Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ross steering box and column ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inked Monkey, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

This might be a long shot but I was wondering if anybody can id this steering box I drug out of a scrap pile? It appears to have had a wood steering wheel on it and I like the aluminum levers. 20170415_160223.jpg 20170415_135356.jpg

Sent from my LG-K425 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Looks like they used Ross boxes in everything. Mowers and tractors too. So this could be from anything I guess

Sent from my LG-K425 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I still have this thing kicking around. Anybody in 2019 know? Might try to use it in a hotrod

4. squirrel

squirrel

the spark/throttle lever assembly looks unique, maybe you can find one similar to help with your ID. The patent date and how the steering wheel is made put it between 1926 and very early 30s, is my guess

Inked Monkey likes this.

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

@squirrel I didn't even think to look up the patent. Thanks!

dana barlow likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

The patent will not tell you what car it was for, but it will tell you that it was not made before the patent date.

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Appears to be a tractor steering box. Probably just look for something else

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kinda cool to find this stuff in refuse sites, junk piles, etc... but to actually use an early Ross box when there are Gemmer boxes available defies reason.
    I've used Ross boxes, Model A...I had a mint '34 Ross steering in my first roadster.
    Replacing that one with a rebuilt F1 Gemmer was a hard choice, until I drove it out of the garage...Silky smooth, went lock-to-lock effortlessly.
    Box was small enough, and the position of the sector shaft made room for my Belond header.
    Just sharing experience, but to elaborate: When I had the shop, a particular '32 roadster with old Ross steering came in for repairs, cracked wishbone, bent front Mor-Drop axle, spring was rusted and eyes elongated...
    Straightened axle, replaced wishbone, new spring from Morgan's in San Jose.
    Drove it out the door, could hardly turn it.
    Back in the shop it went, customer said he'd been driving it for 3 years, what was the problem?
    I had him drive my '29 highboy around the long block...When he returned, he said he thought they were all 'hard to steer'?
    '50 Ford pickup F1 Gemmer steering box was installed, and he told/showed everyone at 'Fifties Nite'...
    I dried up my source of F1 core boxes!

Yesterday, my NEW '56 mast and worm gear came from Mid-Fifties for my F100.
    The parts package came a week ago. Nice core donated to me from a fine gent in Fresno. Many thanks to Ron, my truck will be Back on the Air!
    Steering is critical, Don't receive a BUM STEER!

Inked Monkey likes this.
  9. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

@Atwater Mike An F1 is my first choice, it's just finding one locally that's reasonably priced. I have more stuff to barter than free cash.

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Maybe @Pete Eastwood or @dana barlow want to donate one since I'm trying to change out the cowl steering on my rpu?............ ;)

raven likes this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I have in parts junk box. Bad F1 box that's not good inside,rust pits on gears an bearings dead,plus extra bad parts nother one. [ when buying F1s or any box, look inside for water rust damage]. If you were closer ,like near in fla. You could have junk free as spares,but it's not wroth even shipping. The new parts too fix them up inside, is still more then just finding one that's still working OK.
    But in most case's as building a rod,if you go to any junk yard or find in the woods, look for a dumped Van or car {any brand}with a box,you can get one free for taking. Hope that helps a little,?Inked

Inked Monkey likes this.
  12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Might try this.

Ross Gear
    800 Heath St
    Lafayette, In
    765-423-5372

Inked Monkey likes this.
  13. HugTruckGuy

HugTruckGuy

Hi, @Inked Monkey! My son found this post while searching for Ross Steering Columns. He and his brother have some antique Hug trucks from the late 1920's that could use a steering column like this one. We definitely would be interested in the throttle/spark levers and tube mounting brackets if you're not interested in selling all of it. The column itself may be too small but not sure from the pics. We'd need some measurements to know for sure. Here's a pic of the base gearbox on one of the trucks we're trying to put back together. We only have one steering column for three truck frames and hope to make two trucks. I'm new to this group so I have no idea what to do to communicate with you off-line without breaking the rules. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

Attached Files: