, maybe they have cracked down on a few things but in those skull garage videos which I enjoy I see sideway carbs on some of those a gassers like the night stalker and another and one wrong color carb later dated era intakes By the way what happened to the skull garage and porter i really paid attention to watching them as I love tri fives that green 55 is one of the meanest naturally aspirated bad ass and the same goes for bad banana 55 which is injected they are a match and now the new super/stock is mandatory Hoosier which are excellent, but not true period they come black and they are paying money or contingency
    so you have to set your 9" Race masters aside as of this mth. and run the now called Drag Master they let 55-57 in super stock with up to 400 cid that un heard of ar'nt they Junior Stockers I guess I could easily make that class with a intake swap or Rochester inj and bolt my leafs back on. So of alot you guys with tri fives are probably ready to go it says Lakewood tractions bars they will add 100lbs do to their advantage

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks for the kind words about the SEGA.
    As for period correct we are NOT, and I don't see anyway possible any group can be 100%. We do claim to be the most period / era correct of any group in the world that actually RACE the cars. As far as I know the SEGA is the only successful gasser group that classifies the cars by weight to cubic inch and race them elimination style first to the finish line wins just like NHRA did it in 1967. We started in 2011 and every year since then the rules have gotten stricter and we plan to stay on that path. Someone ask what happen to The Nightsalker, he fell victim to the rules getting stricter in 2016. His 11 degree heads, side ways carbs and home made intake was outlawed and he didn't want to make the changes like 6 other A/Gas cars did in order to keep racing with the SEGA. Not having a valve angle rule was getting out of hand and like someone said above the fans were taking notice. Not to mention the cost was getting out of hand as well. Bad Banana is still racing with us but a job move keeps him from making many of our events.
    The Super stock tire was designed just for the SEGA Super Stock class. We wanted the SS class to be as close as possible to the way it was in 1967 so we had to have a small tire like a super stock would have ran in 67. Hoosier was kind enough to spend the money (a lot of money) to build a special tire mold just for the SEGA so we return the favor by making it a spec tire.
    I know I didn't answer all the questions but will be glad to answer any others just ask.
    Again thanks for the support the HAMB members have given the Southeast Gasers over the years.
    COMING UP SEPTEMBER 28 THE SEGA WILL BE IN KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE WITH ALREADY 86 GASSERS AND SUPER STOCKS ENTERED.

Countn'Carbs, egads, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  18. Is a straight axle required? I know they look cool, but a lot of the gassers in the era didn’t have them. Some guys would use station wagon springs in a coupe or Tudor to give it a little lift and help out the weight transfer at launch. That looked cool too, by the way.

swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yes in the SEGA gas classes we do require a straight axle.
    You are right not all gassers had them back in the day but most did. We wrote the rules around what was most popular in the higher normally aspirated gas classes in NHRA competition Example A/Gas. Since the SEGA races first to the finish line wins the last thing a real racer would have in his race car would be a straight axle so we knew if we didn't make it a rule over time we wouldn't have any. Same thing with the automatic rule not all gassers were 4 speed but most were and if we allowed the automatic a racer would be a fool to use a 4 speed with today's automatic transmission technologically.

20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey Quain , what can you tell us about the new Sbc crate motor approved for SEGA?

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It's a new experimental class we have been toying this year called D/Gas. Rusty Sampsel (bad Banana) is helping me get it up and running so he is more knowledgeable about the engine but I'll do my best to explain. The engines are run on a dyno then sealed so the owner can't make any changes to it other than carb and valve adjustments. Other than the engine all other SEGA Gas class rules apply. The class was designed to help keep cost and maintenance down so the average Joe could race on a level playing field. Rusty has one of the engines in his 55, he brings it to select SEGA races to show the fans and racers how the class will work.

22. Quain, we love SEGA down-under. Watch it on Youtube. Keep up the oldie appearance on the cars, ( kids, just say no to vinyl signage). For me, as a spectator, it's about appearance, ( and I like the back-up girls)..
    The D/G thing sounds good. We aussies relate to low classes as we grew up on inline sixes.
    A pal and a few mates went to the last race. They chose 4 events for a USA holiday, and a SEGA meet was one of 'em.

190920XMdrag-copy.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  23. Gasser rules:
    1. Has to be pre-war Willys
    2. Has to have factory stock drive train - '50s Hemi, 4-sp Hydro tranny, narrowed Olds rear end
    3. Has to have tilt 'glass front end
    4. Has to have stock I-beam front axle with 5" riser blocks. NO part of front wheel can be inside wheel well.
    5. Has to have 'Vair steering gear
    6. Has to have Halibrand Gasser front runners
    7. Has to have stock semi-elliptic spring suspension
    8. Has to have stock Willys frame
    9. Has to have 10" piecrust slicks
    10. Has to have 3" pipe rear bumper

I'll add others as I think of them. happy2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Change "Has to" to "Must have". I would like to see you write more gooder.. Signed your english teacher.

chryslerfan55 and Roothawg like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I applaud your efforts.

chryslerfan55 and lumpy 63 like this.
  26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I think SEGA is about as close as you can get as well, I think it would be interesting to have something like Scta AIR class , only original heads , block and crank 1967 and prior based on casting numbers that would really separate the men from the boys

27. How about if I add "It," before the list

Gasser rules:
    It,
    1. Has to be pre-war Willys
    2. Has to have factory stock drive train - '50s Hemi, 4-sp Hydro tranny, narrowed Olds rear end
    3. Has to have tilt 'glass front end
    4. Has to have stock I-beam front axle with 5" riser blocks. NO part of front wheel can be inside wheel well.
    5. Has to have 'Vair steering gear
    6. Has to have Halibrand Gasser front runners
    7. Has to have stock semi-elliptic spring suspension
    8. Has to have stock Willys frame
    9. Has to have 10" piecrust slicks
    10. Has to have 3" pipe rear bumper

41 coupe likes this.
  28. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

All right, let me get this straight. Not all gassers ran straight axles, but current day racers must
    use one. Not all gassers ran four speeds but automatics are not allowed. Something just doesn't
    seem right. Is the idea great (true) racing or appealing to a certain group of racers and spectators?

swade41 likes this.
  29. 6sally6

6sally6

Quain.......I'm a big fan of SEGA too. Been to one( Jackson SC 'House-of-Hook')! Anyway..about that D/G class with the crate motor.
    You DO realize that was tried in dirt track for the same reason. The cheating was soooo rampant a lot of tracks did away with the class. Many shops became wealthy "cheating-up" the crate motors right down to the seals on the head bolts. I would hate to see the same thing 'taint' the SEGA operation.
    6sally6

30. squirrel

squirrel

Gotta sell tickets....and they figured out what sells. Also, finding racers willing to deal with a set of rules can be a challenge.

I think they struck a good balance.