Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lending a helping hand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 29, 2019.

1. A few have mentioned that in the world we live in today precautions should be taken and I suppose that is prudent but considering the age of the people that are in trouble and the repairs are taking place in broad daylight ,not to mention there are a lot of people at the rest area it never occurred to me that I could be a victim while offering aide & assistance.

Had it been after dark I would have do things differently, possibly carried someone with me or put my 38 in my pocket, I know the world ain't the same place it was when I was growing up but I have always been the kind of neighbor to help out if I could, hopefully that won't be my downfall, I certainly don't want to become cynical. HRP

2. silverdome

silverdome

It's nice to know there are still good people willing to help a person in need. Thank you for helping them, the world needs more people like you.

3. RDR

RDR

Thanks Danny. Have always thought the 'Fellow Pages' was the best part of NSRA.

Deuces and dirty old man like this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Idon't know anyting at all about the NSRA or their "Fellow Pages", but yall have me interested. Please, tell me more.

5. Dave, when you join NSRA you receive a magazine called Street Scene each month along with a membership card and some NSRA decals, but one of the best thing about it is the fellow pages that you receive once a year, it is a list of states broken down to citys that list the names & phone numbers of members in that town that offer assistance or information to any member that is having trouble or needs help on the side of the road.

I have been called 4 times since I joined in the 1970's, I was able to get them all on their way but we had to get a roll back for a guy from Florida that knocked a hole in his gas tank, we brought the car to my house and had it repaired in just a couple of hours.

[​IMG]

The Hamb did something similar several years ago, I think Denise was behind it and I was able to help Brad after his fuel pump literately fell apart between Lavonia and Commerce, Ga.

I had loaded my son in law my pickup and drove Brendas flower Shop van to where he was stopped, huge traffic jam behind him but we managed to get a tow strap hooked to his panel truck and that mini van towed him down the side of the internet until we got to a truck stop, Stevie G showed up and I left Brad in capable hands. HRP

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

When I visit my son in Las Vegas, I see lots of young ladies walking along Tropicana Street looking like they need assistance. I guess I'm not the helping kind because I don't stop. :D

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

HRP: What you did was really great. These days folks are afraid to help people
    because of all the crazies out there.

8. Dave, the ironic thing is I always keep the fellow pages with me when I am on the road, I had it with me when we went to Memphis, Novi, Michigan,Columbus & Louisville but when Dave installed the new interior I took the fellow pages out of the car and forgot about it, I could have used it sitting in the parking lot at the Advanced Auto in Cherryville,N.C. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. I keep an old Fellow Pages in the daily drivers also.

Phil

spiffy1937, jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Very Well Done HRP And It Ties The Hobby Together....

chryslerfan55, spiffy1937 and Deuces like this.
  11. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

And I'm willing to bet, Danny, that was just one of a slew of rescues and help outs over the years. It's the kind of Guy you are. Bill

Deuces and Rickybop like this.
  12. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Good Job Danny!

Deuces likes this.
  13. Well done HRP.
    My wife used to get so mad at me for pulling up behind someone o. The side of the road and asking/helping them out.
    Then one day we were headed back from vacation and had tire go down on us on the Washington beltway, about an hour and a half from home. Had both our young kids in the back plus one of their friends, traffic zooming by at 80mph,
    I sent them up on the grass off the shoulder out of harm's way and started changing the tire. I had just pulled the flat off and I see the POS Jack that comes with new cars is starting to fold. I stuff the tire back on the hub somehow managing to hit the lug holes on the first try and the car settles back down on the flat with the POS jack wedged under the sill...
    I pull out my phone and am getting ready to try and call in a huge favor from someone and this mini van pulls up in front of my car, an entire family of Spanish speaking folks piles out. Two of them walk over and survey the situation and one goes back to the minivan and produces a floor jack and a 4 way... it was like an F1 pit stop. The spare was on and I was trying to convey my immense gratitude while reaching for my wallet but they just smiled and waved no-no-no, piled in the van and were gone... literally 7-10 min from the time they stopped untill they were pulling away.
    We got the car loaded up and got back on the road, my wife looked over at me and said "I will never give you crap for stopping and helping people ever again" and she hasn't.
    It goes around and it comes around...
    Chappy

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had an experience back in 97-98 to help out an older couple in a parking lot of one of our National Parks. My wife and I pulled up and parked next to them in our 96 F-150. They had a similar model an were standing next to it looking very perplexed. They had locked their keys inside.
    I kind of chuckled and said I'll get you right in. I had done this to mine and kept 2 aluminum welding rods in the rear fender well under the bed. Since this truck had wind wings, I had pull in the button and turned it thru the rubber in about 15 seconds and opened their door.
    They were extatic and couldn't thank me enough. I was my pleasure I assure you. At one time all America would do this without fear...too bad today.

HOTRODPRIMER, jim snow and spiffy1937 like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's really very cool that hot rodders have a history of helping people.

It's a no-brainer though as they say. We're the guys with the tools in the trunk LOL!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could bet the farm...

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

Your a good man Danny!!!.... Cheers bud! IMG_20171221_200044.jpg
    ;)

48fordnut, HOTRODPRIMER and wraymen like this.
  18. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't surprise me in the least....bueno mi amigo

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. RDR

RDR

I'm guessing that these days if a hamber needs help somewhere ...that they could use their computer/smartphone to get ahold of another hamber in the area, huh?
    I don't have that kind of computer/phone thingy so still do carry "Fellow Pages"

Deuces, jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Like you I have a small antiquated cell phone good for talking and that's it. HRP

Deuces and jim snow like this.
  21. Great thing you did for them Danny! Hope they had an uneventful rest of the trip down here to Charleston.

Deuces, jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. That was a great call on your part . I find myself always stopping to offer help for stranded motorist.
    Vic

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and jim snow like this.
  23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job Danny, I always try to help stranded folks as well. A while back it was near Christmas. I went to the store and there was a guy there with his hood open on an old pickup and it was late. He was in dirty work clothes and had had a hard day it appeared. He had a broken top radiator hose and was quite perplexed and wanted to get home to his family. I told him hang on. Went home and got a piece of hose , some clamps etc and water. Went back and got him going. He was so grateful I thought he was going to cry. Wanted to pay me--told him no thanks and have a nice holiday

24. What a nice bedtime story! Good thing you done there. You da' man.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

And then some!!!!!....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Never heard of the fellow pages. Looks like I might join the NSRA.
    I have one of the phones ,but only use it to take pics.
    Thanks all for the uplifting read.

jim

HOTRODPRIMER and dirty old man like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In the late 50s and on thru the mid 60s I worked at the Fisher Body/GM plant in ATL, about 40 miles from here. The route was mostly on a divided 4 lane not limited access US 41hwy. There were lots of guys from here working there and we had all sorts of car pools and also guys who did all the driving (have NO IDEA why this damn thing keeps jumping to bold), and the passengers paid to ride.
    At the time of this story there were 8 of us riding in a "9 passenger" '59 Chev. wagon., all young and boisterous, and working the afternoon shift, 4-12pm.
    Beautiful, sunny day, and we were on the way to work when a very pretty woman passed us, and as usual for us we all yelled and waved as she went by. Just a short distance up the road, she had a fast deflating flat tire and we saw it take place and stopped to help, all piling out of the station wagon and rushing towards her car,
    Our group rushing over like that startled and frightened her until we assured her we had stopped to help her. She gave us the trunk key and we went to work, each doing some porton of the changing to the spare tire, getting it done quickly. Then we advised her that she should stop at a tire shop or full service gas station and get the tire repaired, reinstalled and the spare returned to the proper spot in the trunk. She of course offered payment, which we of course refused and we all piled in the wagon and off to work we went,

28. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

2x

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

I loved the Fellow Pages when I lived back in the Midwest. Now i'm out here in Arizona where NSRA doesn't have much of a presence. Goodguy's should take a page from NSRA (which they won't do) and have their own Fellow Pages. They could call it the Good Guide (but they won't).

30. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

You have done a great service not only to the old guy with the 57, but for all of us.