Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional hot rod style question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Lets say one is building a traditional style car/truck,,

SBC 3 speed top loader, stock rear end, juice brakes and drums all the way around..

I know I know the SBC isn't true traditional should be a flattie or a 303 olds, or a nail head and such..

Question is The trans adapter can take the starter mounted to it, but then the block also has starter provisions also..

What starter would you use ?

The later one where you can buy at any auto parts store if it takes a shit and you can change it any where..

Or the old skool 3 bolt bell housing mounted one where you have to wait a day or so to get a new one or try and find a shop (if they still exist) and rebuild it why you try and wait.

Yes those shops do still exist but very far and few in-between any more...…..

In the Phx area I only know of one that still does that kind of work and how much longer will they be open.. Hard to say.

Also how many people would even notice having a old skool style starter?

Rich B. likes this.
  2. How bout build with the old school starter then buy 2 as extra just in case

3. The sbc has been around since 1955, that should qualify as traditional if dressed right. Personally I would go with the starter that is easiest to replace .

4. Starter should be the same, different cone. Swap cone onto the garbage pep boi unit if this situation occurs.
    Or give it a shove and pop the clutch. No new fangled electric starting contraption required

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Johnny Gee and scotty t like this.

5. Well before you say that an SBC isn't traditional you would first have to define traditional. It would certainly be a good choice for any car built after '55. Just food for thought.

I would have to say that I would use whatever starter I had that was functional. That said some of the adapters will not work with anything but the older style 3 bolt starter. Not a problem at my house there is usually at least one of those in good working order here. Not being readily available at the local autoparts in Anywhere, USA probably is not an issue, any car with a standard transmission will push start just fine.

Tim likes this.
  6. Scrubline

Scrubline

All good points porknbeaner, but you guys have to admit it's getting a lot more difficult these days to build an entirely traditional hot rod. The scarcity and cost of vintage car parts (just look at this site's classifieds) is making it difficult for the pork and beans guys to build a completely period correct car. Guys like Edelbrock have made it a lot easier to build a powerful small block Chevy these days so we can get out and drive our beloved toys, and isn't that what it's all about? Your aftermarket starter or intake manifold doesn't make your project any less of a traditional hot rod. I know, I just made some sacreligious comments to my fellow Hambers......you may proceed with my public flogging.

7. @Scrubline I will forgive you just becuz of your Avatar

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

I went with the block mounted starter with a cast iron bell housing meant to take the bell housing mounted starter. Just took a die grinder to the offending area of the bell housing.

9. Yes some good points taken..

Also I am aware of how to jump start a clutch vehicle, many nights camping leaving the 2 way radio going and draining the battery... You learn real quick how to park on a hill nose down LOL.

If it is a 50's 60's build a SBC would fit in. (Corvette valve covers any one BAH )

Then I was thinking if using new style starter there would be this ugly gap on the adapter where the old one would go... Hmmmm

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The old school 3 bolt starter is cheap and available from the local parts haus...

22AC3734-8824-470F-829F-4EAD8941B965.png

11. If you look it is "ship to home" and NO store pickup.

Wouldn't do any good when I should have made that left turn @ Albuquerque.

12. The SBC is just about the most "traditional" engine there is after a flathead.
    But concerning the choice of starter, if your block is a later one with the block mount stater then you already blew the traditional build.
    I went with a block mount starter. My bellhousing starters were all bad and I didn't want to buy another. I would go with the easiest....I am lazy that way...

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I ordered mine at the store a couple miles from my house and picked it up there. Currently installed in my ‘48 Mercury with the Offenhauser a-dap-tor kit. :cool:

Sorry to hear of all the difficulties you’re having in whatever backwater you hail from :p

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Shoot! They’re even in stock at my local O’really Auto Pharts!

0EDB7EBF-AD76-43C1-B785-9C7189079D17.png

15. Yo Scotto,

I wear a Green shirt at my work... yes starter was at my hub had within a hour.. PLUS A LIFE TIME WARRANTY !
    Unlike those that shop where they wear red shirts. That's what I was commenting on.

And to top it off a better price.

Guess I made up my mind OLD SKOOL it is.